Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Do you Secure/Harden you Server?
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Do you Secure/Harden you Server?

earlearl Member
edited February 2013 in General

Hey guys, just curious as of how many of you actually harden your server?

I have to admit I'm pretty lacking when it comes to securing my server, I use to install CSF with Webmin but lately I just disable password based logins to SSH and use Private Keys for authentication, that's about all..

In recent light of all the vulnerabilities, I'm interested in tightening up security for my server, it would be nice to know what most of you do to secure your server..

Comments

• No, because I'm not a paranoid fuck.

I run all my servers with SSH open on port 22, root login enabled, and use the root account for everything on my VPS. I also transfer my SSL keys from a place to another by uploading them to Mediafire.

Come at me.

• SpiritSpirit Member
    edited February 2013

@murky said: I run all my servers with SSH open on port 22, root login enabled, and use the root account for everything on my VPS. I also transfer my SSL keys from a place to another by uploading them to Mediafire.

True spirit of Web 2.0!

Folksonomy: Free Classification of Information
    Rich User Experience
    User as a Contributor
    Long Tail
    User Participation
    Basic Trust
    Dispersion

@earl all "standard" (no root login, unstandard ssh port, whitelist, AllowUsers...)

• earlearl Member
    edited February 2013

@murky said: I run all my servers with SSH open on port 22, root login enabled, and use the root account for everything on my VPS. I also transfer my SSL keys from a place to another by uploading them to Mediafire.

Hmm.. Well if it works, more power to you!
    But I on the other hand don't want to do that!! thanks..

• earlearl Member
    edited February 2013

@Spirit said: @earl no root login,

This is one bad habit I can't get over..

-- just remembered that LEA use to mention he wrote his own script for securing his VPS.. wonder if anyone else does this?

• @earl said: Hey guys, just curious as of how many of you actually harden your server?

Yes.

• Depends on what you mean by hardening. I change the SSH port, disable password login, disable root login, remove all services i don't need and run the ones i need with different suer accounts. I guess as long as there isn't some remote code execution vulnerability in OpenSSH i'm fine

• @Damian said: Yes.

Care to share?

@gsrdgrdghd said: Depends on what you mean by hardening.

Yes generally I do the same thing, change SSH port, disable password login, remove services.. I'm getting the impression that this is what most people do..

I seem to have lost all my bookmarks but there use to be some great articles on WHT that went more in-depth to securing your server then the above I mentioned, there was also a site dedicated to hardening centos but can't seem to find it anymore..

• jarjar Patron Provider, Top Host, Veteran
    edited February 2013

@earl said: Yes generally I do the same thing, change SSH port, disable password login, remove services

This is most effective in keeping out the random scanners that have 0 concern about who their target is. This can also be achieved by blocking China Telecom's IP ranges. Little joke there, but obviously a degree of truth in it. Keeping out the automated scanner and brute force machines is easily done without doing those things as well. It's just most easily done by doing those things.

Now if you're being targeted by someone specifically with malicious intent toward you, this is where you need to consider your loose ends. You need to think about every potential point of failure and you need a plan for each one. You should know what to do as far as e-mail, passwords, facebook, etc. Don't get caught with your pants down. On the server side, set up trip wires everywhere. E-mail alerts for logins to any account. Fail2ban or LFD. Alerts for escalation. Do not have excessive drivers installed on the system. Just this last year we had an exploit in an nvidia driver. Don't assume you won't piss someone off either. The time to do this isn't after you learn that someone doesn't like you.

Above all else, have a backup plan for when everything fails and the worst happens. The worst failure for the hacker is when you see what they've done, take note of the devastation, then simply wipe the machine and be up and running again in a couple hours with new security measures to address their point of entry.

Yes, I'm paranoid.

• krs360krs360 Member
    edited February 2013

@jarland said: Yes, I'm paranoid.

Not if they're really out to to get you :p

Yes, I tend to change ports and disable root logins and use something like fail2ban.

• I harden it a little. :D

• @jarland

Hey thanks the input.. yeah changing the SSH port, disabling password login is probably one of the better things to do, it's really shocking when you look at your logs how many attempts there was, even when I had kloxo installed I would change the FTP port and that drastically reduced the amount of attempts..

I guess security is more on the boring side of having a VPS, but after recently being hacked it's really something to think about!

@jarland said: Yes, I'm paranoid.

you maybe paranoid but it does not mean they're not out to get you!! :)

• I have made some experiments in the past - create a VPS and leave it online with some really stupid password, like 1234, default ssh port. Then watch it and see how fast ot gets hacked. Took less than a day the last time i tried this.

• @krs360 said: use something like fail2ban.

I think I will try this I wish there was a firewall with a GUI of some sort would make it easier to use, I liked CSF but I need to install webmin for the GUI..

@budingyun said: I harden it a little. :D

Ohh you do, do you!! Well let's keep our private lives private eh! :)

• @rds100 said: I have made some experiments in the past - create a VPS and leave it online with some really stupid password, like 1234, default ssh port. Then watch it and see how fast ot gets hacked. Took less than a day the last time i tried this.

Which country took the prize?

• @earl China :)

edited February 2013

@earl said: firewall with a GUI

http://configserver.com/cp/csf.html
    Use: https://ipaddress:8707

CSF has an often ignored standalone interface.

• @earl fail2ban is REALLY easy to config, should be okay with it, but yeah it done through a text editor.

• Haha.. I would have thought Russia but China a very close second

Oh I did forget one more thing you can do for preventive measure.

http://rules.emergingthreats.net/

Don't underestimate their ability to keep up to date lists. This can easily be an "opt out" for the big exploit of the day when those come around.

• Use: https://ipaddress:8707

Interesting.. I will definitely give that another try.

@krs360 said: @earl fail2ban is REALLY easy to config, should be okay with it, but yeah it done through a text editor.

Found this on Linode it does seem easy enough to setup

• I do the basic security settings that i learned from linode's library

• @Vladorz said: I do the basic security settings that i learned from linode's library

Yeah I'm noticing that Linode is just a wealth of info.

• wlanboywlanboy Member
    edited February 2013

Yes fail2ban **is ** important if you have public services like ftp/email running. I even using it to secure my password protected web folders.
    I do not have to care about any plugins to secure wordpress. If someone is using the wrong password to my htaccess protected wp-admin subfolder his ip is baned for 24 hours.
    "login failed" in postfix, exim, lighttpd, ssh, etc logs -> fail2ban rules -> iptable rule for ip address.

And as @jarland says ... enable email notification. You never look into the logs on the time you should.

• earlearl Member
    edited February 2013

@wlanboy said: And as @jarland says ... enable email notification. You never look into the logs on the time you should.

Yeah I think this is important, had I got an email I would have found out earlier that my account was comprised..

I just got lucky when I typed in my domain in Google there was a warning that this site may contain malicious content!! boy was I shocked!

just to add the sneaky little bugger used a free hostpolar account to access my server

• I just disable password and root login, change ssh port and use ufw to configure the firewall.

• RobertClarkeRobertClarke Member, Host Rep

If the server doesn't need to be serving web content, I disable apache, otherwise I just do the usual SSH disabled on public IPs, CSF, and other small tweaks. If the server runs essential content, then I'll spend more time checking through security on the server.

• Disable root and password login, keep my versions up to date (php, lighttpd and such), run as little as needed (reduce attack vector) and sometime pentest myself or the apps I run.

Also iptables to only allow ssh from a few places, and ssh runs on another port. But that is just to reduce scanners in the log files.

And, central syslogging to a secure server.

• gracagraca Member
    edited February 2013

Just want to add:

you can use iptables or host.deny/allow for all important port/services. always deny from all, except your own ip address or your ISP subnet.

Surprisingly not all vps provider enable iptables as default.

disallow root, change port number, disabling pass login,
    ListenAddress to-specific-ip-address, rather than to all IP
    AllowUsers - your trusted users
    you can also chroot your trusted user for more control.

install fail2ban, this stuff can watch not only ssh, but other service as well.

disable unneeded ip, few times I found my client got hacked from ipv6, as they follow security tutorial for ipv4, but their vps is actually (as default) coming with huge amount of ipv6.

if you want to go into more detail, run security scanner/pen test, to your own server, and start from there

• @rds100

I have made some experiments in the past - create a VPS and leave it online with some really stupid password, like 1234, default ssh port. Then watch it and see how fast ot gets hacked. Took less than a day the last time i tried this.

on my experiment, I got various result from just few hours (indochina) to 1 month, depend on location & ISP/provider. but in general, fast connection is good for the user but also good for the attacker, well known provider usually targeted & you will get scanner from day 1.

if you interested, you can run honeypot with spare vps/hardware (I used ...pi) to get the latest trend on this kind of stuff.

• @lainme said: ufw to configure the firewall

Never knew that existed.. then gain I never really use ubuntu. thanks for the info.

@RobertClarke said: If the server doesn't need to be serving web content, I disable apache

I generally disable this too on the VPS's that I don't use..

@Raymii said: keep my versions up to date

Yup I normally do this when I log in.

@graca said: Surprisingly not all vps provider enable iptables as default.

I noticed that debian don't have iptables enabled by default where as centos does, I have locked myself out couple of times on centos cause I forgot about the iptables.