Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Scaleway... Dedicated cores that aren't really dedicated
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Scaleway... Dedicated cores that aren't really dedicated

hawchawc Moderator, LIR
edited April 2016 in General

Scaleway claims to be selling "dedicated cores". They told all of their customers that they sold dedicated cores. Their website mentions dedicated cores.

https://web.archive.org/web/20160412093551/https://www.online.net/en/dedicated-cloud

However, it came to my attention over their IRC, that a member of their staff has just admitted that it is not a dedicated core at all. Their cores are actually shared, and so are not "dedicated" as they are sold, and said on their website. I wouldn't mind (for the price) if they were shared, it is the utter lack of honesty and trust that they lost.

jbck: who told our cores are dedicated? - well https://www.online.net/en/dedicated-cloud
they aren't?
for that price i'd be surprised if they're dedicated :)
* Peasant65 has quit (Ping timeout: 246 seconds)
niluje: arnaud.
no, they're not
but the overprovisionning rate is (much) lower than our concurrents
oh?

There we go.....

Comments

• Popcorn all the way~

• AmitzAmitz Member
    edited April 2016

It's online.net. It's Arnaud. Any further questions? ;-)
    Who cares if the cores are shared or dedicated while their network is utterly useless from time to time - thinking about KB/s speeds through AMS-IX, massive packet loss that they deny and so on. I already cancelled two servers with them and the rest will probably follow. What a pity. I once really liked their service.

• exception0x876exception0x876 Member, Host Rep, LIR
    edited April 2016

@Amitz said:
    Who cares if the cores are shared or dedicated while their network is utterly useless from time to time - thinking about KB/s speeds through AMS-IX, massive packet loss that they deny and so on.

I cancelled a few servers at scaleway for the same reason. Also cancelled a server at online.net for that "support denial" thing they have.

• hawkjohn7hawkjohn7 Member
    edited April 2016

I cancelled one limited edition 29.99 euro this day.

Need more kidechire, hahaha

• I've cancelled 3x e3v3 in which I've paid 120 euros in setup fees and ended having packet loss.

• ButtersButters Member
    edited April 2016

https://status.online.net/index.php?do=details&task_id=533

btw they should better start to peer with DE-CIX

• I remember what they said about the amsix upgrade last month:
    "It should be done by the end of march"

• xyzxyz Member

So basically, they made a mistake, they fixed it.

The response?
    ZOMG LIARS!!!

Or did you buy, based on their statement of dedicated cores and they won't refund you?

• KrisKris Member

Dedicated cores... in this economy?

• I do not mind sharing. I like sharing. We are all human beings, and temporary in life. Why not share everything and live happy together. Sharing cores in Scaleway do not bother me.

Thanked by 2cassa MikePT
  • @xyz said:

The response?
    ZOMG LIARS!!!

Or did you buy, based on their statement of dedicated cores and they won't refund you?

A mistake? What about intentional false advertising to get more customers?

Also, they like their money too much, had to escalate it to a chargeback here.

Online.net is such a fun company

• PandyPandy Member
    edited April 2016

@xyz said:

The response?
    ZOMG LIARS!!!

Were did they fix this btw?

if you are advertised dedicated cores, a "baremetal" server, but instead are given shared cored, like on VPS (that they are also selling), whats the point on selling "baremetal"

@default said:
    I do not mind sharing. I like sharing. We are all human beings, and temporary in life. Why not share everything and live happy together. Sharing cores in Scaleway do not bother me.

i dont think its about that. its about them advertising it being 'dedicated servers'

they have both, dedicated cores 'baremetal' servers and VPS'es.
    They advertise it as different but now, they are the same?

///assuming this is all true tho

• NeoonNeoon Community Contributor, Veteran

So Premium.

Thanked by 1Riz
  • AmitzAmitz Member
    edited April 2016

Mathias said: A mistake? What about intentional false advertising to get more customers?

Which would not be the first time: Smaller CPUs than advertised, ECC-RAM servers without ECC-RAM and a mikmak (their network guy) who mostly looks like this when it comes to network problems:

• xyzxyz Member
    edited April 2016

Mathias said: A mistake? What about intentional false advertising to get more customers?

Also, they like their money too much, had to escalate it to a chargeback here.

I generally go with Hanlon's razor for explanations. Since it's probably difficult for clients to tell the difference, I'd say that they've admitted a fault rather than be caught out. But if they're refusing refunds, then that's a different matter.

Pandy said: Were did they fix this btw?

if you are advertised dedicated cores, a "baremetal" server, but instead are given shared cored, like on VPS (that they are also selling), whats the point on selling "baremetal"

The VPSes aren't dedicated cores. The baremetal server indeed does come with dedicated cores. Or are you disputing that too?

• Oh nice, now people are defending for the false advertising. It does not matter whether it's realistic to provide such spec or not. If you advertise it that way, you better keep it up.

• They launched and advertised an ARM cloud, but now they develop 64bit machines only.

They announced IPv6, but now they offer just a single /128 IPv6 address.

They announced dedicated cores, but those cores are in fact shared between users.

What comes next? Internet connection with many ping fails?

• haha, I left just before the confession...

Thanked by 1GCat
  • Pandy said: i dont think its about that. its about them advertising it being 'dedicated servers'

The dedicated servers are dedicated servers. The only thing is being shared is the storage (every 50GB), because it comes from a storage pool.
    The "dedicated" cores are about their scaleway vps instances.

• K4Y5K4Y5 Member

Mathias said: Online.net is such a fun company

What did you expect from a company that has an ASCII pony for a mascot?

• AmitzAmitz Member

Interesting. The link is suddenly down. The page was still available yesterday. Mmmh.

• hawchawc Moderator, LIR

Another copy is here http://archive.is/lfzdj

• rm_rm_ IPv6 Advocate, Veteran
    edited April 2016

K4Y5 said: What did you expect from a company that has an ASCII pony for a mascot?

With assholes like you that roam on the Internet, it was only a matter of time before that particular bit of creativity and playfulness in their image got pulled up as something to be used against them.

I get it, must be enjoyable to be a part of the lynching crowd, but geez have some fucking standards, don't blame a company when it tries to build a warmer and more personal relationship with the customers.

Guess you prefer your corporations to be all shareholder-run, profit-oriented, efficiently-managed, serious as if having a meter-long stick inserted into their anus, and certainly with no CEOs on IRC or anything of that sort.

• PandyPandy Member

@jvnadr said:

@xyz

yeah, my mistake. I thought we were talking about the 'baremetal' servers all the time, and not about spelling mistake on online.net's site. i havent seen them advertised as dedicated on their main website and was probably too quick to jump to conclusions.

sorry

• RhysRhys Member, Host Rep

@Amitz said:
    Interesting. The link is suddenly down. The page was still available yesterday. Mmmh.

Link works fine on my end.

• stormeye said: Oh nice, now people are defending for the false advertising. It does not matter whether it's realistic to provide such spec or not. If you advertise it that way, you better keep it up.

like how many providers advertise threads as cores here.. bet you don't disagree with that no?

• AmitzAmitz Member

@MeltedLux said:
    Link works fine on my end.

Yes - it started working here again, too.

• K4Y5K4Y5 Member
    edited April 2016

@rm_ said:
    With assholes like you that roam on the Internet, it was only a matter of time before that particular bit of creativity and playfulness in their image got pulled up as something to be used against them.

I get it, must be enjoyable to be a part of the lynching crowd, but geez have some fucking standards, don't blame a company when it tries to build a warmer and more personal relationship with the customers.

Guess you prefer your corporations to be all shareholder-run, profit-oriented, efficiently-managed, serious as if having a meter-long stick inserted into their anus, and certainly with no CEOs on IRC or anything of that sort.

I guess you prefer to have your 'playful' hosting companies go back and forth on their committed and misrepresented product specs, and feign ignorance when confronted about it.

But hey, as long as you can chat about the shitty network, and the 'oh-so-professional' support with their CEO on an IRC channel, everything has to be right with the hosting company and the world following your convoluted train of thought based on a tilted frame of reference.

Right, asshole?

• xyz said: But if they're refusing refunds, then that's a different matter.

Indeed, if they just refunded me, I wouldn't have to make a damn scene about it. That was their choice.

• NekkiNekki Veteran

Which product are y'all complaining about - the VPS range or the dedicated cloud servers?