Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Trying to figure out how to set up DNS
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Trying to figure out how to set up DNS

DStroutDStrout Member
edited February 2013 in Help

I've been wanting to handle my own DNS for a while, so I bit the bullet and got a StormVZ 64MB VPS for the purpose. Next, I went through my registrar (Namecheap) and set some "Nameserver Registration"s (glue records, as I understand) for ns1.dstrout.net as the IP of the new server and ns2.dstrout.net as the IP of another server I have. On the new server, I set up BIND according to various instructions, and came up with these configuration files.

However, with all that in place, DNS resolution doesn't work. I used this tool to trace DNS resolution, and it does hit the DNS server I set up, but when it does, it says

Received response:
-> Header: Server Failure

All logs and config files can be found at the link above. Any help would be appreciated.

Comments

• Yeah, I saw that, but discarded it for that exact reason.

• @Jack what is the minimum specs for master and slave server? Had been trying PowerDNS cluster but never got it worked, perhaps I'll use some spare VPS with your guide. Thanks.

• DomainBopDomainBop Member
    edited February 2013

"I'd say 512MB

512MB for the master running poweradmin but you can do 256MB for a powerdns slave (with poweradmin on the master only) if you don't install php or nginx.

Edis 256MB VPS (KVM) running a powerdns slave (and mysql, webmin, csf firewall), 165 zones/1847 records

free -m

total used free shared buffers cached
    Mem: 248 223 25 0 0 169
    -/+ buffers/cache: 54 194
    Swap: 235 0 235

IntoVPS (openvz) running powerdns master, poweradmin (and nginx, php, webmin, mysql, csf firewall):

free -m

total used free shared buffers cached
    Mem: 1024 269 754 0 0 0
    -/+ buffers/cache: 269 754
    Swap: 0 0 0

• If you want a low memory footprint authoritative DNS server run maradns or DJB's tinydns (or possibly nsd)

• mikhomikho Member, Host Rep
    edited February 2013

I did the master installation on a BuyVm 128mb (with burst)
    it did use 164mb after installation (without reboot) but as said in the guide, there is no optimisation at all.

I bet you can minimise memory usage by choosing some other settings and removing unneeded services.
    The guide uses Innodb but replication does work with myisam (but not recommended, because of the buffered IO).

maybe you could use 64mb as slave servers (or master if the webinterface is on another server). It would be a challenge :)

• I only see listen-on-v6 and no listen-on. Is named listening only on ipv6? No allow-query option? Run named-checkzone mydomain.tld /etc/named/zones/zones/mydomain.tld.zone to check the zone file.

• @t3k9 That helped out! When I ran named-checkzone, I got the error "unexpected end of input". It took me a while to figure out what that mean, until I stumbled across this comment on some ticket that told me the zone config file needed two names after the SOA declaration. That seems to have fixed it, thanks!

• As a FYI, the guide listed above is out of date. Use the offical packages from powerdns.org and you will have much better time, that and DNSSEC is smoother. Just don't forget to update your database accordingly if you are migrating!