Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Would OpenVPN + Tor solve this problem ? (Theoretical Question)
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Would OpenVPN + Tor solve this problem ? (Theoretical Question)

xaitmixaitmi Member
edited May 2016 in General

Just Curious.

Let's say I have a USA VPS that I download torrents from (Game of Thrones, etc)....

And downloading those shows always result in me getting Abuse complaints from CopyRight trolls and stuff, which my host does not like.

If I were to hook up my OpenVPN to TOR like mentioned here http://superuser.com/questions/599129/how-to-create-a-openvpn-server-that-redirects-all-incoming-traffic-to-tor

Would that make the problem stop.

My PC --> OpenVPN --> Tor

So the copyright trolls would only see the TOR IPs and I'd never get another abuse report from a copyright troll to my VPS's ip?

Comments

• pbgbenpbgben Member, Host Rep

Use a vps that is in an area that dont give a rats about torrenting...

• @xaitmi said:
    Let's say I have a USA VPS that I download torrents from (Game of Thrones, etc)....

And downloading those shows always result in me getting Abuse complaints from CopyRight trolls and stuff, which my host does not like.

Get onto a private tracker. And never worry again!

I'm on PrivateHD, it's decent. Not the fastest release after US telecast, but within a few hours too.

• xaitmixaitmi Member

@pbgben
    @theroyalstudent

I have a IPTorrents account with 3.2 ratio using a Hertzner KVM VPS with high resources where I get all my torrents from.

I was just wondering if OpenVPN + Tor scenario would work to solve the abuse report problem.

Would it hide the VPS's IP from Copyright trolls so the host would never get abuse reports?

• NyrNyr Community Contributor, Veteran
    edited May 2016

Do not be a selfish dick and use torrents over Tor, please.

Just get some random VPS, no one cares about your TV torrents, really.

Thanked by 2rm_ doyoumind
  • doghouchdoghouch Member
    edited May 2016

@Nyr said:
    Do not be a selfish dick and use torrents over Tor, please.

Just get some random VPS, no one cares about your TV torrents, really.

Well, time to take my exit node dedi down then. I'll probably convert it into a mirror instead; at least gives me a warm feeling in my heart that my bandwidth is going to good use.

(Unlike supporting ungrateful people using tor.)

(Why do idiots use BitTorrent over tor anyway? I mean, bandwidth isn't free. I'm not saying that everyone does this - I'm just pissed that more and more people are hogging the tor capacity at no cost whatsoever)

• rm_rm_ IPv6 Advocate, Veteran
    edited May 2016

Don't download torrents over Tor please. It is really really discouraged as it overloads the network and makes life (even more) terrible for those who e.g. live in a repressive country and have no other choice but to use Tor to protect their freedom, anonymity, or even their lives.

For torrents just get a 3 EUR/month VPS-SSD from OVH, or a 3 EUR/month Online.net Scaleway instance. They really don't care about torrents and even encourage such usage (e.g. https://www.scaleway.com/docs/how-to-use-the-torrents-instant-apps/).

Thanked by 3Nyr vpsGOD doyoumind