Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Which router to buy to run used dell server, centos, openvz to allow virtual machine ?
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Which router to buy to run used dell server, centos, openvz to allow virtual machine ?

gooddaygoodday Member
edited December 2011 in General

Hi Everyone,

I just bought a used server for 300 and playing around with it. Which router to buy to run used dell server, centos, openvz to allow 3 virtual machine to work?

Thanks!

Comments

• JacobJacob Member
    edited December 2011

You are searching for a work based router or home?
    The difference will be, Many work and heavy load built routers have firewall configs & more options available to you.

You will need multiple IPv4 if you plan on each VM to have dedicated IP Addresses.
    Let us know so we can assist you further.

• Hi Jacob,

Thank you so much for your reply and help. I think may be I will spend a bit more and get a work based router. However, I live in a shared apartment with other student so may be it might be too loud for other. Is it very loud?

If it is, then which home router should I buy to have the option of IPv4 assigning dedicated IP addresses?

Many thanks,
    David

• You will need a business internet, Most likely depending on your country.
    I know in the UK, That finding ISPs that will let you have multiple static IPv4 is rare.

A small ISP may be able to offer this to you, But the bandwidth prices I imagine would be through the roof. I recommend just coloing the server for a affordable overall better experience.

• I found a small ISP that offer very reasonable price for 3 ip address so I'm ok with that:)

Though, which router should I get? I don't want to spend more than 100USD~. May be a home based one or else I would have to get a use one.. Thank again!

• I am not a networking person, Sorry. I leave all that upto the datacenter and the techy guys.

You could try a good ol' netgear perhaps? I use TP-Link for home and it works wonders but the firewall is not so good.

• Just buy MikroTik router, if you have less than 50mbit/s bandwith even routerboard 750GL will perform well.

• Hey what model did you get? I have an HP 1U DL-360 G3 but it was too loud so recently I just got 3 optiplex 755 and fillled them with 8gb of ram each.. it's working pretty good, got vmware proxmox and hypervm... unfortunately the SFF model is not raid capable but still ok for a test box..

If your looking for routers you should look into openwrt or dd-wrt? I think it has IPV6 capablity so if your ISP is IPV6 ready you can have free IP's..

• You could also build your own out of old parts you may have laying around, even a Pentium 3 should be sufficient. pfSense is pretty good, and there are a few other good open source x86 router OS's out there (IIRC @Francisco and @miTgiB are using Vyatta)

• FranciscoFrancisco Top Host, Host Rep, Veteran

Yep.

A core2duo can handle a gbit without issue.

Francisco

• @Francisco
    Yeah the core2 duo is pretty good.. I think the 755 is upgradeable to a core2 quad but it's ridiculous how much people are asking for a core2 quad CPU !! Actually I paid more for the 8gb of DDR2 ram than I did for the whole computer, I could have got 24 Gb of DDR3 ram for basically the same price. Overall the Optiplex is so much quieter than if I built my own system..

Actually I saw someone selling an HP Blade system.. 26 Opteron based Blades for $400.. but I think they need a 240 volt outlet, and I'm too lazy to haul all that hardware.. If you colo these with 2gb of ram I wonder how much each blade would fetch per month?

• @EaseVPS said: You will need a business internet,

Nah he wont, i run a FTP/SCP/Bittorrent server at home and my upload speed is only 10mbps and i use VM

• @Francisco said: A core2duo can handle a gbit without issue.

A SuperMicro Atom 330 with the crappy Realtec nics handles 600mbit on gbit nic without issue.

• InfinityInfinity Member, Host Rep
    edited December 2011

@DanielM said: Nah he wont, i run a FTP/SCP/Bittorrent server at home and my upload speed is only 10mbps and i use VM

Yep, and Business Internet doesn't neccesserily mean that is's gona be fast. If you are looking for something properly professional then get a leased fiber optic line. BT do 'em in the UK.

• @Infinity
    I use virginmedia and you cannot have more then one IP without having a business internet. It all depends on if you want multiple IPs and if your provider allows you to run seedboxes,websites,etc.. on the network.

@EaseVPS said: I use virginmedia and you cannot have more then one IP without having a business internet. It all depends on if you want multiple IPs and if your provider allows you to run seedboxes,websites,etc.. on the network.

I use Virgin Media to, BEthere internet can have multiple IPs.

• SpeedBusSpeedBus Member, Host Rep
    edited December 2011

Install Windows XP, Install VMWare or VirtualBox, Install Hamachi (VPN)

Install the linux OS etc on VMWare or VirtualBox and run Hamachi as the VPN which you connect to.

Once your connected to the VPN of the host machine (winXP) you can easily connect to the Guest OS (Linux OS running on VirtualBox Or VMWare).

That way, You save on IP Costs.

Simple, I think.

• Have virginmedia internet and only have about 2mbits upload speed.

I also have a proliant dl380 but I can't run it 24/7 because its horrendously noisy!!

• jhjh Member

+1 for colocating.

• Hi Everyone,

Hope everyone have a good weekend! Thank you for so many suggestions. I'm thinking of going with ((MIKROTIK RB750GL Mini-Router 5 Gigabit Ethernet ports)) for openvz & centos? What do you think?

• OK I'm an idiot. What difference is what type of OS is on the box when it comes to the router? It's just tcp traffic, right?

• drmike,

I have no ideas, I have to let the expert take your question! GD

@titanicsaled said: Have virginmedia internet and only have about 2mbits upload speed.

@jtodd basically summed it up. However I have a 5Mbit upload speed, depends on your package. I'm on the 50/5Mbit package.

• @earl said: If your looking for routers you should look into openwrt or dd-wrt? I think it has IPV6 capablity so if your ISP is IPV6 ready you can have free IP's..

MikroTik RouterOS supports IPv6 since... well, a long time.

@drmike said: OK I'm an idiot. What difference is what type of OS is on the box when it comes to the router? It's just tcp traffic, right?

Convenience, reliability, price and trust to developer.

@goodday said: Hi Everyone,

Hope everyone have a good weekend! Thank you for so many suggestions. I'm thinking of going with ((MIKROTIK RB750GL Mini-Router 5 Gigabit Ethernet ports)) for openvz & centos? What do you think?

I'm running 750 (vs 750GL it has no gigabit ethernet and half the ram) since around a year without single problem. Kinda hard to make IPv6 tunneling work but I'll probably can help you with this. Manufacturer has a good support forums too.

By the way some time ago these routers came with around a month of free direct support from them, I have no idea if this changed or if this was limited to my country/hardware provider.