Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Need storage VPS..again
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Need storage VPS..again

UnixfyUnixfy Member
edited May 2016 in Requests

I need a new storage VPS, that doesn't have to be payable with bitcoin (I have some prepaid Visa cards to use). Specs:
Specs below:

512MB+ RAM

250GB+ Disk

1TB+ Bandwidth

Under $4/month

A couple IPv6's would be nice

Virtualization: Would PREFER Xen or KVM, but OpenVZ will do

Don't care about anything else

Comments

• SSDBlazeSSDBlaze Member, Host Rep

Virtualization preference?

• UnixfyUnixfy Member

SSDBlaze said: Virtualization preference?

karatekidmonkey said: Don't care about anything else

I don't care. OpenVZ will do.

• PandyPandy Member

time4vps?

• SSDBlazeSSDBlaze Member, Host Rep
    edited May 2016

ServerHub has a $5 per month plan with 512MB RAM and 500GB Disk http://serverhub.com/vps/ssd-cached

Edit: Out of your budget by $1 but its a good deal

Thanked by 1Unixfy
  • cociucociu Member

i can provide this in Romania, pm if you are interesed

Thanked by 1Unixfy
  • UnixfyUnixfy Member

@Pandy said:
    time4vps?

I'm considering them, but I'd like more options.

• bersybersy Member
    edited May 2016

karatekidmonkey said: Well, now they're not willing to sell it to me anymore

Can you say why? What is VPS used for?

• UnixfyUnixfy Member

bersy said: Can you say why?

Not sure why, perhaps costs? Maybe OVH raised their dedi prices?
    Or maybe I waited too long (they first gave me the offer last year).

• bersybersy Member

karatekidmonkey said: Not sure why, perhaps costs? Maybe OVH raised their dedi prices? Or maybe I waited too long (they first gave me the offer last year).

Ah, sorry, there is a misunderstanding. I thought you had been suspended or something like that.

• AshleyUkAshleyUk Member
    edited May 2016

@bersy said:

karatekidmonkey said: Not sure why, perhaps costs? Maybe OVH raised their dedi prices? Or maybe I waited too long (they first gave me the offer last year).

Ah, sorry, there is a misunderstanding. I thought you had been suspended or something like that.

>

Just want to clear a few things up:

Nothing wrong was done, user asked for a custom plan back last year, but never paid (order was cancelled after period of time) due to only having bitcoin's (as posted in OP), asked for another custom package of the above specs recently, but lower than the budget posted here.

Something we was unable to offer, @karatekidmonkey has never actually been a customer of us so would not be able to vouch for the VM's use, however at the same time has not been denied a service apart from budget does not match our offerings.

Thanked by 1bersy
  • UnixfyUnixfy Member
    edited May 2016

@AshleyUK's explanation is quite correct. My apologies if it looked like something meant to hurt your reputation, I did not intend for it to seem that way.

• @karatekidmonkey said:
    @AshleyUK's explanation is quite correct. My apologies if it looked like something meant to hurt your reputation, I did not intend for it to seem that way.

BTW, I actually do have a free VPS (from freevps.us) with ZXPlay :P

No problem, at same time didn't want it to look bad against you, and your still not a direct customer, that is fully managed by freevps.

Anyway good luck with your search.

Thanked by 1Unixfy
  • CableChiefCableChief Member
    edited May 2016

Will your bandwidth be mainly incoming or outgoing? Going to have a new storage node online (20x2TB Hardware RAID 6) coming online within the next couple of days if you're okay with waiting. Looking at offering unmetered incoming bandwidth (fair share).

This is in Utah on KVM.

Thanked by 1Unixfy
  • UnixfyUnixfy Member

@CableChief said:
    Will your bandwidth be mainly incoming or outgoing? Going to have a new storage node online (20x2TB Hardware RAID 6) coming online within the next couple of days if you're okay with waiting. Looking at offering unmetered incoming bandwidth (fair share).

This is in Utah on KVM.

Mainly incoming, expecting quite a few downloads (with the ownCloud sync client).
    I'm okay with waiting a few days.

• @karatekidmonkey said:

@CableChief said:

This is in Utah on KVM.

Mainly incoming, expecting quite a few downloads (with the ownCloud sync client).
    I'm okay with waiting a few days.

Great stuff, I'll PM you once everything is online

Thanked by 1Unixfy
  • UnixfyUnixfy Member

CableChief said: @karatekidmonkey said:

@CableChief said: Will your bandwidth be mainly incoming or outgoing? Going to have a new storage node online (20x2TB Hardware RAID 6) coming online within the next couple of days if you're okay with waiting. Looking at offering unmetered incoming bandwidth (fair share).

This is in Utah on KVM.

Mainly incoming, expecting quite a few downloads (with the ownCloud sync client). I'm okay with waiting a few days.

Great stuff, I'll PM you once everything is online

Thank you :D

• sandrosandro Member

why not use the xzhost plans?

• UnixfyUnixfy Member

sandro said: why not use the xzhost plans?

Please read @AshleyUk's posts.

• bersybersy Member
    edited May 2016

DrServer has 200GB XenHVM storage VPS in your budget if you pay yearly.

LiteServer's 300GB/3TB OVZ VPS (use VPS15OFF) is a bit pricey, @LiteServer might want to make you a custom 250GB/1TB offer though. Ditto @harisp might want to combine some of their OVZ/KVM storage plans together to fit your needs well.

• SpartanHostSpartanHost Member, Host Rep

We have the exact specs you requested, 1TB bandwidth, IPv6, KVM for $3.50/m in Dallas: https://billing.spartanhost.net/cart.php?gid=15 using 'storage30' coupon.

• I've been with EthernetServers for a few months now.

Los Angeles (QuadraNet): https://vrtz.net/vps/openvz/US/los-angeles/214.html

Buffalo (ColoCrossing): https://vrtz.net/vps/openvz/US/buffalo/213.html

$20/year for:
    400GB storage, 6TB transfer, 1.5GB RAM + vSwap, /proc/cpuinfo: 4x "Intel(R) Xeon(R) CPU E5-2620 v2 @ 2.10GHz"

It's not the fastest node I've used, but it gets the job done. Hosting Owncloud/WebDAV with 3-4 users and r+ruTorrent (private trackers/legal torrents only), occasional openvpn.
    In the past, I've run a SubSonic server managing 20+ RSS podcast feeds and a large database, minimal/no transcoding. I tried a VNCServer, but the lag was unbearable compared to even QuadraNet's heinous Crissic's nodes.

Not sure what you're looking for, but my point is the provider has high tolerance for intensive activity (I don't purposely hog resources, FYI, almost always 99% idling) and doesn't block certain programs (like other providers auto-ban nodes for rTorrent.) I've had past issues with both with HostUS and Crissic.

Downsides:
    Sometimes transfer rates drop pretty low, ranging from 200KiB to 300KiB (even apt, wget and sftp). My guess is something with low disk IO. Rebooting the node restores the 1Gbps speeds, though sometimes booting (Debian 8 minimal) can take 15s +, intermittently. Issues are uncommon though, if not rare. Also, no IPV6.

Even if oversold (not saying they are, but yeah...), EthernetServers does pretty well in my experience. If you're looking for a cheap storage box and are lax about these concerns (like I was/am), then they're worth considering.

Overall, uptime is great, the provider's AUP restrictions are generous and the resources are amazing for $20/year, even if sluggish at times. Node performance is within realistic expectations, IMO.

Sorry for the long-winded response. I hope it was helpful!

Thanked by 2sandro Unixfy
  • UnixfyUnixfy Member

@bersy said:

LiteServer's 300GB/3TB OVZ VPS (use VPS15OFF) is a bit pricey, @LiteServer might want to make you a custom 250GB/1TB offer though. Ditto @harisp might want to combine some of their OVZ/KVM storage plans together to fit your needs well.

Might get drServer's, added that to my list.

@SpartanHost said:
    We have the exact specs you requested, 1TB bandwidth, IPv6, KVM for $3.50/m in Dallas: https://billing.spartanhost.net/cart.php?gid=15 using 'storage30' coupon.

Added that to my list too.

Thank you @AveryCates, I've always been a fan of Ethernet Servers too (they gave me a couple custom plans last year). Nice post there, nice to hear about the downsides of the host too :D

• LiteServerLiteServer Member, Patron Provider

@bersy said:

Sure, @karatekidmonkey may contact us for a custom VPS - we'll work something out :-)