Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Virtualization software
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Virtualization software

MuZoMuZo Member
edited February 2013 in Help

Hi,

I recently got a dedicated server with 5 extra IPs and I want to use it to run virtual machines (both Linux and Windows).
I don't have much experience with virtualization so I'm hoping that someone could suggest which software to use. I can only use free software, and I would prefer support for software RAID1.

Server specifications:
Intel Xeon E3-1230
16GB RAM
2x 1TB HDD
I also have HP iLO.

I'm having trouble configuring the network, the main server IP is in a completely different range to the 5 additional IPs (83...* v. 78...*) and I've tried every possible combination of gateway, broadcast, and netmask trying to get networking in the VMs but I can never get a connection.

I managed to get Proxmox KVM working using hostroutes, but not OpenVZ nor VMWare due to the networking issue. I don't want to use Proxmox because it doesn't support software RAID and the other hard drive is wasted.

Comments

• Install via Debian and then install Proxmox after you setup the raid? (I believe this works?)

OpenVZ should be able to get that working (the different IP ranges).

• MuZoMuZo Member
    edited February 2013

@HalfEatenPie said: Install via Debian and then install Proxmox after you setup the raid? (I believe this works?)

Tried that, "working", but have no clue on how to setup LVM, so I used raw image and IO in vps was 900KB/s

@HalfEatenPie said: OpenVZ should be able to get that working (the different IP ranges).

When I accessed debian container using vzctl, in /etc/network/interfaces there was written that the file was autoregenerated each time so no modify would be saved.

• @MuZo what ovz templates are you using? I've come across some ubuntu ones that never have connectivity unless you restarted networking.

• jarjar Patron Provider, Top Host, Veteran

/etc/vz/vz.conf
    NEIGHBOR_DEVS=all

• AlexBarakovAlexBarakov Patron Provider, Veteran

You won't be able to run Windows on ovz. You'd need xen or KVM. I personally prefer KVM. Even if the IPs are from different subnets, that shouldn't be a problem. Just configure the network bridge and get each of the VMs network configuration done manually (asuming you would be using no panel) and it would work perfectely fine. Our KVM nodes have IPs from 3 different subnets, working without any problems :)

• mikhomikho Member, Host Rep

To bad that its software raid, otherwise I. Would have suggested vmware. It's so nice :)

• I prefer XenServer for dedicated servers. It's really easy to use, and there is very little configuration required to do most things.