Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Additional IP not on the same IP block as gateway
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Additional IP not on the same IP block as gateway

dnwkdnwk Member
edited February 2013 in Help

Additional IPs I got from OVH is different from IP block that my main IP is on. And this is what they want me to configure the additional IP per their help ticket.

/etc/network/interfaces
auto lo eth0
iface lo inet loopback
iface eth0 inet static
address IP.Fail.over
netmask 255.255.255.255
broadcast IP.Fail.over
post-up route add Your.Server.IP.254 dev eth0
post-up route add default gw Your.Server.IP.254
post-down route del Your.Server.IP.254 dev eth0
post-down route del default gw Your.Server.IP.254

I was wondering how could I configure that when I am running a KVM and a ISO net install for Ubuntu. They won't allow me to go forward the installation as they said gateway is not reachable and I have no way to set the "post-up" route add.

Thanks

Comments

• You only need one IP to install with. Set up the main IP for installing, then once Ubuntu is installed, change /etc/network/interfaces to add the additional IPs.

• @Damian said: You only need one IP to install with. Set up the main IP for installing, then once Ubuntu is installed, change /etc/network/interfaces to add the additional IPs.

I can't. I vnc to the host server to do all the operation. If I disconnect host machine's network. It will be totally disconnected and I have no way to control things.

• What's preventing you from performing these actions via VNC to get them set up?

I think i'm missing something here.

• Dont OVH route to the host IP and you have to generate and assign a MAC to the new card ?

• HoloshedHoloshed Member
    edited February 2013

I googled OVH Failover IP and this page with instructions came up: http://help.ovh.com/IpAlias

In other words these are always meant as "additional" ip addresses, not your servers main ip. You add it as a second virtual interface using the info they provide.

• @YKM said: MAC to the new card ?

Yes. When I create the VM, I can put in a MAC address

• @Holoshed said: In other words these are always meant as "additional" ip addresses, not your servers main ip. You add it as a second virtual interface using the info they provide.

Yes. I know. After install, I can successfully configure. My Question is how to configure it during installation wizard(TUI) Interface.

• @dnwk said: @YKM said: MAC to the new card ?

Yes. When I create the VM, I can put in a MAC address

Generate the MAC in the control panel and get its assigned IP, lets say this is 10.10.10.10

On your VM use these settings:

IP = 10.10.10.10
    Netmask = 255.255.255.0
    Gateway = Virtual server gateway but end it in .254, so if your physical server is 9.9.9.1
    use 9.9.9.254 as the gateway for this VM.

HTH

• Forgot to mention that you must assign the MAC to the interface in the control panel etc.

• HoloshedHoloshed Member
    edited February 2013

@dnwk First off you cannot setup a "net install" with this method on OVH since they are not setup for that, as failovers they are routed to your box's IP and have to be setup in a special way, its one of the pains in the butt with OVH.

To configure it you have to have another way to enter the instance to set it up, like for proxmox use the console, for esxi you use the vsphere app. You have to get PAST the install then go into the already running machine and configure it because you cant during the install sadly (not that I found after multiple tries).

Then after install and its running, use the info here:
    First make sure you have the virtual mac enabled for the ip: http://help.ovh.co.uk/DedieMac
    Then assuming you have your "host" machine configured correctly, enter the instance via some console and use this: http://help.ovh.co.uk/BridgeClient

I read back to the top post and you say you are using KVM, does that mean proxmox as the host or literally just running KVM on a bare box? I am going to assume proxmox and as such there are so many places out there with info on it, even OVH's own site as I have put above.

If you need specific help such telling me exactly the host os you are using, then I can help you further as I did use my (now gone) beta machine from OVH as a proxmox host that I used to emulate windows and linux, both working very well.

• Ok. I have figure out a solution. IP: fail over ip Netmastk 255.255.255.255 Gateway: fail over ip

Yes, I am using Proxmox