Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

PPP not working?
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

PPP not working?

shovenoseshovenose Member, Host Rep
edited February 2013 in General

Kind of a stupid question (potentially) or I'm just missing something obvious, but when I click the PPP button in SolusVM for a customer's VPS it doesn't seem to be working?
Is there any other configuration required?
Thanks

Comments

• Lol. Another shit provider who don't know what they are doing.
    http://openvz.org/PPP_in_container

• shovenoseshovenose Member, Host Rep

Thank you. I will see if the problem persists.

• MaouniqueMaounique Host Rep, Veteran

It isnt instant. The faster you click it, the more sure will be that it gets screwed.
    You should install the module in the HW node first.
    Make sure it is: http://openvz.org/PPP_in_container

edited February 2013

login as: root

[email protected]'s password:
    Welcome to Ubuntu 12.04.1 LTS (GNU/Linux 2.6.32-042stab068.8 x86_64)

Documentation: https://help.ubuntu.com/

Last login: Mon Feb 18 05:56:57 2013 from XXX.XXX.XXX.XXX
    root@XXXX:~# cat /dev/ppp
    cat: /dev/ppp: No such file or directory
    root@XXXX:~#

Please help? @Maounique

• Follow the guide its very easy

http://openvz.org/PPP_in_container

• Make sure the ppp modules are loaded in the host node.

• laaevlaaev Member
    edited February 2013

I wonder how your clients feel about you lacking the appropriate amount of technical knowledge and then not having support staff to step in and help, therefore relying on 3rd party forums for providing assistance and support for your customers.

In any case, you need to run the following on the host node:

modprobe ppp_async
    modprobe ppp_deflate
    modprobe ppp_mppe

@CVPS_Kevin I followed the guide, and I ran those commands, however it's still not showing within the VPS.

• Then PPP is not installed on the VPS.

• MaouniqueMaounique Host Rep, Veteran

If you install it via solus (enable module since is installed on HN), you need to disable it then enable again.
    Solus is very poor in giving the error messages.
    You need to wait at least 1 minute (depending how fast your node is, can be 5) before each operation.

Oh. Perhaps that could be an issue.

• JacobJacob Member
    edited February 2013

Jeesh... I'm not even going to... facepalms

• What CVPS_Kevin said.

You either need to mknod the device yourself, or have something do it for you.

I think you really are in the wrong business, sorry. Learning some Linux/Unix first would go a long, long way.

• Seriously!

Looking through your threads i wouldn't touch your service, you clearly have no idea what your doing unless it involves clicking a button in SolusVM.

• JacobJacob Member
    edited February 2013

If only solusvm could make my breakfast.

Fried bread, bacon, beans and tomatoes, I'll rumage the shelves and see what else I can throw in.

Edit: Eggs, Scrambled eggs or not?

• @Jacob said: Edit: Eggs, Scrambled eggs or not?

Scrambled, done properly in the frying pan, oh yes :P

• PPP loaded on host node?

• Any other 'learning as they go' or 'cant google/man plz spoon feed me' hosts I should know about?

• @kro said: Any other 'learning as they go' or 'cant google/man plz spoon feed me' hosts I should know about?

PremiumVM, wait no..

• How else should he learn it, if not this way?

TBH, I wouldn't have asked here, but somewhere else.

• Ash_HawkridgeAsh_Hawkridge Member
    edited February 2013

@Shigawire said: How else should he learn it, if not this way?

Ideally, you learn before you start offering the service. I wouldn't perform open heart surgery without going to medical school first.

• 5n1p5n1p Member
    edited February 2013

@GetKVM_Ash said: Ideally, you learn before you start offering the service. I wouldn't perform open heart surgery without going to medical school first.

You think they learn that in school? :P
    I would rather go to someone that did that before then to someone that learned that in school.

@Shigawire said: TBH, I wouldn't have asked here, but somewhere else.

This.

• They may not learn it practically there, but theoretically yes they do. Would you let a mechanic with no prior experience perform the MOT for your car, i doubt it.

IMHO This industry is the only industry that people seem to think they can just walk into with absolutely no experience of what they are doing. Hence the amount of people that get ripped off eventually.

• 5n1p5n1p Member
    edited February 2013

@GetKVM_Ash said: IMHO This industry is the only industry that people seem to think they can just walk into with absolutely no experience of what they are doing.

I agree with this, but like you say learning something in school wont get you "experience". There are some kids not even finished school know more then some hosts.

P.S. I would't give my car to mechanic with no prior experience regardless on what has he learned theoretically.

• @Shigawire said: How else should he learn it, if not this way?

By being an intern somewhere where they have people who can fix it if he messes things up. This is not the correct way to be learning, be it Medical resources, or technical ones.

• @GetKVM_Ash
    Heres the outcome:

• Heres the outcome:

You post that just i have had a look in the cupboards for something to eat, now im going to have to go to the shop!

Looks nice though!

• @Jacob Where is your name with the date on a piece of paper? That could just be anyone's breakfast!

• @Taylor Just look at the egg, It's not exactly perfection. :P

• @Jacob

Is that fried bread?