Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Microsoft Reminds Remaining OneDrive Users About Storage Changes
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Microsoft Reminds Remaining OneDrive Users About Storage Changes

Microsoft will reduce the storage from 15GB to 5GB on OneDrive

Comments

• K4Y5K4Y5 Member

Fuck Microshaft.

• K4Y5 said: Fuck Microshaft.

It's a free service.

• I was using Onedrive to sync all my private keys and documents. Naive of me maybe, but I have strong passwords all around. The Onedrive client was lighter than Dropbox.

Until I found out that files are stored unencrypted on their servers and they "may" check files for copyright infringement.

Switched to Mega. Its slower but at least I have peace of mind.

• smansman Member

So how do they expect to dominate the world with their bait and switch if Google Drive still offers 15GB free?

• GCatGCat Member

@mudeth said:
    I was using Onedrive to sync all my private keys and documents. Naive of me maybe, but I have strong passwords all around. The Onedrive client was lighter than Dropbox.

Until I found out that files are stored unencrypted on their servers and they "may" check files for copyright infringement.

"To sync all my private keys" - ok now I know who to never talk to.

"But I have strong passwords all around" - and Microsoft has a decryption key

"Switched to Mega" - controlled by the NZ government

"I have peace of mind" and probably never changed the private keys therefore rendering the change useless

• K4Y5K4Y5 Member

@Silvenga said:

K4Y5 said: Fuck Microshaft.

It's a free service.

Yeah, thanks for the insight.

• They sent an email early February stating the reason for decreasing OneDrive storage and asked If I want to keep the storage. I clicked the link and know I have 15 GB of space.

• @GCat said:

"To sync all my private keys" - ok now I know who to never talk to.

Or you could try and not be a drama queen.

"But I have strong passwords all around" - and Microsoft has a decryption key

To what? All blowfish-encrypted keys? I'm talking about passwords on private keys, not on my OneDrive account.

"Switched to Mega" - controlled by the NZ government

So? Mega still decrypts in-browser, so it is considerably safer than OneDrive, which is unencrypted, or Dropbox, which has admitted they will decrypt files to comply with government requests (suggesting that they can decrypt your files at all). What alternatives do you suggest? Self-host? Your provider can unmount the drive and copy files over. Sparkleshare? Doesn't look like there's an Android client.

"I have peace of mind" and probably never changed the private keys therefore rendering the change useless

Way to assume. I am paranoid af.

• K4Y5K4Y5 Member

@Trenta fuck off and drown yourself in that puddle of crap that you seem to be spamming the forum with.

Thank you.

Thanked by 1mudeth
  • @mudeth said:

From Kim Dotcom:

The 5th most wanted criminal in China is in control of Mega and he wants to float the business in HK? Good luck :) https://t.co/jaAAPuF4Ef

Moving my files out of MEGA tonight.

Thanked by 2mudeth GCat
  • @theroyalstudent
    Oh fudgesticks. Another 2 days resetting all my logins then. Where are you moving them to?

• @mudeth said:
    @theroyalstudent
    Oh fudgesticks. Another 2 days resetting all my logins then. Where are you moving them to?

Ah, might be moving them to a new Kimsufi that I just got yesterday, or just keeping everything at home for the time being, until I get a Raspberry Pi for cheap in my area, or maybe, just buy an USB OTG or use my HDD!

I use Dropbox for my 1Password vault, it's fine. I like it (but my Linux ISO collection is too large for that).

• GCatGCat Member

@mudeth @theroyalstudent use SpiderOak

Thanked by 1mudeth
  • NekkiNekki Veteran
    edited April 2016

This. It has clients for everything you can think of (even some versions of the Kindle Fire), and there was an awesome deal a while back for 30GB storage for $4/month.

• NeoonNeoon Community Contributor, Veteran

Well, for 30$ you get a 128GB USB 3.0 Stick, and people cry about Microsofts Cloud?
    Who is even using there shit?

You can easy get a Cheap Server with 50GB Storage on LEB Yearly or get a HDD/USB Stick.

• NekkiNekki Veteran

Neoon said: Who is even using there shit?

Me. It's excellent value, just not suitable for sensitive data.

• It was inevitable really, every Windows 10 PC has OneDrive by default, got to pay the bills somehow

• @Nekki said:

This. It has clients for everything you can think of (even some versions of the Kindle Fire), and there was an awesome deal a while back for 30GB storage for $4/month.

Looks very good, though I'll still end up trying hard to get free stuff.

Just decided to take down all my content from MEGA and store them on my HDD, might get a Raspberry Pi and another HDD soon to run a RAID array (or smth like that) from home. It's just Linux ISOs from many years back, and one important document that I use annually (not very sensitive though).

1Password has Dropbox support built in, but not stuff like Owncloud, so I'm sticking with Dropbox for now. Personally enjoy 1Password and not ready to make a change.

Anyone knows of anything more self hosted and more secure than OwnCloud, while having a proper Android app? Would like to store temporary files (like Droplr) on my own servers. Files usually for download without password, but at least a seriously secure and hard to find URL.

Got 8 NAT VPSes and half of them are just being used for ping and MTR tests cause I don't know what to install :/

• mudeth said: Switched to Mega. Its slower but at least I have peace of mind.

You might want to read: https://torrentfreak.com/kim-dotcom-warns-mega-users-to-backup-their-files-160421/

Thanked by 1mudeth
  • I got free 1TB on Onedrive lol for student email holders (from participating colleges) nothing has changed.. no need to pay a dime.

• raindog308raindog308 Administrator, Veteran

farsighter said: I got free 1TB on Onedrive lol for student email holders (from participating colleges) nothing has changed.. no need to pay a dime.

Dude, you pay taxes or tuition, your college pays Microsoft, and that will vanish as soon as your .edu does.

Thanked by 1netomx
  • farsighterfarsighter Member
    edited April 2016

@raindog308 said:

farsighter said: I got free 1TB on Onedrive lol for student email holders (from participating colleges) nothing has changed.. no need to pay a dime.

Dude, you pay taxes or tuition, your college pays Microsoft, and that will vanish as soon as your .edu does.

I'm not even a student. Got it somehow.

• I've used Dashlane for personal logins to a number of sites for a while. I sort of wish they'd offer some way to store keys though. You could technically store them in a Secure Note or something, but that's just lots of work.

Anywho, it's been a neat service so far - and has the advantage that the key to unlock the hash (the master pass) is never actually stored anywhere. I'm sure it's technically hackable somehow - but I'm not clever enough to see it.

• @MightWeb said:

Did you even read OP or whole thread? Its not about password managers.

• @TheKiller said:
    Did you even read OP or whole thread? Its not about password managers.

I did! In the event that my reply wasn't clear enough - I was of course responding to earlier talks about document/key storing. Hope that clears it up! :)

• Buy a vps from reputeable company then install Seafile with password.

Or can buy several usb flash disk, connect on pi with raid configuration.

• @theroyalstudent: Did some research, and found this - https://www.teamdrive.com/. End-to-end and at-rest encryption. Looks promising - not a fly-by-night operator, and you can even run their server on your own box. Free is only up to 10 GiB though (even if you self-run). Free storage on their cloud is 2 GiB.

Haven't signed up yet, but I thought it was worth sharing. I did know about SpiderOak, but for my purposes (syncing documents, receipts, etc it isn't worth paying for a service).