Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Block Browsing/Downloading
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Block Browsing/Downloading

hyena56hyena56 Member

Hello,

My friend want his VPS to setup only for gaming purposes for playing online games however to prevent bandwidth usage goes higher he wants to block browsing/download is it possible?.

Regards,
Hyena.

Comments

• blackblack Member

I'm not sure what you mean. Just run the game server and nothing else, then set the game server to not serve maps or whatever to reduce bandwidth.

• @black said:
    I'm not sure what you mean. Just run the game server and nothing else, then set the game server to not serve maps or whatever to reduce bandwidth.

Nope this is not gameserver mister, i mean a server only for Online Games not allowed to download/browse to get a low ping.

• KuJoeKuJoe Member, Host Rep

You need to explain yourself better. Are you saying your friend is renting a VPS and wants to block himself from using it to download from/browse on the internet?

• @KuJoe said:
    You need to explain yourself better. Are you saying your friend is renting a VPS and wants to block himself from using it to download from/browse on the internet?

A VPS Setup for VPN which is only for Playing Online Games (Low Ping) and disable browsing or downloading the internet only dedicated to playing online games.

• edited April 2016

Not exactly sure what you want, but if you are doing so because the VPS has a better network, I suppose you can use iptables to block outgoing to port 80&443... and leave the gameserver port unblocked.

@hyena56 said:

@KuJoe said:

A VPS Setup for VPN which is only for Playing Online Games (Low Ping) and disable browsing or downloading the internet only dedicated to playing online games.

OK so your friend is renting a VPS and has it setup as a VPN server used to connect to online games and he wants to prevent it from accessing any other content besides the online game to reduce his latency (ping)? If this is what you're trying to accomplish it's not possible. You cannot lower your latency to a server by reducing your number of connections. The latency between two servers is based on the amount of time it takes for a packet to travel and unless you have so many connections that your NIC is not able to handle all of them then you're as good as you're going to get.

edited April 2016

I did just think of something. If you have hundreds of thousands of connections a second then you can probably do some QoS to prioritize UDP traffic so your packets to your game servers get priority over TCP traffic but even then your latency will not improve only the amount of packet loss you experience when your NIC can't handle the number of packets.