Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

E3-1226v3@ 3.30GHz, 16 GB ram, 32,87/mo, dedi by register.it: has anyone tried it?
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

E3-1226v3@ 3.30GHz, 16 GB ram, 32,87/mo, dedi by register.it: has anyone tried it?

GeekoineGeekoine Member
edited May 2016 in Providers

I found this offer:
http://www.register.it/server/configurator.html?product=DS2DS431

I never tried a register.it dedi (I used it for some domain registrations, and nothing more)

I was wondering if someone tried their dedis

Comments

• NyrNyr Community Contributor, Veteran

Good deal indeed, but no idea what's the network/location for those servers.

• @Nyr said:
    Good deal indeed, but no idea what's the network/location for those servers.

Italian provider, with its own datacenter in Reading (UK). I'm really curious about the network, too.

• NyrNyr Community Contributor, Veteran

Geekoine said: Italian provider, with its own datacenter in Reading (UK). I'm really curious about the network, too.

They own space in other places like Spain too, but it could made sense that those servers were located in the UK.

Sorry, no idea about the network, but at this price is certainly tempting.

Thanked by 1Geekoine
  • lootloot Member

Ok, so I bit the bullet and got it. Just getting it set up now. The caveat is they don't provide hardware help either - so I'd be wary - and also it took three of them to tell me that I can put anything in the VAT # box since I don't live in the EU. Otherwise though, smooth, I got some upgrades and will likely put down a hypervisor and try out different containerization concepts, but before then I'll benchmark it alongside the SYS-E3-2 and a Hetzner box I got at a similar price. Stay tuned, I guess.

All in all, including the exchange rate, it came out to be around $41, but the SYS is $48, the Hetzner cost me $45.

Thanked by 2aboanas93 Geekoine
  • @loot said:

let me know:-)

• lootloot Member

Bad start for the Italians, apparently they leave work on time for reals, leaving my Ubuntu install hanging somehow... come on ho wdoes one leave that hang and not leave me with KVM access or any access. There's no support but in exchange I was supposed to be able to help myself.

• wroxwrox Member

@loot Did you receive an IP address for your server yet? If yes, could you share it with the last part censored, for me to ping/determine where it is?

Otherwise, tossing the ASN would be another way to check out their network latency/blend.

• StrikerrStrikerr Member
    edited May 2016

Info from google

Le soluzioni Server Dedicato di Register.it partono da 49,00 Euro + IVA mensili Tutti i server vengono ospitati nel data center di Pulsant a Londra, in due location fisiche separate, con monitoring H24. Tutti i server dedicati Register.it vengono attivati su connessione a 100 Mbit/s per il massimo delle performance anche sotto un numero elevato di richieste e con un minimo di 5 TB di traffico al mese incluso.

Pulsant DC

• lootloot Member

@wrox said:
    @loot Did you receive an IP address for your server yet? If yes, could you share it with the last part censored, for me to ping/determine where it is?

Otherwise, tossing the ASN would be another way to check out their network latency/blend.

I pinged it already but 94.76.201.xx and it's in as29550 (UK). 92ms from NYC where I am now, completely times out from every point in China atm.

Am I allowed to nmap a server I already paid for from another server I already paid for? The IP is up, nothing in the conditions - English version, and doesn't mention which version controls, just jurisdiction - states that I can't scan it, just that I can't scan with it. And if you want someone to take a completely unmanaged server you'd expect them to have the basic tools to take a gander at what's up, right?

Well it's happening anyway but I'm doing an -sS -Pn since a -A seems like a lost cause, but they're supposed to have plesk installed, not at the usual port. I have the login so we'll see if they did that or not, I suppose.

At least it's not a holiday for them tomorrow... right?

Thanked by 1wrox
  • Tomorrow they will be there to answer, I suppose

• test ip????

• lootloot Member

my guess is anyone in the 94.76.201.0/18 range

• lootloot Member
    edited May 2016

Good news! Some nice fellow named Andrea sent me not 1 but 3 emails (1 for each of the 2 additional IPs and one for everything finished), and I even got a follow up and yep, I'm in, and um, you can use your own domain of course. They just seem to take the idea of off time a little more seriously than I do.

CPU model: Intel(R) Xeon(R) CPU E3-1226 v3 @ 3.30GHz Number of cores: 4 CPU frequency: 800.000 MHz Total amount of ram: 15843 MB Total amount of swap: 3804 MB System uptime: 0 days, 05:04:27 System version: Ubuntu 14.04.4 LTS \n \l System kernel: Linux server4761.poundhost.com 3.13.0-86-generic #131-Ubuntu SMP Thu May 12 23:33:13 UTC 2016 x86_64 x86_64 x86_64 GNU/Linux I/O speed: 155 MB/s Testing Network IO to RamNode New York City (USA): 7.47MB/s Testing Network IO to RamNode Atlanta (USA): 6.02MB/s Testing Network IO to RamNode Seatle (USA): 5.93MB/s Testing Network IO to RamNode Los Angeles (USA): 4.99MB/s Testing Network IO to RamNode Netherlands (NL): 11.0MB/s Testing Network IO to Linode Tokyo (JP): 2.50MB/s Testing Network IO to Softlayer Singapore (SG): 260KB/s Testing Network IO to Internode Australia (AU):'

Well I think it's on 100mbits. Timing out to Australia is a bit annoying.

Thanked by 1Geekoine
  • 100 mbit/s:-)