Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

8core processor vs root server for highend cpanel server
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

8core processor vs root server for highend cpanel server

CasterCaster Member

So I have two servers :
A root aka KVM server with
4 core @ Xeon e5
16gb ram
2*1tb HDD on raid1
1gbps shared blah blah

And

Atom 8core
32gb ram
2*256gb ssd on raid 1
500mbps blah blah.

I have cpanel with cloudlinux and 1 CPU license of lightspeed

Which do you recommend ?
Note : the scripts runner by my users are resource hunry .
On root server it ends up load 2-3 . I have configured light speed perfectly so did with cl. Also asked both of their tech team for any more hints where I can improve the performance and they said its the maximum.
The scripts are dynamic so only private cache is enabled.

I don't know about the atom 8 core but in this situation will it b e worth it ?
Or should I move onto a full dedicated E3 or E5 or even 6 core X5650 ?

What you recommend ?

Comments

• pbgbenpbgben Member, Host Rep

You should benchmark your current server under 0 load and that will help you find a more powerful box.

• If your budget allows E3 or E5 and if you think you will grow then you should do it now. It will save lot of time in future migration.

• @pbgben said:
    You should benchmark your current server under 0 load and that will help you find a more powerful box.

I dont have benchmark of the Atom :/

• @netirons said:
    If your budget allows E3 or E5 and if you think you will grow then you should do it now. It will save lot of time in future migration.

Its for some clients who are resource hungry. Budget is not a problem as long it is transparent what i am paying for.

• the xeon would be great as a start off point. No need to go so big on the first try, so give the kvm option a shot first and then upgrade accordingly while you grow.

• @ceibaNet said:
    the xeon would be great as a start off point. No need to go so big on the first try, so give the kvm option a shot first and then upgrade accordingly while you grow.

The KVM is already at its limit . I m using it already.

• raindog308raindog308 Administrator, Veteran

Caster said: On root server it ends up load 2-3

So? Load average of 2 on a 4-core box means 50% of the CPU is idle at least.

Thanked by 1zafouhar
  • AndreixAndreix Member, Host Rep

@Caster said:
    Its for some clients who are resource hungry. Budget is not a problem as long it is transparent what i am paying for.

Hello there,

Please check our offers from here: https://www.hetnix.com/dedicated-servers.xml

If you need so much resources, we can provide you a Dedicated Server with 20 cores and 40 threads. Please feel free to shoot me a PM if you need more details.

Thank you.

• pbgbenpbgben Member, Host Rep

@Caster said:

@pbgben said:

I dont have benchmark of the Atom :/

Google the name of the product and see if someone else has already submitted the bench. You could try serverbear too.