Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

DigitalOcean backs down in face of pitchfork-wielding mob
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Comments

• It went off the rails at "we created a Customer Advocacy Group".

• FranciscoFrancisco Top Host, Host Rep, Veteran

@Microlinux said:
    It went off the rails at "we created a Customer Advocacy Group".

Welcome to a VC mentality :P

Francisco

Thanked by 2GCat lazyt
  • hawchawc Moderator, LIR

@Microlinux said:
    It went off the rails at "we created a Customer Advocacy Group".

Hipsters

Thanked by 2Kris GCat
  • emgemg Veteran

The same thing happened at a huge company with respect to vacation time. The accumulated vacation time had grown so large that the company was losing bids for government contracts because its overhead rates (cost of vacation time factored into employee salaries) was higher than its competitors. It was a huge liability on their books.

Thanked by 2Francisco GCat
  • jarjar Patron Provider, Top Host, Veteran
    edited April 2016

Honestly the complaints lasted maybe 48 or so hours, it would've been easy to just stick with our plan and not make adjustments. That said, customers expressed legitimate concerns and many of us agreed with them. I think the right decision was made here to change direction just a bit.

Everyone makes mistakes, I'm certainly no exception to that. I can identify areas where I could have done things beforehand that would have reduced complaints. I really appreciate the feedback I received from members here (among others).

Thanked by 3Corey yomero aglodek
  • tommytommy Member

too much people complain? :D

• FranciscoFrancisco Top Host, Host Rep, Veteran
    edited April 2016

@tommy said:
    too much people complain? :D

Probably some but if @jarland was allowed to give any input i'm sure he gave a serious push in the compromise direction. @jarland goes the distance to be reasonable and help people so I have no doubt he's got some involvement in this.

People need to realize though that DO just got ~$140M in loans the other week instead of another round of VC funding ( be it VC was an option or not is unknown ). They have the graphs showing how much credit was claimed and that's debt in the eyes of the bank. That's service that at some point they may very well have to have gear on hand to support.

Francisco

Thanked by 3jar yomero tommy
  • jarjar Patron Provider, Top Host, Veteran

@Francisco said:
    Probably some but if @jarland was allowed to give any input i'm sure he gave a serious push in the compromise direction. @jarland goes the distance to be reasonable and help people so I have no doubt he's got some involvement in this.

<3

I feel as though I was given equal ground to anyone else in the company with feedback on this, and that the rest of our support team were afforded the same courtesy. A hosting company that listens to its support team will go far. I honestly believe that.

Thanked by 1Riz