Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

KiloServe Down ?
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

KiloServe Down ?

muzumbumuzumbu Member
edited February 2013 in General

Anyone have a clue what's up with KiloServe ? My VPS is down, their main website is down. Looks like a black out.

Anyone managed to contact the owner ?

Comments

• :( bollocks. It was up 2 days ago.

• NateN34NateN34 Member
    edited February 2013

This was inevitable. They abandoned shipped about 6 months ago.

Doubt they are coming back.

• I think the reason why there are so many threads open on the demise of Kiloserve was really because, at least at one point, they were providing really good services.

I think Kiloserve was one of the very few providers which LEA has advertised even though they had Private Whois protection on the domain, and the exception was made on the good reputation that they have enjoyed. However in the end, when they went down, nobody was held accountable to the situation.

As such, I really think we should use this opportunity to see if LET/LEB should re-enforce the rule that no provider advertised here should have the domain protected by private whois. Thoughts/comments?

• @zhuanyi said: As such, I really think we should use this opportunity to see if LET/LEB should re-enforce the rule that no provider advertised here should have the domain protected by private whois. Thoughts/comments?

Private whois is allowed if the provider is over a year old

• @zhuanyi said: As such, I really think we should use this opportunity to see if LET/LEB should re-enforce the rule that no provider advertised here should have the domain protected by private whois. Thoughts/comments?

+1 for that. If the provider has something to hide, not sure why anyone would use them.

• @murky said: Private whois is allowed if the provider is over a year old

His point was that we should extend the rule to any provider, regardless of age.

• @murky said: Private whois is allowed if the provider is over a year old

Indeed, I think no exception should be allowed. Granted that providers who have been around for a long time are less likely to disappear, but that does not mean when they do disappear, someone is going to be held accountable if their domain is hidden behind private whois.

• I think people should be able to decide themselves if they want to trust a provider or not. Personally i would never ever touch a provider with whois protection but others might like to gamble.

• jon617jon617 Veteran
    edited February 2013

I personally would never fully trust any service provider with my most important stuff if they made any effort to hide their identity, unless they had some very special case reason. We're not talking about bloggers or group therapy, these are service providers who should want you to contact them so they can sell you more services! I understand why it's important to keep customers of low-end boxes away from knowing your cell phone number and home address, and maybe some are just moonlighting from their day jobs and don't want their bosses to know, but why hide your contact info in whois if you are serious about conducting business? This is just my opinion, feel free to disagree, that's a topic for another thread.

I was a customer of Kiloserve, liked the service, but because their whois was private, I had zero personal contact with anyone, no Facebook page to Like, and no updates on Twitter. I opened a ticket just to say hello and ask what it would cost to upgrade if my needs grow? No response. So I bailed because of trust concerns. Good timing.

Please, everyone, make backups right now and often. Good company or not is irrelevant because anything can happen.

• raindog308raindog308 Administrator, Veteran

Really, what do you get with a provider's non-private whois?

Provider could put any address in the world there. Even if he uses his real address, are you expecting to google street view it and see a gleaming high-tech apple-campus type datacenter? Most of the time, I'd wager it's a picture of a typical house, apartment, or UPS store...

• jon617jon617 Veteran
    edited February 2013

With a business name and address I can do a corporation search to see if you are a registered business, and therefore, know you got mail at that location and are at least legal to operate, and are both protected and liable for your actions under your locality's business laws. I don't want to knock on your door or send you Valentine's Day cupcakes, I just want to know if you seem real vs fly-by-night, or can at least communicate well and satisfy any concerns that come up.

• You can map us and find a 31 story office tower in which we occupy 1 and a 1/2 floors. :)