Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

file Permission Problem
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

file Permission Problem

zong11zong11 Member

The uploaded file could not be moved to wp-content/uploads/

Please tell me how to change permission. Currently its showing 755 for both sp-content and uploads folder in kloxo panel...

Tell me what should i do??

Comments

• Most probably you need to change the ownership of the directory... Not the permissions...

chown -R www-data:www-data dir

• MadMad Member

There are multiple threads about it in WordPress forum. Below some of the replies:

"In the WordPress admin under settings > miscellaneous set the default upload folder to wp-content/uploads. Then make sure the uploads folder exists and set the file permissions on the folder to 777. This should allow WordPress to write images to the wp-content/uploads folder. If you still get the error delete the uploads folder and recreate it manually and reset the permissions to 777." - MWVD

https://wordpress.org/support/topic/uploaded-file-could-not-be-moved-to

• @noaman which command should i run to change only ownership of wp-content/uploads/ only

• Chown -R www-data:www-data /path-to/ wp-content/uploads/

• @robohost it showing command not found. So what should i do.. i have attached screenshot [ http://imgur.com/qbl8REO ]

• might be case sensitive. try chown instead of Chown

• vedranvedran Veteran

OMG stop copying random commands from the internet forum ...

• @rajprakash

yes exactly it worked and problem solved

• noamannoaman Member
    edited April 2016

@zong11....
    I solved...it the moment you posted it...just look at the jarland Digital ocean guide to set up wordpress on ubuntu VPS
    @andreamada
    Why 777?
    It is a security nightmare

• FalzoFalzo Member

@noaman said:
    Why 777?

because people simply don't get the gist of linux permissions. and probably don't even want to.

btw: chown to www-data probably isn't the best solution either, at least it doesn't make much sense to always change owner and group to that, don't you think so?

Thanked by 1Ole_Juul
  • For Kloxo/Kloxo-MR, try 'sh /script/fix-chownchmod'.

• zong11 said: it worked and problem solved

Now what you need to determine is if you created any security hole by doing that. ;)

Thanked by 1grimsdottir
  • @Ole_Juul said:

zong11 said: it worked and problem solved

Now what you need to determine is if you created any security hole by doing that. ;)

Just do a good'ol chmod 777 and call it a day!

Thanked by 1Ole_Juul
  • @mustafaramadhan Done everything using 'sh /script/fix-chownchmod' cmd... kloxo best