Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

CentOS 7 vs CentOS 6 performance (cPanel)
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

CentOS 7 vs CentOS 6 performance (cPanel)

UmairUmair Member
edited April 2016 in General

Hello,

Just a question I been considering to ask for a while.
What are you guys using for your new cPanel based servers? CeontOS 6.x or CentOS 7.x?

Also if you keep everything else the same (server setup. tweaks etc) is there any noticeable performance difference between OS??

(Purely asking for cPanel's point of view. Not custom setups.
Also if you have used, comment/compare CloudLinux 6.x vs CloudLinux 7.x)

Thanks

Poll not found

Comments

• jarjar Patron Provider, Top Host, Veteran

Ask me this question instead:

Did you experience more oddities and open far more tickets with cPanel under CentOS 6 or 7?

The answer to that question is 7. It's hard for me to say that it was actually related to that with any certainty, but the experience did send me back to CentOS 6.

Thanked by 3Umair VyprNetworks Kris
    • MikeAMikeA Member, Patron Provider

I've always used 6 for cPanel and never had an issue, never had a reason to switch to 7. The "performance" will simply matter with what software you've compiled with it.

• in my limited experience my centos 6 servers perform better than my centos 7 cpanel servers.

• Go for CentOS 7 if all your software requirements are met with

• leapswitchleapswitch Patron Provider, Veteran

Cloudlinux 7 seems to be still having issues. We switched some customers back to Cloudlinux 6.

Thanked by 1Umair
    • raindog308raindog308 Administrator, Veteran

But with systemd, CentOS 7 boots faster!

Yeah.

• raindog308 said: But with systemd, CentOS 7 boots faster!

So after each 300 days uptime I can experience a faster reboot. Hell yeah~

Thanked by 3sayem314 Plioser Aidan
    • khuongcomputer said: So after each 300 days uptime I can experience a faster reboot.

No, fsck still takes as long as it takes

• MicrolinuxMicrolinux Member
      edited April 2016

@raindog308 said:

Instant gratification is important! Even more important than not forcing backwards-incompatible fork-lifting of critical infrastructure! Who has an extra 20 seconds every few months? I mean come on - I gotta catch an Uber to my kickball game!

Thanked by 1raindog308
    • UmairUmair Member

@leapswitch said:
      Cloudlinux 7 seems to be still having issues. We switched some customers back to Cloudlinux 6.

Any particular issue you can share ??
      I will most likely be using CloudLinux for this new server ... (still deciding between v7 or v6)

@raindog308 said:

Yeah.

I can live without the "fast boot". Need to know if it will perform any better when cPanel is running with same settings.

• Umair said: Need to know if it will perform any better when cPanel is running with same settings.

I can't prove it is better or worse. But if you are doing a new build, I now choose 7 to keep it semi future proof. Only issue I have had with Cloudlinux 7 is db_governor sucks balls. Had a server that would randomly delete /var/lib/mysql/mysql.sock, and after 2 weeks of CL support putting their Olympic talents of ticket avoidance in full force, I removed db_governor and no issues with that install since.

Thanked by 1Francisco
    • CentOS 7 runs a newer kernel, which is proven to be faster. CentOS 7 was only marked an official operating system for cPanel a few major versions ago, so things are still being worked on in that regard. Going CentOS 7 will keep you future-proof, and new features will be added to CentOS 7 before 6.

• sinsin Member

Unless there's a specific reason for you to go with CentOS 6, I would choose CentOS 7 for any new server.

• for a production i choosing a stable version which is CentOS 6 but for the best performance sure it the newer version but i didnt use it yet

• leapswitchleapswitch Patron Provider, Veteran

@Umair said:

@leapswitch said:

Any particular issue you can share ??

Random reboots, cagefs related issues, kernel issues. These seem to be resolved but we wouldn't setup a new CloudLinux 7 server till atleast 6 months from now.

Thanked by 1Umair
    • NavynNavyn Member
      edited April 2016

Have not tried CentOS 7 For production purpose yet.

• KrisKris Member

There's good reason cPanel went from trying to support many OS -> one.

With systemd in the mix, cPanel + CloudLinux and CentOS 7 has been too variable for me as @leapswitch mentioned.

Issues such as runaway chkservd or other processes emailing left, right, and center until manually restarted. Just was not ready. Had to ditch CentOS 7 for 2 clients so far.

cPanel will mature, but if you're using it I wouldn't readily use CentOS 7 for another 6-12 months.

Thanked by 1Umair
    • dedicadosdedicados Member
      edited April 2016

go for Centos 6 latest.

cPanel has just added support for Centos 7, because 2 months ago i didn't see it.

https://documentation.cpanel.net/display/ALD/Installation+Guide+-+System+Requirements#InstallationGuide-SystemRequirements-Operatingsystems

• KrisKris Member

dedicados said: cPanel has just added support for 7, 2 months ago i didn't see it.

I've been following edge-users and the development.

I'd give it 6-12 months if you're putting anything prod + cPanel on CentOS 7. YMMV.

• UmairUmair Member

Anymore views on this??

Interestingly I asked the same question to CloudLinux guys and they recommended CL6 for being more "stable" at this time.

Didn't say anything about performance difference (if there is any).

• KrisKris Member

CL6. If you want to baby your server at night as it spits out chkservd error sporadically for no reason, hop on CentOS 7 and cPanel.

Again, good reason they only support one OS now instead of numerous as they tried in the past. From testing 1 server with CentOS 7 and 20 domains, I am not going back on for at least a year due to the sporadic errors and runaway processes, or manually having to restart services.

Thanked by 1Umair
    • CentOS 6.7 + latest kernel-ml 4.5.2 is rock stable ;)

• Switched from Plesk to cPanel on Tuesday with CloudLinux 7.2 So far rocks :)

• I continue to work on Centos 6.6 Final and the reasons to go to 7 do not see.

• MikePTMikePT Moderator, Patron Provider, Veteran

@GalaxyHostPlus said:
      Switched from Plesk to cPanel on Tuesday with CloudLinux 7.2 So far rocks :)

Everything is better than Plesk.

• @MrGeneral said:

@GalaxyHostPlus said:
      Switched from Plesk to cPanel on Tuesday with CloudLinux 7.2 So far rocks :)

Everything is better than Plesk.

Correct.

I found
      Plesk is like Virtualizor Bugs after Bugs...

cPanel like SolusVM Just Works :)

• As CentOS 7 is the newest platform, users will be able to utilize a more impenetrable firewall and anti-Spam program