Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Bind is a horrible..
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Bind is a horrible..

edited December 2011 in General

Uses like exact same resource as MYSQL? any other DNS systems? Really want to get my website to my .com rofl ty

Comments

• SpeedBusSpeedBus Member, Host Rep

why not use an external dns service ? You can find a few here : http://www.lowendtalk.com/wiki/free-dns-providers

• use NSD, it is using much less than bind for a few domain.

Thanked by 2glober Infinity
  • I'm actually surprised that we ave folks here even running dns locally. I thought the whole point of a LEB was to run as little as possible or needed.

• These days, it seems to be "let's see just how much I can cram onto this 128" :P

• @drmike said: I'm actually surprised that we ave folks here even running dns locally. I thought the whole point of a LEB was to run as little as possible or needed.

Also domain registrars usually includes a free DNS which does the trick, I use both.

• @monkuar said: Uses like exact same resource as MYSQL? any other DNS systems? Really want to get my website to my .com rofl ty

i also use nsd for centmin as a bind replacement - much less resource usage :)

Thanked by 1glober
  • Yeah use nsd - working at 10MB for me.

• @drmike said: I'm actually surprised that we ave folks here even running dns locally. I thought the whole point of a LEB was to run as little as possible or needed.

What about those of us who are using LEB's for our own DNS? I don't think everyone with a LEB uses it for webhosting, some may like to break services over several LEBs.

• InfinityInfinity Member, Host Rep

NSD goes at 4MB usage ;) Just use NSD or an expternal service.

• I'm actually surprised that we ave folks here even running dns locally. I thought the whole point of a LEB was to run as little as possible or needed.

At very low prices the VPS vendors cut corners. On the initial log-in to a VPS I bought a couple of months ago, one of the 2 nameservers the server was configured with was unresponsive. Not slow, but actually in a coma.. When I opened a trouble ticket, the tech advised me to use Google's nameservers. So basically, they are shifting some of their costs on to Google.

Running my own nameserver means that I am that much less dependent on the VPS vendor and their varying qualities of service. Just sell me the pipe and stay out of my way.

• I actually do it the other way arround. Site lives on shared hosting(low traffic site). and run DNS on VPSes. and obviously some other things. Worth mentioning the Shared hosting is in Australia.

I do host things on a few VPSes but only very static things like pictures :)

• @swsnyder said: So basically, they are shifting some of their costs on to Google.

We do that with time servers. Just ran my ntpdate for the laptop and it's setup to use Google's. (Really probably should point it at the local sever just to keep an eye on it. That's pointed at Denver.)

• kylixkylix Member
    edited December 2011

@drmike said: We do that with time servers.

Me too. But just because it will get quite costly and laborious to run my own atomic clock im my backyard. ;)

• sleddogsleddog Member
    edited December 2011

There's two things going on here wrt DNS...

1. Authoritative DNS, which is the hosting of DNS for your own domains.
    2. DNS lookups, which is your VPSs ability to resolve domains.

For authoritative DNS, NSD is a much better option than bind memory-wise. An even better option is to use off-server DNS hosting, like your registrar (if they provide that service) or a free DNS hosting service like freedns.afraid.org, or a commericial service like dnsmadeeasy.com.

For DNS lookups, check your /etc/resolv.conf. Test each one with a dig. If they don't work by all means open a ticket with the provider but don't get in a flap about it. Use public servers like Google's. And then run a local DNS cacher -- dnsmasq works perfectly, uses maybe 0.5MB memory and is readily available via yum or apt-get.

• @kylix said: Me too. But just because it will get quite costly and laborious to run my own atomic clock im my backyard. ;)

Brookstone has them for fifty bucks:

http://www.brookstone.com/atomic-clock-with-wireless-thermometer-and-moon-phase

You're a linux geek. Bet you could network that. :)