Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Any cheap IP KVMs? (display+keyboard+mouse to IP)
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Any cheap IP KVMs? (display+keyboard+mouse to IP)

rm_rm_ IPv6 Advocate, Veteran
edited February 2013 in General

I mean the kind of device that would connect to any random server's VGA, keyboard and mouse port, and make this server accessible via VNC even when it's in the BIOS menu or has no OS installed.

I found some on eBay and Aliexpress, but the descriptions are very terse, usually just some HP (or whatever brand) part number, and it is not clear whether they support VNC or require some proprietary tool to access.

Comments

• rds100rds100 Member
    edited February 2013

All IP KVMs i've tested require either some java program to use (HP) or require a web browser with java (Aten, Lantronix).
    The Lantronix spider was about $200 directly from Lantronix the last time i checked, but that was some kind of promotion, not sure if the price is still valid (the regular price is about $400).

Also don't buy any of the Avocent stuff you see on ebay as they want you to buy their very expensive software to use it. By the way all the Avocent, Dell, HP, Compaq and some other IP KVMs are all made by Avocent really, but HP gives the software for free.

• @rds100 said: Also don't buy any of the Avocent stuff you see on ebay as they want you to buy their very expensive software to use it. By the way all the Avocent, Dell, HP, Compaq and some other IP KVMs are all made by Avocent really, but HP gives the software for free.

There are a couple older models that have a web interface and don't require the software. The web based Avocent units work pretty well, but as always on ebay its buyer beware.

• @jbxl nice, now if you know which models these are... :)

• I've used Startech units like this one. It has a web interface as well as a VNC client. You can also SSH into it. No software required.

• @rds100 said: @jbxl nice, now if you know which models these are... :)

I'll try to find that info. I own an 8 port unit but its currently boxed up.

• We use Dell KVMs, the software is avail in both Linux + Windows.

• Interesting Topic. As I have a 'dedicated server' hosted over at a friends house, I'm also interested in this. When teamviewer/remote desktop is stuck, I need his remote hands to reboot the thing.
    Any recommendations for a cheap 1 PC KVM over IP switch?

• necsnecs Member
    edited February 2013

This is a topic close to my heart.

NECS look after a great number of local businesses, many of them are taken over setup's that we did not spec out initially so have no DRAC/iLO most of the time.

http://www.lantronix.com/it-management/kvm-over-ip/securelinx-spiderduo.html this is and has been for around 2 years the cheapest option I could ever find and it seems the 2008 WHT link found 2 years ago is still about the most relevant one today.

I can only assume some patent prevents a cheap market, quite frankly I would take a $40 cheap replica from China any day as 9/10 they are only used to see if an out of hours engineer is needed.