Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Looking for a new VPS but have a some requirements
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Looking for a new VPS but have a some requirements

AuroraZAuroraZ Barred
edited December 2011 in Help

I know there are many, many, many VPS offers both here and on lowendbox.com but none of them seem to be a good fit for what I need. Actually for the most part I can't tell because they don't say what OS they support for reinstall, etc.... I need a box for testing purposes only. It will not be hosting any sites what so ever. I suppose it could do so in the future but that will a long ways off so for now just for testing of scripts I code myself.

I would like it to have a minimum of 256 mb of ram, 20 gb of hard drive space, and 1 TB of transfer.

The most important requirement would be that I can load Slackware. The Slackware minimum install and full install if possible. Not many providers, if any, I know of do this.

I would like a Xen or KVM but for my $5 a month budget I doubt it will happen. Most likely will have to settle for OpenVZ.

Now you see the dilemma in the situation. If anyone knows of anyone whom can do this for me or you are a Reputable provider and can help me out I would greatly appreciate it.

Comments

• Corgitech has a 512mb 40gb 1tb vmware VPS but it's $7/mth.. the good thing about them is that you can load your own iso from your local computer

• NickMNickM Member
    edited December 2011

Any host worth anything will set up a Slackware template for you if you ask them to - I know that I've seen Slackware as an option at AlienVPS and others. Your best bet may be to find hosts that meet the specs that you require, then ask their sales department if Slackware is available.

Thanked by 1drmike
  • @earl said: Corgitech has a 512mb 40gb 1tb vmware VPS but it's $7/mth.. the good thing about them is that you can load your own iso from your local computer

I saw them and they are out of my budget. Thank you for the reply though.

@NickM said: Any host worth anything will set up a Slackware template for you if you ask them to - I know that I've seen Slackware as an option at AlienVPS and others. Your best bet may be to find hosts that meet the specs that you require, then ask their sales department if Slackware is available.

Heard a few disturbing things about Alien awhile back. Not sure if they were true or not but do not want to take the chance at this point really. I may just have to do as you suggest and find some then ask if they can make Slackware available. If I can find anyone on Live chat lol. Never seems to be available when I am looking around people's sites.

• BuyVM has a Slackware OpenVZ template. It is minimal though.

• Hostigation has a Slackware template for KVM. Not the bandwidth/disk space you're looking for. I don't think your expectations are realistic. Do you really need 1TB of bandwidth for testing purposes only?

• +1 for what @NickM said about specs first and then asking about Slackware.

I have to admit though that your specs sound high for a "Just a test" box. Are you sure you need something so high? Not doubting you. Just wondering if you can get away with something smaller like a $15 a year box.

• Many hosts will add templates for you. Three hosts that spring to mind are BuyVM, Hostigation and Kiloserve.

Thanked by 1Infinity
  • @maxexcloo said: Many hosts will add templates for you. Three hosts that spring to mind are BuyVM

Within reason :P Yes, we typically have no issues with adding a template for a common distro/build that we've tested and know works well on our custom kernels. But we won't add rare, excessively difficult, or otherwise homebrew templates since they'd be accessible to all clients (some of whom don't need to be given that many choices :P)

• TigersWayTigersWay Member
    edited December 2011

@Aldryic said: Yes, we typically have no issues with adding a template for a common distro/build

That's right, you do. Even delay is understandable... But it's still quite difficult to find a clean minimal debian squeeze template. So Slackware is surely even harder.

• kylixkylix Member
    edited December 2011

@TigersWay said: But it's still quite difficult to find a clean minimal debian squeeze template.

When it comes to Debian and KVM, isn't the netinstall iso sufficient? And for Slackware the mini-ISOs?

• When it comes to OpenVZ templates, these will be added with little question by most providers out of the top section, the contributed templates rarely work, filled with bugs, and just bad news.

I don't think a $5 budget is unrealistic, but a little wiggle room might be needed if you are going to instantly require support more than others would.

• AuroraZAuroraZ Barred
    edited December 2011

@Kairus said: Hostigation has a Slackware template for KVM. Not the bandwidth/disk space you're looking for. I don't think your expectations are realistic. Do you really need 1TB of bandwidth for testing purposes only?

As I said testing for now but that is okay perhaps you are correct and I will just have to setup yet another box at home.

@drmike said: I have to admit though that your specs sound high for a "Just a test" box. Are you sure you need something so high? Not doubting you. Just wondering if you can get away with something smaller like a $15 a year box.

Would rather have a bit more then I need then not have enough. I will never go with a per year plan. I have seen to many bad things happen with those. No offense meant to anyone.

@miTgiB said: When it comes to OpenVZ templates, these will be added with little question by most providers out of the top section, the contributed templates rarely work, filled with bugs, and just bad news.

I don't think a $5 budget is unrealistic, but a little wiggle room might be needed if you are going to instantly require support more than others would.

Been using Slackware for years I need no assistance period with anything to do with it. I am very comfortable with it and how it works.

Thank you to everyone who responded but as just about everyone has said it might be better for me to just setup a box at home I guess. I thought it might be easier to do this on a VPS as I don't have the room really nor do I get around very well anymore. We all have to do what we have to do to get the job done though. Thank you for your advice and I hope you have a great day and upcoming weekend. :)

• @AuroraZ I think you can find a KVM box without a problem w/ 256mb of ram for $5, but 20GB of disk space, and 1TB of b/w seem a tad bit unrealistic. Do you really need that much resources right now? I can't see a reputable provider offering that combination of resources.

• Depends on whether or not you think we're reliable, @Kairus.

• @Kairus said: @AuroraZ I think you can find a KVM box without a problem w/ 256mb of ram for $5, but 20GB of disk space, and 1TB of b/w seem a tad bit unrealistic. Do you really need that much resources right now? I can't see a reputable provider offering that combination of resources.

Okay here is the thing man. I may not need all of it right at this moment no but the budget for this even in the future will not change. So adding more money to it is not option as I live on what I have.

I do not have a job anymore for reasons I do not discuss in public for many other reasons. The money I have to live on for a month is what a lot of people make in a week. I am not able to work a factory job anymore and I do not have a degree and can not afford to incur the debt of college. If I could even get there once I enrolled.

The bandwidth I can see being cut in half, or even a third, but the disk space is not that much really. Like I said it does not have to be KVM. I would like either KVM or Xen but would settle for OpenVZ as long as it has both Min and full Slack installs.

@Aldryic said: Depends on whether or not you think we're reliable

I know this was @Kairus man but I hope you do not mind if I respond. I would snap up one of your plans but you always seem to be out of stock. Which for you is a good thing and means you do a great job and are reliable. I will not ask for special treatment for anything which is why I have not asked in a P.M. if you had any openings.

• @AuroraZ said: I would snap up one of your plans but you always seem to be out of stock.

PM me around 08h-09h GMT-6 in the morning (or catch me on Skype/IRC/Twitter). Tomorrow is Casualties Friday, so I'm pretty sure to have one available :P

• @Aldryic said: PM me around 08h-09h GMT-6 in the morning (or catch me on Skype/IRC/Twitter). Tomorrow is Casualties Friday, so I'm pretty sure to have one available :P

I will not be able to be on at that time I am afraid. : ( I go to PT at 0700. 7 days a week. That's GMT -5. Thank you for the offer. :) No worries though bro like I said I don't expect, nor do I want any special treatment. It will work out somehow things usually do either for the good or bad.

• Hah, no worries. Any time after that is fine, too... that's just usually when I'm finishing up audits for the morning. If it makes you feel better, Casualties Friday is open for anyone interested; it's a chance for folks to pick up some of our available plans between sales :P

• I will take you up on that if no one else chooses to even try to compete. The KVM256 would be perfect. If someone gets the boot or gives one up that is lol.

• jenokjenok Member, Host Rep
    edited January 2012

@AuroraZ said: I would like a Xen or KVM but for my $5 a month budget I doubt it will happen. Most likely will have to settle for OpenVZ.

You've said yourself you doubt about it. So it is unlikely possible, but some maybe able to match your needs.

• Which location would you prefer?
    Any host 'should' be willing to add a slackware image for you.
    We list all our PV & HVM templates used, I'm quite surprised many hosts don't show a current list of their templates.