Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Container Server Benchmarking
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Container Server Benchmarking

SPSP Member
edited February 2013 in General

Is there an time-efficient method of benchmarking the ability of a server to host OVZ containers without installing a bunch of them and setting up UnixBench or something similar? Thought about possibly getting a single container set up to run benchmark on boot, then creating a template from that and mass-deploying. Trying to see if the physical servers I have will support the load I want to throw at them.

Comments

• Awmusic12635Awmusic12635 Member, Host Rep

Something like serverbear?

• Awmusic12635Awmusic12635 Member, Host Rep

Or do you mean stress testing?

• SPSP Member

Load testing is how I envision it. We don't want to take our servers to market without testing everything and making sure we can support the load the containers COULD produce.

• Why don't you do some BETA offering?

• @Fliphost said: Something like serverbear?

Don't know if it's time efficient. Can take hours to run :)

• yomeroyomero Member
    edited February 2013

And people still uses that unixbench crap u_u

My personal recommendation ALWAYS has been Geekbench.

• serverbearserverbear Member
    edited February 2013

@concerto49 said: Don't know if it's time efficient. Can take hours to run :)

We did have someone run 50 concurrent benchmarks once to see how many they could handle before it crapped out. Didn't do wonders for my email inbox mind you :P

P.S. We'll probably add Geekbench this month, as an additional config option.

• SPSP Member

Is it even worth it to see how much it can handle before dying? We are just worried about not overselling, and want to make sure that we can provide a high level of service while still maintaining profitability.

• shovenoseshovenose Member, Host Rep
    edited February 2013

@Sperryman wow, a host that actually cares about making sure their VPS don't suck ;) I'd certainly be interesting in testing a VPS for you if you want...

• DamianDamian Member
    edited February 2013

@Sperryman said: Is it even worth it to see how much it can handle before dying?

Not at all. Most of the benchmarking packages seem to concentrate on processor horsepower; we've found, from actual experience, that modern multi-core processors will not the bottleneck.

Here's CPU usage graphs from a server with a lot of clients on it:

As you can see, most of the time, the CPU usage is under ~40-50%.

• SPSP Member

I appreciate the feedback. Ran UnixBench on a single OVZ container that we are planning on selling, and the score overall was fairly low. Didn't look like it was hitting the CPU or RAM too bad during the test, so I think that as long as I keep the subscribed memory under the physical memory we should be OK.