Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

DNS servers order changed.
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

DNS servers order changed.

PlioserPlioser Member
edited April 2016 in General

Hi!

Yesterday, I configured Hurricane Electric DNS as a slave for my domains. No problems with that, I got the domains properly configured, the transfers were ok, HE received notifications from the primary server, etc.

I left the domains working properly with NSone as primary and HE as slave. On my domain (checked several times with IntoDNS and SolveDNS):

• ns1.nsone.etc
  • ns2.nsone.etc
  • ns3.nsone.etc
  • ns4.nsone.etc
  • ns2.he.net
  • ns3.he.net

The problem it's that this morning, checking my domains with IntoDNS and SolveDNS again, the DNS servers order for all my domain was:

• ns2.he.net
  • ns3.he.net
  • ns1.nsone.etc
  • ns2.nsone.etc
  • ns3.nsone.etc
  • ns4.nsone.etc

The DNS queries were being answered by HE. In my domains, the server list order it's ok, with no changes. The domains are in different registrars.

Why? I didn't change anything.

Thanks!!

Comments

• daviddavid Member

It depends on how the registrar answers the whois query. The order doesn't really matter as they're used randomly, but I admit it's nice to see them listed in order.

Thanked by 1Plioser
  • @david said:
    It depends on how the registrar answers the whois query. The order doesn't really matter as they're used randomly, but I admit it's nice to see them listed in order.

Hi David, thanks.

The problem it's that the domains are registered with three diferent registrars, and the order, after the change, was the same.

I need to keep NSone as primary server and answering the queries as a first option. I would like to use HE just as a DNS backup.

If the order changes without my permission, I will have to stop use HE.

Thanks again.

• rds100rds100 Member
    edited April 2016

Plioser said: I need to keep NSone as primary server and answering the queries as a first option. I would like to use HE just as a DNS backup.

It doesn't work like that. There is a list of name servers for the domain and one of them will be chosen randomly and queried. If it doesn't work, another one will be chosen randomly and queried. There is no preferred / backup - all are equal and chosen randomly.

Thanked by 3Clouvider rm_ ucxo
  • PlioserPlioser Member
    edited April 2016

@rds100 said:

Plioser said: I need to keep NSone as primary server and answering the queries as a first option. I would like to use HE just as a DNS backup.

It doesn't work like that. There is a list of name servers for the domain and one of them will be chosen randomly and queried. If it doesn't work, another one will be chosen randomly and queried. There is no preferred / backup - all are equal and chosen randomly.

Hello rds100, thanks.

I thought that the queries go to the first server declared and, if there is no response, the query goes to the next server, in strict order.

• fxffxf Member
    edited April 2016

It's not the order of the results which determines which is primary, which is secondary, etc. What makes NSOne's nameservers primary is that they're the nameservers listed by the TLD registry's nameservers, or your registrar's nameservers. Using the command-line tool "dig" is really helpful for learning about how DNS really works and how the info is looked up. try dig +trace +recurse +all A myshitportfolio.website If you don't have access to a linux shell just read this webpage and pretend you used one https://www.madboa.com/geek/dig/

If you want HE.net to act as secondary DNS, you'll need add their nameservers as slave nameservers. What this does is allows you to only edit NSOne's nameservers, and HE.net will just copy all changes over to theres and mirror it.

Here's a guide for using HE.net as a slave with Rage4, I'm sure you can figure out the equivalent steps through NSOne's interface https://gbshouse.uservoice.com/knowledgebase/articles/175682-rage4-dns-using-dns-he-net-as-slave

Thanked by 1Plioser
  • @fxf said:
    It's not the order of the results which determines which is primary, which is secondary, etc. What makes NSOne's nameservers primary is that they're the nameservers listed by the TLD registry's nameservers, or your registrar's nameservers. Using the command-line tool "dig" is really helpful for learning about how DNS really works and how the info is looked up. try dig +trace +recurse +all A myshitportfolio.website If you don't have access to a linux shell just read this webpage and pretend you used one https://www.madboa.com/geek/dig/

If you want HE.net to act as secondary DNS, you'll need add their nameservers as slave nameservers. What this does is allows you to only edit NSOne's nameservers, and HE.net will just copy all changes over to theres and mirror it.

Here's a guide for using HE.net as a slave with Rage4, I'm sure you can figure out the equivalent steps through NSOne's interface https://gbshouse.uservoice.com/knowledgebase/articles/175682-rage4-dns-using-dns-he-net-as-slave

Hello fxf, thanks.

I've got the servers as slaves in HE and working properly. I accepted the AXFR queries coming from HE in NSone config and the changes in NSone are reflected in matter of minutes on HE. No problem with that.

The problem, it's that I would like to use HE just in case of problem with NSone servers and I thought that if I put the namerservers address in some order (NSone.1-NSone.2-NSone.3-NSone.4-HE.1-HE.2), the queries would go in that order. But not.

Thanks!!

• PlioserPlioser Member
    edited April 2016

@fxf said:
    It's not the order of the results which determines which is primary, which is secondary, etc. What makes NSOne's nameservers primary is that they're the nameservers listed by the TLD registry's nameservers, or your registrar's nameservers.

Really stupid question :-(

Have I to list the HE DNS servers address on my registrar?

Along with the NSone's?

Now, it's done this way.

• @Plioser said:

>

Along with the NSone's?

Yes. Otherwise they won't get queried if nsone go down.

Thanked by 1Plioser
  • @josephb said:

@Plioser said:

>

Along with the NSone's?

Yes. Otherwise they won't get queried if nsone go down.

Thanks josephb!!

• The nameserver list order is 100% irrelevant. Complete non-issue. You have no control over what resolvers query which of your nameservers in what order, none.

If you really only want one set of nameservers to be queried if and only if the others are down, don't delegate to them at all, only delegate to them if the first set of nameservers are down. easyDNS automates that http://proactivenameservers.com, or you can script it, provided your registrar allows nameserver delegations to be modified via API.

• @Plioser That's normal.