Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Personal Domains and emails
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Personal Domains and emails

alterarchalterarch Member
edited February 2013 in General

I have been reading up on the subject of having your own personal domain name, and most people say that FirstnameLastname.com is the best format to have, so I went ahead and purchased that but now I have run into a situation where I am not sure what the best format for a PERSONAL email address would be. Should it be [email protected] (a bit cheap) or [email protected] (a bit impersonal) etc. Could you post suggestions on what I should use?

Thanks

Comments

• me@, but alias contact@ just to cover your bases and use as appropriate

• @Jack said: You should of got your last name.com so you could do [email protected]

But then to have an appropriate domain you would have to have Firstname.Lastname.com which also looks cheap and is harder to type in and explain.

• RaymiiRaymii Member
    edited February 2013

[email protected] (if possible)

• I usually use "hello" or "hi" instead of "contact".

• rm_rm_ IPv6 Advocate, Veteran
    edited February 2013

@alterarch said: But then to have an appropriate domain you would have to have Firstname.Lastname.com which also looks cheap and is harder to type in and explain.

"Appropriate" for what? "have to", why? and why .com in the first place?
    If it's a personal domain and address, why not relax a bit and not try to follow some rigid standard that you imagined exists?

If you already have a FirstnameLastname domain, contact@ or mail@ look okay, but "me@" on the other hand seems lame. Like "My Computer" in Windows and other similar bullshit.

• jarjar Patron Provider, Top Host, Veteran
    edited February 2013

I like [email protected]

Only because I can't have [email protected]

Because then I would have the worlds worst email address.

• I am using [email protected]. Because my family members are using the domain too.

• DeanDean Member
    edited February 2013
  • @rm_ said: "Appropriate" for what? "have to", why? and why .com in the first place?

If it's a personal domain and address, why not relax a bit and not try to follow some rigid standard that you imagined exists?

This is because everyone 'assumes' that a .com address is the standard. If you say "Go to my website at FirstnameLastname.net" the person would probably try .com first if they forgot the extension, which is easy if it is one of the not-so-important ones. It should be appropriate for identifying yourself eloquently by creating a good first impression. There are standards for a reason, people follow them because it is what they know :).

• I'm a [email protected] fan. Potentially [email protected] if possible.

@alterarch said: This is because everyone 'assumes' that a .com address is the standard. If you say "Go to my website at FirstnameLastname.net" the person would probably try .com first if they forgot the extension

No, not everyone, only dumb people :)

.com for a personal website is silly however you look at it. Are you a commercial enterprise?

• @rm_ said: .com for a personal website is silly however you look at it. Are you a commercial enterprise?

What would you consider a 'personal' TLD then? .me? If I do not register myname.com then someone else might and people can get easily fooled to think that the .com version is mine since, lets face it, in the end .com trumps all.

• murkymurky Member
    edited February 2013

@alterarch said: What would you consider a 'personal' TLD then?

.me.[yourcountrytld]

• Fawk, My last name is taken... would of been mad [email protected] :D

• Officially, I use [email protected], but *@firstnamelastname.com all gets routed to my inbox.

• I tried to play around with the .me Not using it currently but I'll starting using hello@jkris .me

• I've been using [firstinitial][lastname]@[firstinitial][lastname].tld. E.g. [email protected]. Repetitive, sure, but that makes it easy to remember.

• @murky said: .me.[yourcountrytld]

That isn't personal. A lot of businesses register country specific domains and I don't want to 'limit' my audience. I have decided to go for the [email protected] route.

edited February 2013

@alterarch said: What would you consider a 'personal' TLD then?

.yourcountryTLD (everyone forgets about the .us?)
    .name (!!)
    .me (obvious)
    .info (information about you and that you post about something)
    .net (it's your presence on the Net after all)
    just some ideas.
    But .com is just silly. Unless you sell merchandise with your name on it there (like T-Shirts and baseball caps with your last name, for your fans).

• @rm_ said: But .com is just silly. Unless you sell merchandise with your name on it (like T-Shirts and baseball caps with your last name, for your fans).

I would disagree. .com is has become almost a 'standard' for websites on the internet, whether or not they are personal or business related.

• @alterarch said: I would disagree. .com is has become almost a 'standard' for websites on the internet, whether or not they are personal or business related.

pardon? you haven't noticed the very obvious increase in cctld sites?

• @rm_ said: But .com is just silly. Unless you sell merchandise with your name on it there (like T-Shirts and baseball caps with your last name, for your fans).

I, for one, sell my time, so I think .com is fairly appropriate.

• proteusproteus Member
    edited February 2013
  • @murky said: pardon? you haven't noticed the very obvious increase in cctld sites?

You are pardoned. I have noticed the increase in cctld registrations but I have also noticed the increase in non-cctld registrations. This generally means that there is a larger demand for domains rather than just a larger demand for non .com domains. If you want to buy FristnameLastname.me.countrytld, go ahead but know that I will probably never take you seriously again.