Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Low End CDN?
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Low End CDN?

zhuanyizhuanyi Member
edited February 2013 in General

With the recent offer from VPS.CO.ZA listed on LEB my idea of having a Low End CDN was rekindled...

http://www.lowendbox.com/blog/vps-co-za-a-lowendbox-in-south-africa/

I am just wondering if anyone would know a quick way to put up a CDN network for the LEB/LET community to use so that members in the community could register and then make use of the CDN to speed up their websites for free or at cost if I am willing to pay for some LEBs? I am not a good coder so unless someone would like to develop the project together with me, I don't think I will be able to code up the entire system myself.

Is it a lot of trouble? Am I just day-dreaming? :)

Comments

• AlexBarakovAlexBarakov Patron Provider, Veteran

I personally don't have free time for coding such projects lately, but this has passed my mind as well.

If you get to the point of needing LEB's for this, I will be glad to throw in LA, Seattle and NC for this project, for free of course.

Alex

• We're building a CDN.
    We're thinking free for our VPS clients and small charge for our non-clients.

Interested?

• @zhuanyi said: Is it a lot of trouble? Am I just day-dreaming? :)

Was coding a CDN Slave (some kind of caching webserver similar to varnish) in two evenings, it's able to push at least a full Gbps - so it's not that big issue...

• I am in the proccess of setting up a CDN, so far it has

Germany => Frankfurt
    UK => Berkshire
    USA > Phoenix

Inbox me

• @PhilND said: Interested?

Care to share your technology (unless it is something you built internally of course)?

@Amfy said: in two evenings

Good coder you are :)

• @zhuanyi said: Care to share your technology (unless it is something you built internally of course)?

It's being released properly ASAP. Just doing some internal usage testing right now. I think Ben is letting some potential users Alpha test it. Shoot him a PM.

What price range would you consider low-end?

• @PhilND said: What price range would you consider low-end?

Actually my idea is more like building the CDN completely on LEBs rather than paying "low end" price for regular CDN :)

• @zhuanyi The CDN is going to be built around LEB's just we are going to be charging a small fee to cover bandwidth costs. Performance will still be just as good though

• @BenND said: The CDN is going to be built around LEB's just we are going to be charging a small fee to cover bandwidth costs

Nice!

• I've actually considered setting up a CDN using a bunch of LEBs, I just haven't had the time to actually do it. I was planning to make it available either for free to LEB/LET users, or a small monthly fee (like $2 a month). The other idea that I had was that I could offer free service to anyone who donated a LEB to the cause (either a provider sponsoring it, or someone purchasing and then transferring the LEB to me). I have a domain that I think would be good for it (PM me for details?).

• stylexhosting is quite cheap, $0.06/GB flat rate.

• GlusterFS or lsyncd or something of the kind would let you keep the files across all VPSes.. you could also do something like a pull zone where you've got a PHP file or something that only pulls the file when it's requested, then saves it for future use.

• @ihatetonyy
    Personally I was going for a separate FTP server that rsyncs all new data across every minute