Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

New to using a VPS, questions about signup....
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

New to using a VPS, questions about signup....

3ricG3ricG Member
edited December 2011 in Help

I've never used a VPS, but I figure this is the best place to start. As I got into looking at the VPS offers, I've noticed a few places asking for a hostname (ex: https://secure.cheapvps.co.uk/cart.php?a=confproduct&i=0). Does this mean I need a domain first, or is this a request for a domain? Thanks!

Comments

• AldryicAldryic Member
    edited December 2011

If the provider is using WHMCS, then the 'hostname' is nothing more than a vanity name for the service. Whatever you enter in that field is what your VPS will be called in their system.

Thanked by 1wolfman
  • You may want to check the comments for the providers over on the main site. This is on the check list of few of the folks here and has come up previously. Some providers want a real domain in there while others could care less.

• Like the others said, just pick something. I personally name all my servers off names in Star Wars. Yup, call me a geek! :P

• OH! Okay, I didn't completely understand the form I was looking at (see link above). It said "eg. server1(.yourdomain.com)", and I assumed I had to put a whole domain in. I realize now that I'm only entering the "server1" part (which could be anything). Thanks everyone!

• @drmike - gaaah! Couldn't care less.

• @tjasko said: I personally name all my servers off names in Star Wars.

This is slightly different from the host or machine name. The poster is asking about a domain name during signup. With most billing platforms designed for shared hosting, that field is part of the standard templates.

We've talked about this before here on the forums.

• @drmike said: This is slightly different from the host or machine name.

Not necessarily -http://i.imgur.com/I4rUB.png

@drmike said: With most billing platforms designed for shared hosting, that field is part of the standard templates.

True. Although many modules for extraneous software (such as our own Stallion, or that pile of garbage Solus releases) will use this field to set the container hostname as well. Although this is typically changeable via the external panel's client front-end.