Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Best Way To Handle Ripped Website?
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Best Way To Handle Ripped Website?

Hi Everyone,

Looking for some advice. As some of you may know, Onra Host has a new website. (see https://www.onrahost.com/ I spent about 4 months personally designing it. It's based off of Bootstrap with FlatUI.

A customer informed me that it was ripped by another company. Website is http://trentnode.com/ - tell me that doesn't look at least a little familiar! (Also, I'm going to assume they don't have a license for that stock photo, yet I do). I took a look at their Facebook (link on their website) - look at that, the same stock photo, again (and somehow 2500 followers?) Seems to be a parent company- "Node Limited UK". If you need any more proof that it was stolen, view the source of the page, and search "onra" - 12 results. Then, open the custom.min css file- 68 more results.

I submitted an abuse report to OVH (IP 188.165.29.118 shows to be owned by OVH, Paris DC). However, I know OVH can be a little slow. What's the best way to deal with this? Whoisguard is enabled, FYI.

Comments

• dailydaily Member

Have you called the # on their page? I'd let them know you know.

• IshaqIshaq Member

Spook them.

(+44) 0115-888-1282

• Will ovh not do anything?

Thanked by 1OnraHost_Zack
  • You can't copyright a website, they haven't done anything illegal unless they've ripped your copyrighted text/images. Design by its own, does not fall under copyright.

• @dailymc said:
    Have you called the # on their page? I'd let them know you know.

@Ishaq said:
    Spook them.
    (+44) 0115-888-1282

I'll give them a call in the morning - it's about 9PM over there

@DapKiln said:
    Will ovh not do anything?

We'll see- might take a while.

@deadbeef said:
    You can't copyright a website, they haven't done anything illegal unless they've ripped your copyrighted text/images. Design by its own, does not fall under copyright.

Even so, the images are copyrighted. Worst case scenario, I'll have Shutterstock deal with them. Still, not very cool of them to do that. Incredibly unprofessional.

Also, nice username.

Thanked by 1deadbeef
  • Oh @OnraHost_Zack , it is a real ripoff even the name is not changed
    "img/onrahost_scaled.png"
    Hope you will be able to bring it down soon.. best luck

• @praveen said:
    Oh OnraHost_Zack , it is a real ripoff even the name is not changed
    "img/onrahost_scaled.png"
    Hope you will be able to bring it down soon.. best luck

I know! Absolutely incredible. Couldn't even take the time to do a simple find\replace to swap out the word Onra.

Also, they left my Google Analytics code in, so my reports are going to be skewed. Blah.

• @OnraHost_Zack - PM'd you. Done a bit of digging for you! :)

Thanked by 1netomx
  • A letter to namecheap should be enough.

Thanked by 1VyprNetworks
  • @tr1cky said:
    A letter to namecheap should be enough.

Namecheap doesn't host the illegal content, they just provide the domain name.

• WHTWHT Member

Ovh wont answer such emails

• MissFortuneMissFortune Member
    edited April 2016

Goes to show how good looking/professionally designed your site is that someone would rip it.

• @deadbeef said:
    You can't copyright a website, they haven't done anything illegal unless they've ripped your copyrighted text/images. Design by its own, does not fall under copyright.

You can actually. Just like any artwork. It's too much of a hassle most of the time but you can protect it. Not worth the money / paperwork / time for a basic bootstrap based site though.

• deadbeefdeadbeef Member
    edited April 2016

@Saragoldfarb said:
    You can actually. Just like any artwork. It's too much of a hassle most of the time but you can protect it. Not worth the money / paperwork / time for a basic bootstrap based site though.

Well, that's not what I read when trawling through copyright.gov and certainly not what quotes from actual IP lawyers found on the net say. So, do the honours and quote me the law.

• @deadbeef said:
    Well, that's not what I read when trawling through copyright.gov and certainly not what quotes from actual IP lawyers found on the net say. So, do the honours and quote me the law.

Needles to say I'm not a law expert but I recall reading an article about the matter. It was about how you can copyright the usage/combination of design elements your 'template' consists of. Never cared to bookmark it but may I stumble upon it again I will quote you the law ;).

• @david_reid said:
    OnraHost_Zack - PM'd you. Done a bit of digging for you! :)

David- thank you SO MUCH! The information you provided will help!

@tr1cky said:
    A letter to namecheap should be enough.

It might to be honest. They might be able to take down the domain. Might have to go straight to Enom- we'll see.

@WHT said:
    Ovh wont answer such emails

Of course not they're OVH.

@MissFortune said:
    Goes to show how good looking/professionally designed your site is that someone would rip it.

Thank you! Yeah I agree. When I saw it I was FURIOUS thinking about all the time and energy I put into building it. Then I was flattered. And then of course back to angry.

@ProxyPal said:
    Hey Zack,

I'm not entirely sure if this will work but possibly, file a complaint through googles web master tool for a DMCA Complaint (https://accounts.google.com/ServiceLogin?service=sitemaps&passive=1209600&continue=https://www.google.com/webmasters/tools/home?hl=en&followup=https://www.google.com/webmasters/tools/home?hl=en&hl=en)

Let me know if this by any means helps you.

Cheers
    Peter

Thanks Peter! I'll be putting in a DMCA for sure.

@Saragoldfarb said:
    Needles to say I'm not a law expert but I recall reading an article about the matter. It was about how you can copyright the usage/combination of design elements your 'template' consists of. Never cared to bookmark it but may I stumble upon it again I will quote you the law ;).

I believe this is true. One of my biggest clients is a Patent\Trademark attorney, and ironically I have an unrelated meeting with him tomorrow. I'll get you guys an answer on this tomorrow afternoon!

Thanks all for your help! I'll keep you posted.

Thanked by 1deadbeef
  • MadMad Member
    edited April 2016

@OnraHost_Zack said:
    Of course not they're OVH.

It's useless to report the IP to OVH, they cannot do anything obviously unless they get contacted by the police due to a report.

I understand your feeling and it's evident that it's ripped, I don't know if it worths or not but as last option you may report it to the authorities.

This is an interesting article based on US laws:

https://www.astuteo.com/articles/stolen-website-design/

Take some ideas from it ;)

• @Ishaq said:
    Spook them.

(+44) 0115-888-1282

Is a super moderator encouraging phone mobbing? Playing with fire aren't we?

• @andreamada said:
    Take some ideas from it ;)

A good read! Thanks!

@grimsdottir said:

Turns out the number is fake. @Ishaq @dailymc

• IshaqIshaq Member

grimsdottir said: Is a super moderator encouraging phone mobbing? Playing with fire aren't we?

"Phone mobbing"?

I was simply stating he should try calling and asking them to explain why they stole his design.

• deadbeefdeadbeef Member
    edited April 2016

@grimsdottir said:

Are you a racist against super moderators then? Are they not allowed to join in the joys of the general population?

• Wow he's at it again and didn't even do a good job at ripping it:

<link rel="”publisher”" href="../../../AppData/Local/Temp/fz3temp-1/”https_/google.com/+Onrahostcom”.html">

This is the guy: https://twitter.com/craigjamesprice Craig Price he's known for this and he doesn't last long with the sites / businesses he opens.

• Licensecart said: This is the guy

he's from skeggy no wonder..

• @Ishaq said:
    I was simply stating he should try calling and asking them to explain why they stole his design.

Err sorry, I didn't mean it like that. It was a cheeky joke :)

deadbeef said: Are you a racist against super moderators then? Are they not allowed to join in the joys of the general population?

The most forum-status-ist you've ever seen... (you know, like instead of being prejudice against skin color, it's against the status they are on the forum...

It was a bad joke, ok

• @grimsdottir said:

I was just messing with you :)

• K4Y5K4Y5 Member
    edited April 2016

@OnraHost_Zack said:
    Hi Everyone,

Looking for some advice. As some of you may know, Onra Host has a new website. (see https://www.onrahost.com/ I spent about 4 months personally designing it. It's based off of Bootstrap with FlatUI.

A customer informed me that it was ripped by another company. Website is http://trentnode.com/ - tell me that doesn't look at least a little familiar! (Also, I'm going to assume they don't have a license for that stock photo, yet I do). I took a look at their Facebook (link on their website) - look at that, the same stock photo, again (and somehow 2500 followers?) Seems to be a parent company- "Node Limited UK". If you need any more proof that it was stolen, view the source of the page, and search "onra" - 12 results. Then, open the custom.min css file- 68 more results.

I submitted an abuse report to OVH (IP 188.165.29.118 shows to be owned by OVH, Paris DC). However, I know OVH can be a little slow. What's the best way to deal with this? Whoisguard is enabled, FYI.

Take a pingdom, gtmetrix speedtest of their website (make the report public), or run firebug / other dev tools to generate the waterfall chart for the assets loading from their domain. Highlight the interesting parts.

Send them an email with the generated reports / proof and politely ask them to take the website down till the time they fix their hot mess.

Also, send an email to Shutterstock reporting their details and have them deal with their unlicensed photograph at the same time.

They will probably buckle under the added pressure much faster. Still, if for some reason, that doesn't help, call them out directly on facebook. :P

@OnraHost_Zack Just say the words if you'd like Craig trolled on twitter - https://twitter.com/craigjamesprice

• @deadbeef

I know :)

But those moderators, send them back to their own country. Lets build a WALL and then make the mods pay for it!

Thanked by 1deadbeef
  • badpatrickbadpatrick Member
    edited April 2016

Edit- took a xanax and I feel better now sorry

• @badpatrick said:
    Edit- took a xanax and I feel better now sorry

Gah, no use for my That Escalated Quickly meme now :(

• smansman Member
    edited April 2016

You yourself use bootstrap as the framework. So that kind of puts you under the same umbrella as bootstrap. Not sure what license bootstrap uses but I'm assuming it's one of the free to use and reuse ones.

Looking at that site I would say they used a lot of your CSS but a very big part of bootstrap is the CSS part. I know when I am doing theming I look at other themes for ideas and when I see something I like I will get the CSS for it.

Thanked by 1kkrajk