Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Namesilo vs Namecheap - Page 2
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Namesilo vs Namecheap

2»

Comments

• apl342apl342 Member

NameSilo does offer chat - it is clearly listed on their web site as being available Mon-Fri. Also, they have a phone number which they pick up on the first ring, unlike Namecheap which has no phone number. I have also received email responses from NameSilo support typically within minutes (sometimes a little longer if late night or weekend).

• TionTion Member

Using Namesilo for years now after Internet.bs turned out to be rather shady and Paypal was no longer an option.

Their support, both livechat and email, is very quick and helpful. The backend, hell the whole website, is rather 90/00's with very small icons and texts but once you got the hang of it you appreciate that its damn fast. The prices for most domains, while not being the cheapest on the market, are still quite competitive.

I can only recommend them.

• drdrakedrdrake Member

@Tion said:
    Using Namesilo for years now after Internet.bs turned out to be rather shady and Paypal was no longer an option.

Their support, both livechat and email, is very quick and helpful. The backend, hell the whole website, is rather 90/00's with very small icons and texts but once you got the hang of it you appreciate that its damn fast. The prices for most domains, while not being the cheapest on the market, are still quite competitive.

I can only recommend them.

Which are the cheapest? I thought namesilo was. I am looking to resell domains so i need the cheapest domain registrar.

• NyrNyr Community Contributor, Veteran

Arjon said: Which are the cheapest? I thought namesilo was. I am looking to resell domains so i need the cheapest domain registrar.

It will depend on your volume. You should also consider reliability and not only pricing!

Even if you don't have volume, NameBright is cheaper (the cheapest I know).

• DylanDylan Member

@Nyr said:

They charge $2.95/year for WHOIS privacy, though.

@Dylan said:

I know, but many of us don't use whois privacy.

Thanked by 1TheKiller
  • @Nyr said:

@Dylan said:

I know, but many of us don't use whois privacy.

But it sure is nice knowing you have that option for free!

globalRegisters said: But it sure is nice knowing you have that option for free!

Or looking from the other side: I'm paying for the customers who use that option which I don't care about.

Nothing is free.

• @Nyr said:

globalRegisters said: But it sure is nice knowing you have that option for free!

Or looking from the other side: I'm paying for the customers who use that option which I don't care about.

Nothing is free.

I guess whatever works for the specific use case.

For me, I have a mix of mostly private and a few public whois, so Namesilo makes all the sense in the world.

• drdrakedrdrake Member

Having free options is always good. I am going with namesilo. Does anyone know if they make discounts if you are a reseller?

@Nyr said:

Arjon said: Which are the cheapest? I thought namesilo was. I am looking to resell domains so i need the cheapest domain registrar.

It will depend on your volume. You should also consider reliability and not only pricing!

@globalRegisters said:

@Nyr said:

Nothing is free.

I guess whatever works for the specific use case.

For me, I have a mix of mostly private and a few public whois, so Namesilo makes all the sense in the world.

• ricardoricardo Member

Arjon said: Having free options is always good. I am going with namesilo. Does anyone know if they make discounts if you are a reseller?

The info is on their pricing page. If you bulk order or have X domains in your account, you get better pricing.

• WhoaWhoa Member

I moved many of my domains from namecheap to namesilo since namecheap didn't support setting IPv6 glues for registered DNS (needed a support ticket to get that done).

I'm not sure if that's still the case.

The only domains I still have with namecheap are for TLDs that namesilo doesn't support.

• Since I have about 1500 domains and have used both, as well as other registrars, I'll chime in...

NameSilo, in my opinion, is the best current option out there - assuming you don't have a lot of ccTLDs you are dealing with. Why do I say that - there are actually a lot of reasons, but I'll narrow it down to the big ones:

1) Cost - unless you want to wait around and play the coupon game with NC or others (been there - done that), NameSilo simply costs less - they cost less up front, and they cost way less for renewals - lowest total cost of ownership imho. $3-7 less per domain per renewal year may not sound like a lot - but when you start to get more and more domains, it adds up pretty fast.

2) Overall feel/function of web site - some say its not a modern design (ok - fine), but whatever design it is, it is fast - not just that pages load fast, but things were planned out so that you can get things done in the least number of clicks. This becomes more relevant as you acquire more domains. Part of this is that they don't try to upsell you services as you try to get things done (which I really like after years with GD in particular - but NC does this too) - but mostly, they have it set up to get things done - their UI appreciates your time.

3) Support - I hardly ever need support. But the 2 times I have, I was able to chat with someone in minutes that actually knew what they were doing (which I define as understanding how DNS works when it comes to registrar support) - not some level 1 support knowledge base linker. They also have a phone number (NC does not have this) - I have never had to call though.

4) Marketplace - they charge the least amount to sell your domains on their marketplace. They have a lot of appeal in particular for domains that you want to sell for less than $1000 with a buy it now price - it just works if you have a lot of domains in that category - you get paid, the domain gets transferred, for the least cost - best in class for selling domains that meet this criteria (most of mine).

Obviously, I would not put too much emphasis on this since it is published by NameSilo, but they have a comparison table here mentioning other things that may or may not matter to you: https://www.namesilo.com/comparison/Namecheap

My 2 cents.

Thanked by 3MikePT howardsl2 varwww