Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Production server for Wordpress
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Production server for Wordpress

Hi,

Need a Dedicated server for a client, for 1 ecomm website (wordpress + woocommerce). Traffic will be around 3-5k visitors per day with around 500-700 concurrent users (nginx, php fpm, mariadb, varnish/redis+ cloudflare).

So recommended specs ?
Recommended providers (considering reliability and uptime) ?
And how much per month (minimum) are we looking at ?

Location required - Anywhere in US, but preferably East Coast

Comments

• Quoting WordPress themselves:

If you are preparing for truly high traffic (or have already experienced it and are clamoring for some help), you should consider splitting your WordPress application into as many separate layers as possible, and serving those layers independently. Instead of a single host machine running your web server and MySQL/MariaDB, your site speed and resiliency would be helped by running in concurrent layers.

https://codex.wordpress.org/High_Traffic_Tips_For_WordPress

Have you looked at AWS? That will provide you with scalability and the ability to decentralize the layers, provides load balancing (if you run multiple web heads), and off-loaded MySQL.

Just food for thought.

• I would recommend Limestone Networks, great network and their support responds within minutes 24/7. My favorite US provider for sure and their staff is very friendly.

I run 2 sites with 15k visitors daily of a 700MB RAM Vultr instance so I don't see why you would need more then a E3 cpu and 8 GB RAM. Keep in mind I use ServerPilot to handle nginx,apache,php,mysql.

• 1GB VPS with decent disk io should be fine.

• Leaseweb is quite good for 1G VPS choice, while you may go further, pricing for 1GB is quite decent in my perspective.

• MrRapidHostMrRapidHost Member
    edited April 2016

I can do an E3, 8GB RAM, 128GB SSD, 10TB BW plus 10Gbps ddos protection and 1Gbps port at $60/mo let me know if interested. Located at New Jersey.

• VirpusVirpus Member, Host Rep

If you're looking for a 1GB VPS, we could be the answer.

Xen, Seattle based, and our Pure SSD line is 50% off recurring until Sunday (promo ssdapril)

Specs:
    1 GB Ram 30 GB Disk 3 TB BW $3.50/month

http://virpus.com/linux-vps.php

• JunklessJunkless Member
    edited April 2016

Ok, from my experience, I dont think a 1 GB VPS can handle a woocommerce store with 500+ concurrent visitors. Correct me if I am wrong.

• FalzoFalzo Member

@Junkless said:
    Ok, from my experience, I dont think a 1 GB VPS can handle a woocommerce store with 500+ concurrent visitors. Correct me if I am wrong.

I would advise to go for some more ram too. you can use ram over hdd for mysql caching and temp table creation after all, as you can do useful stuff with it adding to redis/php etc.

I'd look for something around 4-8 GB ram, 2-4 Cores (depending on CPU) and maybe ssd in raid 10 if available and depending on the space actually needed (full virtualization for sure or a decent dedicated).

I think if unmanaged that should be possible at around 20-30$ even it's US.
    for a KVM leaseweb seems a good option or something out of OVH/BHS maybe?

otherwise if you choose to go without ssd you may have a look at delimiters usual dedi dual xeon product which comes at $20 if paid quarterly and is available with 2x500 hdd for raid1/redundancy and even 16GB RAM which should be plenty.

• VirpusVirpus Member, Host Rep

If looking for more RAM, same 50% off for life deal applies:

Pure SSD:
    8 Cores 4 GB 90 GB 5 TB $15/month

10 Cores 8 GB Ram 180 GB 6 TB $30/month

http://virpus.com/linux-vps.php

Feel free to PM me with questions!

@Falzo said:

@Junkless said:

I would advise to go for some more ram too. you can use ram over hdd for mysql caching and temp table creation after all, as you can do useful stuff with it adding to redis/php etc.

I'd look for something around 4-8 GB ram, 2-4 Cores (depending on CPU) and maybe ssd in raid 10 if available and depending on the space actually needed (full virtualization for sure or a decent dedicated).

I think if unmanaged that should be possible at around 20-30$ even it's US.
    for a KVM leaseweb seems a good option or something out of OVH/BHS maybe?

otherwise if you choose to go without ssd you may have a look at delimiters usual dedi dual xeon product which comes at $20 if paid quarterly and is available with 2x500 hdd for raid1/redundancy and even 16GB RAM which should be plenty.

• badpatrickbadpatrick Member
    edited April 2016

Wordpress. Not running woocommerce but it gets 8-9k requests a day running on a 512 ram vps from VikingLayer for $2 a month after coupon. Build the site out on a low end box and see if you really need to spend $30+ a month.

But I'm cheap, maybe your not.

• FalzoFalzo Member

@badpatrick said:
    Wordpress. Not running woocommerce but it gets 8-9k requests a day ...

you probably missed that he is talking about that number in visitors not requests.
    if every visitor pulls at least 20 pages while browsing his shop he may easily reach some million requests per day...

I am not saying that this wont work with a lowendbox at all. it heavily depends how optimized your site is and what things you may offload via cdn etc. (which may come at cost too) ;-)

Thanked by 1Junkless