Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Report SSH Attackers?
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Report SSH Attackers?

MunMun Member
edited February 2013 in General

Since I know that there is a ton of providers here, what would be the best way to report a SSH attacker IP address, and would you even want the information?

Comments

• CoreyCorey Member
    edited February 2013

@Mun said: Since I know that there is a ton of providers here, what would be the best way to report a SSH attacker IP address, and would you even want the information?

Report it to the abuse email listed on the ip address. Your provider probably doesn't care and can't do anything about it anyway. As far as giving it away there is some universal fraud database that a lot of people here use that I can't remember that has lists of fraudsters on it... but I don't think it includes ip addresses of ssh attackers and such.

• skssks Member
    edited February 2013

Back when I was on Linode and was being occasionally SSH bruted by other linodes I reported it a few times (email/ticket, forgot which) and they thanked me. I assume any respectable provider would appreciate the notification, and it can't hurt to send a simple email with relevant logs.

• jarjar Patron Provider, Top Host, Veteran
    edited February 2013

@sks said: Back when I was on Linode and was being occasionally SSH bruted by other linodes I reported it a few times (email/ticket, forgot which), and they thanked me. I assume any respectable provider would appreciate the notification, and it can't hurt to send a simple email with relevant logs.

Agreed. You're going to get ignored by some providers and ISPs. That's fine. However, if you tell me that one of my clients is trying to brute force you I'm going to ask for the logs, start watching netstat, and I'm going to nail them. I honestly get angry when people try to abuse my services.

• @jarland said: Agreed. You're going to get ignored by some providers and ISPs. That's fine. However, if you tell me that one of my clients is trying to brute force you I'm going to ask for the logs, start watching netstat, and I'm going to nail them. I honestly get angry when people try to abuse my services.

I think he is talking about random ssh attackers. Not attackers on the same network.

@Corey said: I think he is talking about random ssh attackers. Not attackers on the same network.

Yeah that's what I mean. File an abuse report. If I were to get an abuse report about one of my clients being one of those random attackers, I'd be furious.

• @jarland said: Yeah that's what I mean. File an abuse report. If I were to get an abuse report about one of my clients being one of those random attackers, I'd be furious.

Ahh yes right.

• raindog308raindog308 Administrator, Veteran

I reported portscanning to Linode once and they replied "ah, you mean that client we just terminated" - that was nearly an exact quote :-)

On the other hand, I had a DOS attack from Limestone that took down my web server. I was able to defeat it with iptables (it was not big, just constantly hammering port 80). I'm certain the person was attacking the wrong IP because it was just my personal wiki VPS, but regardless, I contacted Limestone abuse twice and never got a response.

• "If I were to get an abuse report about one of my clients being one of those random attackers

If I were to file an abuse report every time someone tried to brute force something on one of my servers or VPS's I'd need to hire an extra employee to handle the extra workload. It's more effective, and quicker, to block small scale random attackers (i.e. 12 year olds using a single IP) in your firewall.

"I contacted Limestone abuse twice and never got a response.

Their abuse department is useless.

@DomainBop said: If I were to file an abuse report every time someone tried to brute force something on one of my servers or VPS's I'd need to hire an extra employee to handle the extra workload. It's more effective, and quicker, to block small scale random attackers (i.e. 12 year olds using a single IP) in your firewall.

I know. I actually do. It's quite time consuming but I'd want to know, so I extend the courtesy.

• pechspilzpechspilz Member
    edited February 2013

Just apt-get install fail2ban and forget about ssh brute forcing. I could report attackers all day but it ain't worth the time.

• Just change the port and 99% will just try the next ip.

• @DomainBop said: If I were to file an abuse report every time someone tried to brute force something on one of my servers or VPS's I'd need to hire an extra employee to handle the extra workload.

I think some people do do this actually.

• @pechspilz said: Just apt-get install fail2ban and forget about ssh brute forcing. I could report attackers all day but it ain't worth the time.

@dmmcintyre3 said: Just change the port and 99% will just try the next ip.

These go nicely hand-in-hand. By eliminating 99% of the kiddie attempts you lessen the workload for fail2ban.

I also firewall the SSH port to a few address ranges that I might be using. That eliminates 99% of the remaining 1% :)

• All of our SSH attacks are automatically logged. Its seriously over 100 per day/node. PM me if you are interested in the data.

• nstormnstorm Member
    edited February 2013

Hah I always firewall my SSH to my subnets only. Hopefully I got static IP everywhere. And even if on mobile connection (yes, even from my smartphone ;P) I just use OpenVPN to connect to my server and when can use it to access other boxes.
    But I do report a spammers/attackers from time to time. Depends on if they aren't blacklisted everywhere and I'm not sure if their hosts abuse are not responsive (like PSYCHZ-NETWORKS, which I just blocked all their subnetworks at all, nothing good are coming from their network).
    But I've just come up with a funny idea. What if you use iptables MIRROR target for the attackers? :P

MIRROR (IPv4-specific)

This is an experimental demonstration target which inverts the source and destination fields in the IP header and retransmits the packet. It is only valid in the INPUT, FORWARD and
    PREROUTING chains, and user-defined chains which are only called from those chains.

EDIT: btw, I've used to monitor ssh attackers long time ago. Most of the bruteforcers were just a zombie hosts, with weak passwords cracked by the same bruteforcing bots. I've just picked a random IP from sshd logs and tried to connect to. Funny I've logged in 2 attempts with root, password was... lol 'password' :P
    Was some sort of corporate mail server running there. I've notified them about being infected and weak password, but they've never responded.

• @nstorm said: What if you use iptables MIRROR target for the attackers?

Then your ip become blacklisted!

• @Spencer said: Then your ip become blacklisted!

Depends on...
    Sure I wouldn't recommend to do this on production.

• @phxadam said: All of our SSH attacks are automatically logged. Its seriously over 100 per day/node. PM me if you are interested in the data.

That doesn't sound like a lot. I've been running a ssh honeypot for the past five months and I had 175965 attempts. That's around 1170 per day. If anyone is interested in any stats let me know.

• sminozzisminozzi Member
    edited August 2016

Hi,

We developed this free WordPress plugin to report attacks:

spam snipped

Regards,

Bill

• It's all hit and miss whether or not an ISP will care, so it really isn't worth the time to report anything. The exception is any abuse that comes from other customers of my own ISP, of course. There is a financial incentive to keep me on their network, and I have an incentive to keep the network I use clean. Until other ISPs offer a reward for reporting abusers, though, I just can't bother to do more than firewall their networks.

• netomxnetomx Moderator, Veteran

Necro

• If you feel the need to wear extra layer of tinfoil hat. Port knocking could complement fail2ban, IP restriction and changing SSH port.