Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Power usage Redundant PSU vs single PSU
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Power usage Redundant PSU vs single PSU

arunarun Member

Maybe a stupid question, but do redundant power supplies use higher power than a single PSU. I am assuming there could be a
slight additional overhead. Could this be noticeable ?

Thanked by 1msg7086

Comments

• LiteServerLiteServer Member, Patron Provider

Depending on the hardware you're using that could be a couple watts.
    Problem with dual PSU is that each PSU does waste some energy based on the load / efficiency of the actual PSU. Modern PSU's (at least the ones we're using) are Platinum/Titanium certified, and should not waste too much energy on low/mid-loads.
    Each PSU will use some energy too operate (fan etc), but something to keep in mind is that power will be balanced between the PSU's. PSU's have usually less efficiency on low (<20%) loads, although most likely not something to worry about on such low loads ;-) Just keep that in mind with selecting dual PSU configurations - no need to get 2x 600W PSU's on hardware that would only consume 200W during peaks, better to get yourself a lower wattage PSU that will be loaded a bit more to get better efficiency.

Most servers with platinum rated PSU's we're running use approx. 7 to 10W additional power in dual configuration - in my opinion very acceptable for a high-end server.
    Don't have any readings on the servers with titanium rated PSU's yet, but i'm pretty sure the difference would be close to zero on equivalent hardware.
    On hardware from generations back the difference would of course be much bigger due the lower efficiency of PSU's back in the days.

If you like to know the exact number of watt's your server is pulling out the wall socket. Get yourself a watt/kwh meter - even the cheap ones are quite accurate, always fun to have ;-)

Thanked by 1arun