Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

What would offer more horse power 10 $2 dollar vps or 1 $20 dollar dedi?
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

What would offer more horse power 10 $2 dollar vps or 1 $20 dollar dedi?

I saw this guy's offer today and got to thinking what would be the most horsepower for running python scripts.

I currently have 2 dollar vps from dacentec which has 1 gig ram cant recall the cpu.

I run scripts with multithreading so I spread the load either way. I'm thinking that multiple vps should beat out any dedi for the same price right? I mean 10 $2 dollar vps = 10 cores at least. Ram isn't important but processing power is most important.

Are there any considerations I may not have thought of? Sure it is more setup and maintainance on 10 vs one dedi.

Comments

• IshaqIshaq Member
    edited April 2016

VPS at that price are shared between possibly hundreds of customers, and sometimes capped at 500Mhz or less, for example.

The answer to your question depends entirely on the limits set by the VPS provider.

With a dedicated server you get to use everything for yourself 24/7. And you can find Dual L5420's around for $20/month these days, if you're lucky.

That's 5.0GHz of processing power, just for you.

• Depends on how much CPU you are allowed to use for those VPS. 100% of an entire CPU vs 20% of a single core of a CPU that could be abused by another person at that time. But you do get 10 IPs (hopefully) with the VPS route.

• Dedi every time. If you're looking to max out on CPU I don't see a favourable benefit/hassle ratio with a VPS.

It's not just the raw cycles you use, but the layer of paranoia that a VPS provider will have for a whole bunch of reasons.

• Also, there's an increasing number of providers who either have weird time-based restrictions on their "dedicated" cores/threads, or are completely lying about it.

Either way, for real number crunching, save yourself the hassle and simply get a dedi.

• for that budget, Dedicated is always a better choice. As already suggested, no one is gonna provide a dedicated core VPS for 2$ a month.

• lowendguy7lowendguy7 Member
    edited April 2016

Hmm I see had not considered. I hadnt considered that cpu also gets shared :D thought it was just bandwidth.

Though tbf I havent had any complaints with my cheap and cheerful 2 dollar vps :) that is if I'm not encoding. I could go along well with this one if Im not encoding however I had been thinking about adding encoding to my workload so dedi would be a must in that case.

Thanked by 1Brannin
  • pbgbenpbgben Member, Host Rep

20* vCPU != 20* cpu cores, they're most definitely shared at those prices. The benefit I see is that you could locate them geologically and across multiple hosts for better redundancy.

Thanked by 1daily
  • If your scripts are not running continuously probably one of the cloud options where you only pay for the time your instance is running will give you the best price performance ratio.
    If your scripts are running continuously then a dedi is your only realistic option.

• If my needs are simple, I prefer VPS. Because someone else monitors and takes care of the bare metal for me. I just need to complain when something goes wrong.

• Chances are you are going to get more horsepower on 10 VPS at $2, that said, typically VPS at that price point have fair usage AUP and aren't dedicated resources, so if you are drilling 10 VPS's with a provider at 100% for any length of time, expect to be shown the door.

Or in summary, if you want raw power, go dedicated, always.

• Do you know how much horsepower you are using right now? Just bear in mind on a dedicated server you can use all the horses at once, where as on a VPS using all the horses won't leave any horsepower for others - and you might get suspended.

• vfusevfuse Member, Host Rep

You're probably going to get better performance from 10 VPS's (best would be if they were not all on the same physical host).

For example on arubacloud I had a 1 euro VPS with unixbench of ~1500 that would total to ~30000 unixbench. There's no way you're going to get that from a dedicated server for 20 per month.

• Interesting the argument have swung fully in the other direction in my absense :)

Also with the 2 dollar ones I can scale up gradually as needed.

Is there easy ways to clone my current one to avoid setup time? as it took a few months to get things running how i liked them. talking of linux cli only.

• blackblack Member

lowendguy7 said: Is there easy ways to clone my current one to avoid setup time? as it took a few months to get things running how i liked them.

Bash script :P