Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Is there a way to set the monitor type of a KVM or Xen virtual machine?
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Is there a way to set the monitor type of a KVM or Xen virtual machine?

rchurchrchurch Member

Is there some way to set the graphics card and monitor type of a virtual machiine so that you can change the resolution? I need to go above the 1280x1024 screen resolution which appears to be the maximum of a lot of the KVM virtual machines

Comments

• perennateperennate Member, Host Rep

You can try setting video driver to vga instead of cirrus (which is usually default). Like http://wiki.libvirt.org/page/QEMUSwitchToLibvirt#-vga

Thanked by 1rchurch
  • @perennate said:
    You can try setting video driver to vga instead of cirrus (which is usually default). Like http://wiki.libvirt.org/page/QEMUSwitchToLibvirt#-vga

Are some these options available with Lunanode VMs? I am complete lost here as most providers don't present any interface which allows access to such parameters. Are the available on OpenStack, Amazon, Virtualbox etc?

• perennateperennate Member, Host Rep

rchurch said: Are some these options available with Lunanode VMs? I am complete lost here as most providers don't present any interface which allows access to such parameters. Are the available on OpenStack, Amazon, Virtualbox etc?

I assume you have access to the hypervisor? In that case you can use virsh edit dom to edit the domain XML and complete the modification. On Luna Node you can modify the video driver of a custom image on the image details page (select an image after you add it in the Images tab). VirtualBox guest utilities usually provides driver that supports different resolutions. On others there are probably various ways.

• DaveMateDaveMate Member
    edited April 2016

Monitoring screen will take up to many resources "I think" why dont you just do

• Memory usage

• Network utilization

• I/O read and write performance

• CPU usage

Monitoring

• rchurchrchurch Member

@DaveMate said:

• Memory usage

• Network utilization

• CPU usage

Monitoring

You've got the question wrong. It is not about monitoring the servers resource utilization. It is about the monitor setup for VNC and the like, not for virtual X Windows but the hardware graphics resolution and its monitor settings.

• @rchurch said:

@DaveMate said:

• Memory usage

• Network utilization

• CPU usage

Monitoring

You've got the question wrong. It is not about monitoring the servers resource utilization. It is about the monitor setup for VNC and the like, not for virtual X Windows but the hardware graphics resolution and its monitor settings.

Ohh i got ya, sorry for that my mistake :)