Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Has anyone tried this?
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Has anyone tried this?

DStroutDStrout Member
edited February 2013 in General

As some of you may know, I recently won an auction on here for NetworkReset.com, registered at GoDaddy and expiring March 2nd. However, it was locked from transfer:

Simple3x said: We can transfer registrars, but not until 3 months from now. Since I accidentally bought WHOIS privacy (which I cancelled), a 3 months tie has been placed on the domain, preventing transfer from GD to another registrar.

However, I was able to unlock the domain @ GoDaddy and get the EPP code, so I see no reason why it wouldn't transfer. I have initiated a transfer to Namecheap, and I'm curious to see how it goes. Any ideas?

Comments

• they will stop it anyway

• AlexBarakovAlexBarakov Patron Provider, Veteran
    edited February 2013

Should go through.

EDIT: not sure, just think if you have gotten the EPP code, from there on it should be just as any other transfer

• Two Alexes with two different opinions :) I'll be sure to update if it goes through (or not, for that matter).

• DStroutDStrout Member
    edited February 2013

REGISTRAR TRANSFER DENIED

Dear D**** Strout,
    The transfer you requested has been declined because you opted-in to a transfer lock for 60 days when you agreed to the Go Daddy Change of Registrant policy.
    For security reasons, when you change the registrant's first name, last name, or organization name, you consent to a 60 day lock on transferring the domain name. Because you have provided your consent, Section 3(6) of the ICANN Policy on Transfer of Registration between Registrars permits us to decline your transfer request.

Edit: I'm on the phone with GoDaddy to see if I can get them to re-enable transfers. Fingers crossed! On a related note, I love the fact that they allow you to hold without music.

Edit 2: No dice. Can't get that turned off. No transfers until April 16 :(

Edit 3: Just checked the Namecheap knowledgebase and found this article, which was useful. Apparently they'll refund me the transfer fee automatically. The first comment asked about refunding to the original payment source, which is also possible by opening a support ticket.

Edit 4: Managed to expedite the cancellation process on Namecheap's end over chat. Transfer cancelled and Paypal refunded.

• flyfly Member
    edited February 2013

60 day lock is pretty common

• @fly Not doubting you (great stick-with-us measure), but which other registrars do you know of that do this? AFAIK Namecheap doesn't do things like this, which is nice. They're the "don't be evil" of registrars.

• DStroutDStrout Member
    edited February 2013

OK, here's something. In the "transfer request declined" e-mail, GoDaddy cites the ICANN transfer policy, section 3.6, which reads as follows:

The Registrar of Record may deny a transfer request only in the following specific instances:

Express objection to the transfer by the authorized Transfer Contact. [...] In all cases, the objection must be provided with the express and informed consent of the authorized Transfer Contact on an opt-in basis and upon request by the authorized Transfer Contact, the Registrar must remove the lock or provide a reasonably accessible method for the authorized Transfer Contact to remove the lock within five (5) calendar days

I am the authorized Transfer Contact, and I want them to remove the lock. So they have to. I have e-mailed them with a formal request to do so, we'll see what happens.

Edit: I should be in good shape: http://domainincite.com/9197-go-daddys-60-day-transfer-lock-can-now-be-removed
    I just wish it weren't cutting things so close to the expiration date.

• DStroutDStrout Member
    edited February 2013

Just got off the phone with a rep that told me I would need to send in a picture of a photo ID to have it unlocked. What a pain. On the up side, she also told me that I had a 7 day grace period after expiration to work on the domain, which will help.

• shovenoseshovenose Member, Host Rep

AFAIK all registrars have the same policy. I do!