Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Suggestion for Virtualization
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Suggestion for Virtualization

jibon57jibon57 Member
edited April 2016 in Help

Hello everyone,

We are going to rent one server from OVH (https://www.ovh.com/us/dedicated-servers/details-servers.xml?range=ENT&id=SP-64-S). But we want to spilt that server into multiple containers so that we can use that server for multiple purpose. Example: Webhosting, VoIP, BigBlueButton etc. Everything for our own purpose not for sale or share with multiple users. Now my question, which virtualisation we will consider OpenVZ or KVM? I read in web about the advantages of both OpenVZ & KVM but everyone was writing about resell/business purpose. Anyone can give me suggestion please?

Thanks
Jibon

Comments

• I would use KVM or maybe vSphere.

Thanked by 1jibon57
  • jibon57jibon57 Member
    edited April 2016

Do you know any open source free control panel for it? Also should we take a combination of SSD+HDD or HDD is just fine?

• exception0x876exception0x876 Member, Host Rep, LIR

I suggest you to try Proxmox

Thanked by 1jibon57
  • Proxmox is pretty good it supports KVM and LXC (Similar to OpenVZ), I've also used vSphere both are pretty good options. Proxmox would be the less expensive option.

Thanked by 1jibon57
  • FalzoFalzo Member

it depends what the software needs you intend to use... openvz does not virtualize on hardware layer, so if you need special kernel modules per container this will probably not work as intended.
    therefore KVM would be preferable, but its not so easy to share or overcommit on ressources like RAM or diskspace (which may be perfectly considerable on a personal environment)
    there also is no newer kernel for openvz, which is a big disadvantage I'd say.

I'd suggest you first do some research on what you are really planning to install on your VMs and clarifying if everything of this list would work in a simple container.
    if this is the case maybe have a look into proxmox+lxc which overcomes some OVZ disadvantages like the old kernel and such.

Thanked by 1jibon57
  • jibon57jibon57 Member
    edited April 2016

Thank you all for your suggestions. I have another question regarding Hard Disk. In KVM, will the combination of SSD+HDD give better performance or only HDD fine?

@jibon57 said:
    Thank you all for your suggestions. I have another question regarding Hard Disk. In KVM, will the combination of SSD+HDD give better performance or only HDD fine?

It depends on your IO patterns. If you have some apps with heavy random IO, SSD will grant a serious benefit.

Thanked by 1jibon57
  • @exception0x876, If I go for virtualisation, can I install rootfs of each OS on SSD? Or only HW OS can be install on SSD.

edited April 2016

@jibon57 said:
    @exception0x876, If I go for virtualisation, can I install rootfs of each OS on SSD? Or only HW OS can be install on SSD.

if you go with KVM, you can attach two disks for each VM. One for system root located on SSD, and one for data located on HDD.

EDIT: for OpenVZ and LXC it might be possible to "mount --bind" specific directories to HDD while keeping rootfs on SSD.

Thanked by 1jibon57
  • Take a look Docker, it has the minimal overhead. Otherwise I would say KVM.

Personally I use both.

• shovenoseshovenose Member, Host Rep

XenServer

• Try proxmox. Easy to install/configure and use

• LiteServerLiteServer Member, Patron Provider

Proxmox has my vote as well. Very easy to setup, and supports both KVM and LXC. And technical / support wise you can find quite some information on their forum.

If you are going to host multiple virtual machines on that box, especially with random I/O operations, I would definitely recommend to go for the option with SSD storage.

• @LiteServer, thanks for the suggestion. Are you talking about HW node on SSD or all VM in SSD? Actually we will need too much HD disk so don't want to hire SSD with high price.

• LiteServerLiteServer Member, Patron Provider

@jibon57 said:
    @LiteServer, thanks for the suggestion. Are you talking about HW node on SSD or all VM in SSD? Actually we will need too much HD disk so don't want to hire SSD with high price.

An option you might want to consider in such case is SSD Caching. Possible with a nice LSI HW controller, or with a software solution like flashcache.

Using SSD caching gives you the benefit of SSD performance for data that is frequently being accessed/written, while other data will just run of your SATA drives.

Thanked by 1jibon57