Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Any other NAT KVMs exist out there?
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Any other NAT KVMs exist out there?

akbakb Member
edited April 2016 in General

Hi.

I am aware of the VZ ones all working under the ambit of LES. Just wondering whether there are any such offerings outside of LES or any KVM-NAT VPSes apart from LHC? Searched google exhaustively but could not find anything. I wonder how come no one else tried this apart from Anthony? Its been few years now that these things exist.

Please share if you know any.

Comments

• exception0x876exception0x876 Member, Host Rep, LIR
    edited April 2016

KVM is not that resources savy when it comes to small VPS's.

• angstromangstrom Moderator

exception0x876 said: KVM is not that resources savy when it comes to small VPS's.

True, but I guess that there's no particular reason why a NAT KVM would have to be small. In fact, LHC's MiniKVM 512, MiniKVM 768, and MiniKVM 1024 aren't so small. It would be nice to have more offerings in NAT KVMs.

• akbakb Member

Few OS (Debian etc) work just fine even in a 128mb KVM. I feel there isn't much demand for NATed KVM which is why we don't see many offerings. Most people probably just buy LES to hook OpenVPN on it & get going which is easily done in OpenVZ. There are a few uses specific to KVM even in that low end space.

• AnthonySmithAnthonySmith Member, Patron Provider
    edited April 2016

I was not surprised that no one followed with NAT KVM :)

It takes a bit more fine tuning than OpenVZ and you cant oversell the ram 16:1

You will probably only find better more stable hosts doing this in the future if ever.

That said, Singapore has been a disaster, Netherlands is doing great though.

• akb said: There are a few uses specific to KVM even in that low end space.

Like?

• akbakb Member

AnthonySmith said: It takes a bit more fine tuning than OpenVZ and you cant oversell the ram 16:1

So the inability to oversell just too much is the primary reason. That explains it :-)

One which pushed me yesterday to look for a tiny cheap KVM was IPSEC. I am sure there might be some other uses too which don't need a dedicated IP but do need full virtualization.

• angstromangstrom Moderator

AnthonySmith said: That said, Singapore has been a disaster, Netherlands is doing great though.

If I may ask, why has Singapore been a disaster? In terms of abusers? Or in terms of not being profitable enough for the investment made?

• @angstrom said:

AnthonySmith said: That said, Singapore has been a disaster, Netherlands is doing great though.

If I may ask, why has Singapore been a disaster? In terms of abusers? Or in terms of not being profitable enough for the investment made?

I remember there being a huge disaster with the RAID malfunctioning and the host not reacting to it properly, but I'm sure I'm missing something in this explanation.

• i wish @AnthonySmith could add some stocks in SG NAT KVM, a great product in fact.

Its leaseweb SG, the network is diabolical, ipv6 is an absolute joke, staff are so bad its not even funny in hindsight, every single disk on the server has been replaced, some twice, they have an SLA, I pay for an SLA as an upgrade, they fail it every time and simply apologize (a month later, by phone).

Honestly I have been seriously considering shutting it down, I certainly wont put more customers on it, which in reality means it is running at a big loss but that's not the primary reason or root cause of the disaster.

• @AnthonySmith said:
    Its leaseweb SG, the network is diabolical, ipv6 is an absolute joke, staff are so bad its not even funny in hindsight, every single disk on the server has been replaced, some twice, they have an SLA, I pay for an SLA as an upgrade, they fail it every time and simply apologize (a month later, by phone).

Honestly I have been seriously considering shutting it down, I certainly wont put more customers on it, which in reality means it is running at a big loss but that's not the primary reason or root cause of the disaster.

do u have any more stock? i simply feel it is good...

• nepsneps Member
    edited April 2016

I think the it's because the market for it is relatively small.

A.) By offering NAT'ed KVMs instead of dedicated IP KVMs, the number of potential customers goes down not up.

B.) By offering NAT'ed KVMs instead of NAT'ed OpenVZs, price goes up, which is a huge reason why anyone would choose a NAT VPS over a one with a dedicated IP anyway. Doubt many people are looking specifically for a NAT VPS for any other reason other than cost cutting.

• @singhigh said:

@AnthonySmith said:

do u have any more stock? i simply feel it is good...

Do you need one? I have two of it in SG, one for Git (works great, using in prod) and another one for hastebin (so-so, nothing much on it).

Tell me if you're interested to get the latter transferred to you (if Anthony allows it), I had a problem where the VPS wasn't provisioned correctly in SolusVM (many times) and root access was broken, but @AnthonySmith was really nice and got the access fixed, now I'm able to access non-root accounts via SSH (and escalate to root when needed).

Willing to let it go for cheap (€5.25 divided by 4 for remaining time), validity left til August iirc. Hoping to have the credit in my WHMCS though, so I don't have to pay that much to renew my other node.

Anyway, thanks @AnthonySmith for the Singapore location, it works great, but gotta agree that LeaseWeb's peering sucks.

• if @AnthonySmith allows, i would like to take it, thanks!

I wont be doing any SG transfers sorry, SG is essentially a closed location now in terms of changes/new service, happy to refund any due time by way of credit though.

• smansman Member

@AnthonySmith said:

Hmmm, good to know. I was looking at Leasweb SG. Doesn't sound like such a good idea now. Been sorta waiting for OVH to start up there to see what they do.

• @AnthonySmith said:
    Its leaseweb SG, the network is diabolical

http://bgp.he.net/AS59253#_peers

Weird peering arrangements.... No presence in IXes and simply no peering done with a local ISP, even the smaller players.

@AnthonySmith said:
    I wont be doing any SG transfers sorry, SG is essentially a closed location now in terms of changes/new service, happy to refund any due time by way of credit though.

Noted with thanks!

@sman said:

@AnthonySmith said:

Hmmm, good to know. I was looking at Leasweb SG. Doesn't sound like such a good idea now. Been sorta waiting for OVH to start up there to see what they do.

Yep, I can honestly say that it has been the worst experience with any host I have ever used, I always had a picture in my head of leaseweb being one of the few high quality hosts in terms of staff, the reality is waaaaay different.

At this point they sort of remind me of burst.net before they burst.