Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Looking for a cheap but reliable Canadian VPS
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Looking for a cheap but reliable Canadian VPS

MistravalMistraval Member
edited April 2016 in Requests

I love Ramnode and I currently have 5 different VPS with them, however I required a Canadian VPS which is not a location Ramnode offers.

I'm looking for a VPS along the lines of Ramnode's cheapest offer: 128MB/64MB vswap, 12GB SSD, 500GB BW @ $15/yr.

The other thing I should mention is I need a vzdump (from a server I have at Ramnode) restored to this VPS. Suggestions?

Comments

• gestiondbigestiondbi Member, Patron Provider

What about DeepNet Solutions new VPS offers?

View at: https://www.deepnetsolutions.com/openvz-vps.html

For the dump, simply open a ticket with our technical team.

Regards, David

• @davidgestiondbi said:

Regards, David

I was about to purchase a VPS there, until your checkout forced me to check a box that says I won't be using the VPS for production use.

I still might consider it, but that checkbox doesn't inspire a whole lot of confidence.

• Been with Gestion DBI for 1m+, great network and pretty stable.

Thanked by 1gestiondbi

@Mistraval said:

@davidgestiondbi said:

Regards, David

I was about to purchase a VPS there, until your checkout forced me to check a box that says I won't be using the VPS for production use.

I still might consider it, but that checkbox doesn't inspire a whole lot of confidence.

At least, we are honest. We do not let people imagine a $13/year VPS is intend for production or enterprise use.

However, they are reliable as hell for most project that require 99.95+ uptime! ;)

• @davidgestiondbi said:

@Mistraval said:

@davidgestiondbi said:

Regards, David

At least, we are honest. We do not let people imagine a $13/year VPS is intend for production or enterprise use.

However, they are reliable as hell for most project that require 99.95+ uptime! ;)

Fair enough. However I've been using three of Ramnode's 15/year VPS for production use for well over 2 years and it's been spectacular, not a single outage.

I suppose I'll give it a go. I'll be submitting a ticket for the vzdump in a few minutes.

• @davidgestiondbi archive's uploaded, ticket submitted. Thanks.

Thanked by 1gestiondbi
  • RizRiz Member
    Thanked by 1MCHPhil
  • Mycustomhosting(I think that's what it's called) is pretty good. I tried them a year ago, really solid and fast.

Thanked by 1MCHPhil
  • Standard LET report on Gestion DBI CVZ-256 plan in BHS, still in burn-in process.

If Nagios didn't report anything on it in the next 2 weeks, I will just let my current OVH VPS SSD expired and migrate some stuffs over.

System Info
    -----------
    Processor   : Intel(R) Xeon(R) CPU E5-1620 v2 @ 3.70GHz
    CPU Cores   : 1
    Frequency   : 1850.086 MHz
    Memory      : 256 MB
    Swap        :  MB
    Uptime      : 25 days, 21:35,

OS      : \S
    Arch        : x86_64 (64 Bit)
    Kernel      : 2.6.32-042stab108.5
    Hostname    : 

Speedtest (IPv4 only)
    ---------------------
    Your public IPv4 is

Location        Provider    Speed
    CDN         Cachefly    72.9MB/s

Atlanta, GA, US     Coloat      38.9MB/s 
    Dallas, TX, US      Softlayer   48.3MB/s 
    Seattle, WA, US     Softlayer   27.3MB/s 
    San Jose, CA, US    Softlayer   30.2MB/s 
    Washington, DC, US  Softlayer   54.0MB/s 

Tokyo, Japan        Linode      428KB/s 
    Singapore       Softlayer   8.62MB/s 

Rotterdam, Netherlands  id3.net     12.9MB/s
    Haarlem, Netherlands    Leaseweb    65.9MB/s 

Disk Speed
    ----------
    I/O (1st run)   : 151 MB/s
    I/O (2nd run)   : 580 MB/s
    I/O (3rd run)   : 587 MB/s
    Average I/O : 439.333 MB/s

Thanked by 1gestiondbi
  • Alright so turns out the IP I got from @davidgestiondbi is not even Canadian. Some WHOIS requests show the IP in Montreal, but the majority of them (including the ones I need) show the IP 158.69.149.36 as located in Pasadena, California 91124.

Still looking.

• @Mistraval said:
    Alright so turns out the IP I got from @davidgestiondbi is not even Canadian. Some WHOIS requests show the IP in Montreal, but the majority of them (including the ones I need) show the IP 158.69.149.36 as located in Pasadena, California 91124.

Still looking.

Ask him for another one? I'm sure he will get this sorted out for you :)

@FredQc IP is showing MTL in Maxmind, IP2location and GeoIP. Can't be lead responsible for other company DB.

@op Also, please do not list IP in plain text on forum.

Regards, David

• NyrNyr Community Contributor, Veteran

stormeye said: Mycustomhosting(I think that's what it's called) is pretty good. I tried them a year ago, really solid and fast.

They aren't even using redundant storage nor have backups, so not exactly production ready...

davidgestiondbi said: Also, please do not list IP in plain text on forum.

Uh? Can't your customer list their server's IP address wherever they want?

davidgestiondbi said: IP is showing MTL in Maxmind, IP2location and GeoIP. Can't be lead responsible for other company DB.

Obviously not your fail, but seems like MaxMind updated this information very recently. MaxMind GeoLiteCity is still showing as US, not CA.

• @Mistraval you could have mentioned that the status of IP databases is important for you, because clearly that server is located in Canada and the benchmark looks amazing for that kind of money. At that price tag, it will be hard to find alternatives. I'd stay there and just wait till IP DBs update.

Thanked by 1gestiondbi
  • @chrisp said:
    @Mistraval you could have mentioned that the status of IP databases is important for you, because clearly that server is located in Canada and the benchmark looks amazing for that kind of money. At that price tag, it will be hard to find alternatives. I'd stay there and just wait till IP DBs update.

Unfortunately I don't have time to sit and wait. And I already found an alternative with extravm.com which so far is working excellent.

Thanked by 1MikeA
  • Ovh bhs?

• HaBangNetHaBangNet Member, Host Rep

you can get directly with OVH, they have Canadian VPS

• @HaBangNet said:

Starts at $3.49/mo though, a little rich for my blood on this project.

• HaBangNetHaBangNet Member, Host Rep
    edited May 2016

@Mistraval said:

@HaBangNet said:

Starts at $3.49/mo though, a little rich for my blood on this project.

You can get from people who reselling from OVH will be cheaper.

• GCatGCat Member

You could buy from for example Grantie Networks (aka Rogers now iirc), not sure they'll be cheap anymore but you'll have a Canadian IP