Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

What's an acceptable CPU usage %?
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

What's an acceptable CPU usage %?

NexusNexus Member
edited February 2013 in General

Hey everyone! Was just curious, is a 2% cpu usage 24/7 to high for a LEB vps?

The ram usage will be around 150mb once I move over to my deb box. [It's on ubuntu atm]

I am just curious as how much of a % does it need to get before it starts effecting other nodes? All depends on how many clients are on the node? Server specs?

I am thinking anything around 10-20%+ is pretty much screaming for a dedi server? I just don't want to abuse the node intentionally...

So, is 2% cpu usage high or low for the average LEB host?

Comments

• jarjar Patron Provider, Top Host, Veteran
    edited February 2013

2% wouldn't even catch my eye. 10% wouldn't bother me either, likely same with 20%. So long as every user wasn't sustaining the same 24/7. That's just one core percentage there so not a big deal.

• One of my gameservers uses like... 25-30% all the morning :S
    And I haven't been kicked of a host, so you will be fine :P

• rskrsk Member, Patron Provider

2% should be fine, on the other hand we have seen cases where users hog 99% of a CPU for long hours.

That is when it gets to be a problem.

• earlearl Member
    edited February 2013

you know what stress me out is when installing directadmin or cPanel you see the CPU usage just sky rocket..

I keep thing they will suspend me!!

@earl said: you know what stress me out is when installing directadmin or cPanel you see the CPU usage just sky rocket..

But that is not for a long time. Some people keep at it for days.

• @rsk said: But that is not for a long time. Some people keep at it for days.

Days!! what would use such high CPU?

@earl said: Days!! what would use such high CPU?

Gameservers.

• @rsk said: Gameservers

Hmm no wonder everyone that buys a dedi seems to be using it for a game server..

• perennateperennate Member, Host Rep
    edited February 2013

Depends on the gameserver. My load averages are less than 0.05 with 100 players connected.

Edit: also usually they'll say something about it in the AUP, for example RamNode specifies >90% as the threshold for too high CPU load.

• ZeroCoolZeroCool Member
    edited February 2013

2%cpu that very small .. wtf 100% or 200% stll fine if the time cpu load only 3 or 5 second still not effect 2% very very safe

just see the CPU Load average if still under 1 cpu load

• No issues with 2%. It's fine.

• I use 100% all day on AWS. They don't seem to mind.

• @murky said: I use 100% all day on AWS. They don't seem to mind.

That's because they cap your CPU to a slow speed unless you pay lots.

• AnthonySmithAnthonySmith Member, Patron Provider
    edited February 2013

above 60% on avg over 24 hours is when I pay attention.

Obviously if someone is doing 400% for a few hours too it may be an issue but Xen tends to handle things better in general with CPU.

• When ever I have to compile ruby I do have to use a lot if CPU for a few minutes. Never got any complaints.

• @AnthonySmith said: Obviously if someone is doing 400% for a few hours too it may be an issue but Xen tends to handle things better in general with CPU.

Better than what? OpenVZ and KVM? Because that's false, Xen does CPU scheduling out of the box, but that doesn't mean OpenVZ and KVM can't do it the same way, most people just have no idea how to configure it like that.

• Mine on Ramnode is running on %15. Haven't had any complaints so far.

• my provider still okey cpu sometime more 200% but my load average only 1 cpu that not abuse the global cpu usage becouse my provider still tolerance until 3 cpu usage but time usage no more than 15 minutes cpu load must be normal again if continue all the time that will be problem

• Nick_ANick_A Member, Top Host, Host Rep

@perennate said: Edit: also usually they'll say something about it in the AUP, for example RamNode specifies >90% as the threshold for too high CPU load.

Yeah, I try to be as specific as possible. Extended usage at 90%+ can really bog a node down, particularly when running a bunch of VPSs on a single quad proc. Sometimes, however, the I/O is an issue (rarely, since SSDs and all), and the CPU % doesn't always indicate that. That's why the AUP mentions "high load" as well.

Interestingly enough, most of the people who receive a CPU Load ticket from me are using that much CPU by mistake and know how to rectify the situation quickly.

@taronyu said: Mine on Ramnode is running on %15. Haven't had any complaints so far.

And you won't receive any at that percent :)

• @perennate said: Depends on the gameserver. My load averages are less than 0.05 with 100 players connected.

Interesting! What game is this?

• perennateperennate Member, Host Rep

@wrox said: Interesting! What game is this?

Warcraft III. https://code.google.com/p/ghostplusplus/

• AnthonySmithAnthonySmith Member, Patron Provider

@BronzeByte sorry buddy but you are dead wrong, Xen resource separation and handling is vastly superior to OpenVZ and KVM.

3 years using all 3 + vmware in a commercial way and I can assure you that what I am saying is true and that is from a fairly good data set too.

• @AnthonySmith said: Xen resource separation and handling is vastly superior to OpenVZ and KVM.

Dunno about OpenVZ, but in KVM is crap indeed :P

And I guess that's why the big cloud providers use Xen

• erhwegesrgsrerhwegesrgsr Member
    edited February 2013

@AnthonySmith said: Xen resource separation and handling is vastly superior to OpenVZ and KVM.

Actually it's handled by the OS mainly, KVM can use the Linux fair scheduler and Xen has its own. Regarding "superior", the concept is simple: share X amount of CPU cycles over Y amount of virtual servers.