Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

ownCloud - any experiences?
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

ownCloud - any experiences?

BigBlueBigBlue Member
edited February 2013 in General

Dear LET community,

currently, my VPS is running dry, as I decided to pause my site for some months.
To make up for that, I thought that I might want to use my VPS for something else:
as an independent data storage.

The easiest and most mature method I've found is ownCloud, which is an open-source solution and sounds quite promising.

Does anyone here have any experience with it and can recommend it?

Comments

• jarjar Patron Provider, Top Host, Veteran
    edited February 2013

Too buggy. You can go a long time without hitting a bug, then you do and you could lose data. I really want to like OwnCloud, but I tested it in a larger scale setting and when I had several users organizing their own content the bugs began slipping out. Some of these OwnCloud hosting services may be better tweaked, but I'm leaning against it for my own use.

Just my 2 cents. I prefer ajaxplorer.

• CoreyCorey Member
    edited February 2013

@BigBlue said: Does anyone here have any experience with it and can recommend it?

There have been quite a few people here use it, and I've heard them complain about the application and resources it uses, bugs, etc.... It seems like an easy way to do what you are wanting though.

• murkymurky Member
    edited February 2013

I don't like the UI of ownCloud.

I use AjaXplorer, which I find much more appealing. Try it: http://demo.ajaxplorer.info/

• I've been running it for over a year, no data loss or issues encountered aside from an occasional token expiry while uploading.

• All I care is desktop sync client and ownCloud's desktop client sucks.

• mihhamihha Member
    edited February 2013

I tried it on different occasions and with different versions but every time I experienced issues which turned me away. I just need to sync my files to a remote server and I find Sparkleshare solution much better and faster. Webdav that ownCloud uses is really too slow

If only I could find good tutorial on how to integrate gitlab (or any other server web interface for a Sparkleshare) so I can access my files from the web also, I would be more than happy. So, if anybody can share step by step tutorial on how to integrate any kind of web interface to the Sparkleshare repository, I would be more than grateful

• What's really cool about ownCloud is their desktop sync client.
    I'm also using ownClouds' calendar for syncing my Outlook calendar at the office (requires an additional plugin for Outlook). Thanks to calDav the calendar can be accessed from iOS as well.

It's a great application for a VPS (just don't store any unencrypted private data). Works very well to exchange files with friends à la Dropbox.

• netomxnetomx Moderator, Veteran

@Jun said: All I care is desktop sync client and ownCloud's desktop client sucks.

@pechspilz said: What's really cool about ownCloud is their desktop sync client.

wtf?

• @netomx said: @Jun said: All I care is desktop sync client and ownCloud's desktop client sucks.

@pechspilz said: What's really cool about ownCloud is their desktop sync client.

wtf?

explained - ownCloud cannot be Dropbox alternative in terms of efficient file sync. Critical features such as syncing thousands of small files together or big files efficiently are lacking. However, ownCloud has its own strong productivity tools such as calendar or contacts sync which is not integrated in Dropbox.

• 2 questions on OwnCloud --

1) Any body have created a commercial application with their own interface on top of cloud?

2) Any Personal experiences with OwnCloud ..

• 24khost24khost Member
    edited February 2013

http://seafile.com/en/home/
    Anybody try this

• @24khost looks interesting, might deploy that onto one of my spare containers and try it out,

• any commercial examples of owncloud ??

• The client has a mind of it's own some times. It sometimes feels like syncing, sometimes like just deleting a few odd files and sometimes just sitting there, content with the amount of work it has done even though half the folder has not been uploaded.

I think it's main fallback is that it runs of PHP and will never be able to perform tasks like background daemon processing without your client staying connected or running a cron (there are dodgy workarounds for PHP, but they are not used by owncloud). PHP does also have a larger overhead that a lower-level language so it is naturally slower.

I have moved on to sparkle share, both for my personal love of git and for the fact that I have all versions sitting on my hardrive, and not on a server. I set up a sparkleshare server which instantly auto-backs up to a few other git servers of mine so my data is always in at least 3 places at one time.

• SpeedBusSpeedBus Member, Host Rep
    edited March 2013

@fresher_06 said: any commercial examples of owncloud ??

Yep, http://owncloud.org/providers/

• Thanks for this extensive response, everybody!
    Although apparently, there is no fully-functional (incl. sync), cross-platform solution right now, which appears to be mainly due to PHP not supporting daemons and other required functions without extensive hacking.
    As I need a Linux and Android client, I think I'm staying with Dropbox for now, but I'll definitely keep an eye on Ajaxplorer, OwnCloud and Seafile.

• NeoNeo Banned

Its fine but when i see in every release the security fixes... grrr

• @BigBlue .. here is the Anroid App for OwnCloud .. works well for me .. https://ci.tmit.eu/job/ownCloud-Android/