Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Rage4 DNS Counts Inflated Queries - Page 3
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Rage4 DNS Counts Inflated Queries

Comments

• BunnySpeedBunnySpeed Member, Host Rep

I think if you cancel the free accounts and focus on providing more affordable flat plans it will actually be a good thing.

Thanked by 1Shade
  • SplitIceSplitIce Member, Host Rep

I think fixed-fee plans are probably for the best. And moving to their own DNS server software, awesome :)

Hopefully this give Piotr some time to improve the Geo Routing too.

• mik997mik997 Member
    edited May 2016

@Zappie said:

mik997 said: which provider are you using for geo DNS now out of curiosity?

I would highly recommend a self hosted solution with gDNSd. It can pretty much do the same (and more actually) in terms of failover, geodns and loadbalancing as what rage4 can do.

Downside is you will have to maintain it yourself on your servers (which I assume wont be on an anycast network)

Hey Zappie, thanks for the tip :) been thinking about doing this for a while now .. (I'm using CF for my DNS atm)

have u hands on experience with gDNSd? does it support DNSSEC? how do you mitigate against DNS amplification attacks?

• ZappieZappie Member, Host Rep, LIR

mik997 said: have u hands on experience with gDNSd? does it support DNSSEC?

Yep used it in a few projects, a massive fan.
    Re DNSSEC, no they still not implemented but I guess on the cards "for future" https://github.com/gdnsd/gdnsd/issues/65

mik997 said: how do you mitigate against DNS amplification attacks?

Its just an authoritative name server, not a recursive resolver. Nothing specific in the software to "prevent" attacks. So I guess you could take the exact same approach you would if you used BIND or powerDNS or what ever authoritative name-server you pick

• @gbshouse said:
    @tr1cky - on this stage cannot confirm nor deny

Well I was moving a few things to Rage4, but this makes me want to hold off. When will you know? Maybe I should just get DME and be done with it all.

• @file said:
    Is anyone actively using Zilore who can comment on them and their service?

It's really good in my opinion, talked about it initially at The Cest Pit, have been using it ever since.

Email support is pretty quick too. Great for a free service, would be happy to pay since it comes with features that can compare with Rage4 :)

• @theroyalstudent said:

@file said:

It's really good in my opinion, talked about it initially at The Cest Pit, have been using it ever since.

Email support is pretty quick too. Great for a free service, would be happy to pay since it comes with features that can compare with Rage4 :)

Site doesn't seem to show pricing, just 14day free trial available.

• @dragon2611 said:

@theroyalstudent said:

@file said:

Mmmm. Give it a try then, when 14-day trial is up they would probably offer their plans. I got my account while it said 'free during beta'

• edited June 2016

Initial mention of Zilore, a Rage4 alternative:

https://www.lowendtalk.com/discussion/comment/1675019/#Comment_1675019

• @dragon2611 said:

@theroyalstudent said:

@file said:

Hello,

my name is Mikhail Nasonov, I am Zilore CEO.
    Sorry for any inconveniences with registration in our website.
    We have fixed this error and now you are able to create free account.
    We are planing to announce our commercial plans during few weeks.
    All delegated domains will be free off charge as we promised.
    If you have any questions or suggestions about our service, I will be happy to answer.

Thanks.

Thanked by 2yomero geekalot
  • rokokrokok Member

@mnasonov I reg Zilore some few hours ago and asked for credit card info :/ is there a free plan now without entering cc?

• @rokok said:
    @mnasonov I reg Zilore some few hours ago and asked for credit card info :/ is there a free plan now without entering cc?

Yes, it was bug with a/b testing on our side. We have fixed it and now you are able to create free account without cc entering.

• MikePTMikePT Moderator, Patron Provider, Veteran

@Butters said:
    Rule #1

Never use any service where william is involved like Rage4, Airvpn or ...

William is a great guy and knows what he does. I've worked with him for a few months and he was an excellent guy to work with.

• jcalebjcaleb Member

BunnySpeed said: To stop things from getting lost under the "review thread" that noone will read, I think opening a new proper thread with a single topic might be more appropriate.

I tried them a long time ago and also finds the counter to be too fast. but may not be relevant today since many could have changed already.

• filefile Member

Ouchy.

• rokokrokok Member

Classy, most DNS providers cum with free, end wet subscription based only.

• @mnasonov Thanks for the great service, how much will plans be? It's really good and I'll be more than happy to pay for it.

Just need an API, 2FA (GoogleAuthenticator or Duo) before I use it for really production projects :)

• rds100rds100 Member

I think it was a DDoS attack to one of their IPs, not some massive blackout of everything.

• ShadeShade Member
    edited June 2016

@rds100 said:

I think it was a DDoS attack to one of their IPs, not some massive blackout of everything.

Could be, but there was zero information from Rage4, just a massive downtime and nobody knows what happened... not the best way for a "enterprise" service.

• gbshousegbshouse Member, Host Rep

@Shade - we have notified all interested users, waiting for details regarding attack and will publish proper outage report

• @theroyalstudent said:
    @mnasonov Thanks for the great service, how much will plans be? It's really good and I'll be more than happy to pay for it.

Just need an API, 2FA (GoogleAuthenticator or Duo) before I use it for really production projects :)

@theroyalstudent thank you for your feedback. You can learn more about our plans in this document. We are planing to release API and 2FA (SMS) during 2-3 weeks. If you have any questions about our service/plans, I will be glad to answer.

Thanked by 1theroyalstudent
  • @mnasonov said:

@theroyalstudent said:
    @mnasonov Thanks for the great service, how much will plans be? It's really good and I'll be more than happy to pay for it.

@theroyalstudent thank you for your feedback. You can learn more about our plans in this document. We are planing to release API and 2FA (SMS) during 2-3 weeks. If you have any questions about our service/plans, I will be glad to answer.

Pricing is definitely non-LowEnd, especially for per domain for the Early Adopter section. Possible to match Rage4, somehow?

I've planned to move in a few domains, but haven't done so due to the "DDoS protection" and CDN that CF is bringing me - time to move in all my production stuff, then.

Thought that Duo Security integration would be great as even for where I work (can't disclose), it's actively used, but 2FA via SMS would definitely fit the needs of the security-conscious.

Thanks for the response and price plan, though!

Thanked by 1yomero
  • I don't think the pricing is bad, and it is way cheaper than Rage4's paid plans.

If someone truly needed/wanted unlimited records and queries then its a pretty good plan I feel, otherwise DME would be better value for casual users.

I don't like that there's no API or SLA for the lowest tier. You're still paying for the service, even the free Early Adopter tier has API.

I also feel that the number of domains should go up through the higher plans. It doesn't need to be many.

One final thing that popped into my head. Since the accounts are based around the features and not record or query limitations, it would be interesting if you could have different domains in different tiers somehow. Like if I 5 business domains on the professional plan, but wanted to add a couple of personal domains that don't need all the additional features.

edited June 2016

HackedServer said: it is way cheaper than Rage4's paid plans.

Not really, $2 - 5 per domain is more than any reasonably large Rage4 Partner Package. And the low TTLs are actually quite high for any failover services.

• @SplitIce said:

HackedServer said: it is way cheaper than Rage4's paid plans.

Not really, $2 - 5 per domain is more than any reasonably large Rage4 Partner Package. And the low TTLs are actually quite high for any failover services.

I'm going by the Rage4 listed plans, https://rage4.com/#pricing, not special pricing that business partners get. What a regular user would get if they went to each site and purchased a plan.

@HackedServer Really?

gbshouse said: ~ 12€/y

Theres not even a plan in that table that compares, $50, $250 and $2,500 per year are all more expensive than 12€/y (~$14)

That pricing table is based around huge zones, even 100 million queries is a metric crap ton.

• @SplitIce said:
    @HackedServer Really?

gbshouse said: ~ 12€/y

Theres not even a plan in that table that compares, $50, $250 and $2,500 per year are all more expensive than 12€/y (~$14)

That pricing table is based around huge zones, even 100 million queries is a metric crap ton.

Unless you can order from his comment I don't count it, it isn't listed as a plan yet. You also have no idea what it includes.

So what Rage4 is offering currently is far more expensive than what Zilore posted for their pricing.

Until Rage4 posts more information about the cheap yearly plan there's no point in discussing it. It could be 1 domain, 3 records, and 10k querys/m.

• @mnasonov said:

@theroyalstudent said:

@mnasonov 2FA should be available for everyone In my opinion, even if it ends up being some TOTP based solution like the google auth token, just because it's someones personal domain doesn't mean it doesn't deserve security.

• gbshousegbshouse Member, Host Rep

@HackedServer - we hope to publish new pricing within next 3-4 weeks. For sure all the packets will have unlimited number of requests. Additionally we will add build-in monitoring and few more nice features :)