Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Any spam filters for networks?
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Any spam filters for networks?

randvegetarandvegeta Member, Host Rep

Anyone know of any good software or service that can filter spam for an entire network?

I don't mean filtering just for 1 or or a handful of IPs. I mean for an entire network with thousands or possibly 10s of thousands of IPs.

I am envisioning something to the effect of a routing policy in a router where all mail traffic may be diverted to some server that will filter out all the spam. Ideally in both directions, but mainly for OUTBOUND mail to prevent SPAM.

Does something like that exist? If not, what other solutions/options are there?

Comments

• jarjar Patron Provider, Top Host, Veteran

Talk to MailChannels. They do offer a datacenter solution, and they're very effective. Pretty sure they're cheaper than Vade Retro, which is what OVH uses.

• randvegetarandvegeta Member, Host Rep

@Jarland,

Thanks for the tip. Any idea on what their pricing is?

Has anyone heard of https://www.spamexperts.com/ ? Are they any good?

randvegeta said: Any idea on what their pricing is?

They do custom quotes for in-house. I don't have an estimate I can give out but it's worth the conversation.

randvegeta said: Has anyone heard of https://www.spamexperts.com/ ? Are they any good?

I dislike saying this because I had a lot of conversations with one of their guys and he's a crazy cool guy that hangs around LET, but I found their incoming filter to be too mediocre for the cost.

• randvegetarandvegeta Member, Host Rep

jarland said: but I found their incoming filter to be too mediocre for the cost.

I'm more interesting in the outgoing filter. Is that any good?

edited May 2016

randvegeta said: Is that any good?

Could be. I never did try that. I'm of the opinion that filtering outgoing spam is a good bit easier than filtering incoming spam, with the exception of where email forwarders are concerned as the two then become identical.

• heachhogheachhog Member
    edited May 2016

The issue with outgoing filtering on a data center level is filtering TLS traffic. From a technical perspective, "transparent" (when you pass the IP address of a sending mailserver) isn't possible without decrypting that traffic. Thus, it would work as MITM attack, which is a problem for customers in financial/health care /etc industries with strict regulations. Plus Google and alike will start cracking down on the companies , who use this sort of mail filtering.

You could block port 25 on the routers and force them a specific smarthost for outbound (might not fly well with some customers) or register for feedback loops and use something like abuse.io to parse the data to keep track of those abusive customers and suspend those when necessary.

edited May 2016

Sending really only happens on port 25 though. I mean connecting to the SMTP happens over TLS often, but it gets sent out unencrypted to the next server in what I would argue is too close to 100% to even say 99% of the time.

So outgoing filtering should be quite effective.

• If the receiving mail server announces TLS (STARTTLS), the emails will be delivered encrypted. Adoption/enforcement of TLS is steadily growing, it is already a requirement for some of the governmental institutions in the Netherlands.