Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Expectations of consistent speed
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Expectations of consistent speed

NekkiNekki Veteran
edited February 2013 in Help

I have multiple containers around that world that I use for VPN (for anonymity purposes), all of which have a Gigabit port. I download a fair amount of data, but usually in small chunks - a few hundred MB here and there, very occasionally something bigger (like an ISO). Previously, my home connection was limited to 30Mb/s, and all my VPN installations were able to give me this speed consistently, when I needed it.

I've now had my home connection doubled to 60Mb/s, and I've found that none of my containers are able to provide this speed consistently; at best I get an average of 40Mb/s, and that's with lots of peaks and troughs during the transfer. Without VPN enabled, I'm able to download at a consistent 60Mb/s, so I know where the bottleneck is.

Obviously I know that even with a Gigabit port I shouldn't be expecting all of that to be available to me all day, but is expecting to get at least a tenth of that for 5 minutes every couple of hours unreasonable or not? I'm asking because the providers in question have been excellent, and I don't want to be a bellend and raise tickets about this if my expectations are unreasonable.

Comments

• By download speed do you mean by a single connection or by multiple simultanious connections (i.e. torrent)?
    Single connection download will always be limited due to how TCP works.

• Not knowing which geo you're in, I'd say you should reasonably be able to burst to 100+mbps at any time on a gigabit port.

That said, with LEBs many providers themselves are on "shared" gigabit connections (if they even have gigabit) so this could be less.

When it comes to non LEBs like Rackspace, Linode, etc. they actually limit your outbound port speed by default. (Rackspace now has a clear listing of this on their plans page for example) but Linode I think limits you to 30 or 40mbps unless you submit a ticket.

If you're in the latter category, it could be worth reaching out to them to ask.

• Also as @rds100 mentions you'd want to really run iperf between your local pc and your hosts to get an idea of the real throughput. A single wget/scp/whatever could all have different implications.

• @rds100 said: By download speed do you mean by a single connection or by multiple simultanious connections (i.e. torrent)?

Apologies; I'm talking about multiple simultaneous connections; I generally download using managers or via usenet (torrents rarely, but I never get anywhere near my maximum speed from these anyway).

@unused - these are all lowend providers, which is why I'm being more cautious with regards to expectations; if I was dealing with the bigger companies, I probably have jumped on them already for an explanation.

• Dutch by any chance?

• @ztec said: Dutch by any chance?

In what respect?