Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Upgrading to Ubuntu Xenial 16.04 LTS on OpenVZ RHEL 2.6.32 kernel VPS?
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Upgrading to Ubuntu Xenial 16.04 LTS on OpenVZ RHEL 2.6.32 kernel VPS?

LunicsLunics Member

Hi,

I tried to upgrade my VPSdime VPS from Ubuntu 14.04 to 16.04. There were no errors during the upgrade, only a warning about the 2.6.32 kernel being unsupported by libc6 (to be supported you need to run kernel 3.2 or newer).

After the reboot, however, the SSH server is not starting up. I do not have access to the console so I don't know what went wrong.

Has anyone gotten Ubuntu 16.04 to work with a OpenVZ VPS running the RHEL6 kernel?

Comments

• sinsin Member
    edited April 2016

Here's an article that may be of use? (It's 15.04 to 16.04 on OpenVZ) - https://it-offshore.co.uk/linux/ubuntu/67-upgrading-ubuntu-15-04-to-16-04-in-openvz

I don't have any current openvz plans at the moment to try the upgrade from 14.04 to 16.04 but I'll be purchasing an openvz vps tomorrow and will play around with it.

Thanked by 1Lunics
  • Awmusic12635Awmusic12635 Member, Host Rep
    edited April 2016

personally I do not recommend doing a full dist upgrade in openvz. It is better to reinstall to the newer version. You usually have less issues

• I've responded to your ticket with a resolution.

Thanked by 1Lunics
  • sinsin Member

@Awmusic12635 said:
    personally I do not recommend doing a full dist upgrade in openvz. It is better to reinstall to the newer version. You usually have less issues

There's no OpenVZ Ubuntu 16.04 templates though

Thanked by 1vimalware
  • angstromangstrom Moderator

sin said: There's no OpenVZ Ubuntu 16.04 templates though

The official OVZ templates for 16.04 will probably appear pretty quickly (given the popularity of Ubuntu), but I'm afraid not today or tomorrow or the day after tomorrow ...

Thanked by 1sin
  • LunicsLunics Member
    edited April 2016

@Damian said:
    I've responded to your ticket with a resolution.

Thanks Damian. The support I'm getting at VPSdime is stellar!

Thanked by 1vimalware
  • @Lunics How do you upgrade in a openvz? Everytime I tried to upgrade, it always fail in one way or another.

• I just did the usual "apt-get update; apt-get dist-upgrade" after changing the sources.list

• With systemd and new libc running on ancient kernel, you are pretty much on your own.

And TBH I'd be surprised if you didn't brick your system.

• EvolutionHostEvolutionHost Member, Host Rep

Is VNC provided with the VPS? If so, you should be able to mount the ISO/Img file and install upon boot.

• angstromangstrom Moderator

@Lunics said:
    I just did the usual "apt-get update; apt-get dist-upgrade" after changing the sources.list

In the case of OVZ, I would really wait until an official template for 16.04 is released and then do a clean install. (Yes, patience.) It would really surprise me if an upgrade with apt-get to a major version number succeeded without problems.

• sinsin Member

@Lunics I purchased an OpenVZ VPS from MikroVPS today and I upgraded to Ubuntu 16.04 with no problems.

I installed update-manager-core and then I did a do-release-upgrade and once the upgrade was finished I disabled systemd-bootchart and systemd-sysctl then rebooted and everything works.