Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Looking for free shared hosting (need to host an app) - Page 2
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Looking for free shared hosting (need to host an app)

2»

Comments

• @KuJoe Just use WHMCS with one of your already registered domains licensed with WHMCS.

• @driverdotim Every month? A bit over exaggerating there, aren't we?

• KuJoeKuJoe Member, Host Rep

@Jeffrey said: @KuJoe Just use WHMCS with one of your already registered domains licensed with WHMCS.

Nah, this project will be completely separate from SD.

• raindog308raindog308 Administrator, Veteran

I really carefully looked at free hosting - actually even had a long talk with @KuJoe - about two years ago. I could never make the financials work. But then I always take very conservative financial projections. A lot of the old moneymakers (cc.co referrals, etc.) have gone by the wayside.

KuJoe knows way more about hosting than I do, so if anyone is going to run a great free host, it'll be him.

I think it could be fun to do - and really, what do you need? A VPS, a client management app like WHMCS, and some kind of panel, which could be free.

• check out appfog, i'm not sure if they still have a free tier for hosted apps

• As @fly mentioned, AppFog is a good one (2gb free mem tier) as well as Heroku. You could also try Engine Yard (500 free computing hours). The drawbacks on these is the bw cap is usually pretty low.

• KuJoeKuJoe Member, Host Rep

My goal is to do it as a hobby, not trying to make money off it. Not even going to advertise it or anything, just for LET and some other forums I'm on. I'm debating on whether or not to use our cPanel server or setup a VPS with a free or custom panel. I think I'm going to use my MyBB plugin I wrote and develop that more. Grabbed some random 3 character domains to use also.

• mikhomikho Member, Host Rep

@KuJoe said: Free is better.

ISPConfig ? :p

• If Paid CP:- DirectAdmin.
    If free:- zPanel, Kloxo, etc.

• Hmm, I'd be willing to give you a free DA Account, I will log on my lappy and get it setup in the next couple hours.

Free for everyone, you're welcome!

• @KuJoe Staff Member?, (If you will be having a forum) I would like to be one.

@jacob! nice one.

Regards.

• Cant believe people are fighting to provide a free product, you guys are too nice!

• https://billing.raxweb.com/index.php?/signup/ open a sales ticket and you shall receive.

• Good luck @KuJoe ! I will eagerly anticipate your offerings :)

• InfinityInfinity Member, Host Rep

@Jacob said: Hmm, I'd be willing to give you a free DA Account, I will log on my lappy and get it setup in the next couple hours.

Location? I've also got some DA accounts for those that actually have a good use of it in PA, USA.

• JacobJacob Member
    edited February 2013

Kansas City for now, I have been meaning to get something setup for a while now, we did offer MySQL / Offloaded small storage on cPanel a while back but didn't continue it after about 3 months, not because of the lack of interest but the time involved in guiding people, etc..

Working on it now, so just give me a few.

@Infinity said: Location? I've also got some DA accounts for those that actually have a good use of it in PA, USA.

• You know, it is nice to see so many people offering stuff for free to those who need it. It was because of this post I looked into something I got but forgot about.

A while back on slickdeals I found a deal for ipage.com where you got a year for 1.00. Why I got it I never know but I have the account good till September with no real use. They want to rebill you at 70.00 so I set it to not auto renew.

Thanks for the reminder, Internet!