Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Help Transferring a Large File
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Help Transferring a Large File

agoldenbergagoldenberg Member, Host Rep

Hi All,

I need to transfer an 18GB file from bluehost, however the server I need to move it to is in CC Buffalo which is seeing about 500kbps downloading from them.

Can anyone help me out and grab the and place it on a temp host that has quick or good peering with CC buffalo? I'm happy to pay for it.

Let me know.

Comments

• WHTWHT Member

Wget not working?

• ehabehab Member

why don't split the file into lets say 250MB and rsync them, it can take 2 days but why not?

• hey i can help you get that file off of from there and put em on one of my websites if that will help or just email me. i can put that file on onmoviez.com and u can wget it then

• agoldenbergagoldenberg Member, Host Rep

@WHT its working but slow as fuck! And @Ernie's staff pretty much told me they won't do it for me because I have a self managed server....

Smaller files is still going to take forever you're just spreading it out to take longer.

I need to move this backup today not next week.

• transfer with screen and rsync?

Thanked by 1grimsdottir

@century1stop I need a faster transfer rate. Not a way to background the download. I need it done today not in 2 days, not in a week.

• StevenNStevenN Member, Host Rep

We can test wget'ing the file for you to test speeds if you like from one of our two US locations.

Which bluehost location are you in?

• ehabehab Member

i see what you mean.... best would be a physical copy or someone within same network ... just recalled a past memory of doing last moving and cleaning in same day.

@ehab a physical copy is likely out of the question. Their support are technically inept.

• oh :D humble apologies
    any test file I can try?

@agoldenberg said:
    century1stop I need a faster transfer rate. Not a way to background the download. I need it done today not in 2 days, not in a week.

• ehabehab Member

nice to see VMbox.

@vmbox is actually downloading the file as we speak. Definitely know where I'll be doing some business soon.

Thanks for all the suggestions folks. Part of why I love this forum.

Thanked by 1netomx
  • you can try the new transmission protocol suft .

Thanked by 1century1stop
  • mikhomikho Member, Host Rep

If you need help, pm a link and I'll give you alternatives.

• raindog308raindog308 Administrator, Veteran

agoldenberg said: I need to transfer an 18GB file from bluehost, however the server I need to move it to is in CC Buffalo which is seeing about 500kbps downloading from them.

You're competing against a lot of outgoing spam...

Thanks so much @VMBox for coming through for someone who isn't even a customer. You may have just made one for life!

Thanked by 1netomx
  • Try DigitalOcean or Vultr with hourly billing... Their networks are not bad

• StevenNStevenN Member, Host Rep

Glad we could help. :)

Thanked by 1Four20
  • FlamesRunnerFlamesRunner Member
    edited April 2016

Sorry, just can't resist doing another CC comment :p

Off-topic:

ColoCrossing RioRey DDoS Protection™

"Now slowing down your traffic and allowing attackers to brutally murder your server"

Now, why WOULD you move to CC Buffalo?

They have many more locations that have decent network speeds.

• BlazingServersBlazingServers Member, Host Rep

Is help still needed? Happy to help.

• SSDBlazeSSDBlaze Member, Host Rep

@BlazingServers said:
    Is help still needed? Happy to help.

Looks like VMBox got it covered.

• BlazingServersBlazingServers Member, Host Rep
    edited April 2016

@SSDBlaze said:
    Looks like VMBox got it covered.

Oh...I get it...

• jbilohjbiloh Administrator, Veteran

FlamesRunner said: Now, why WOULD you move to CC Buffalo?

They have many more locations that have decent network speeds.

A few months ago we made a network architecture change that fixed the sometimes slow download speeds in Buffalo. If you are having continued trouble please let me know.

• raza19raza19 Veteran

Make the file accessible via virtual host/subdomain . Cloudflare the subdomain and voila download now at epic levels .

Thanked by 1netomx

@jbiloh as you can see from this thread clearly there's still a slow download issue. Raised 2 tickets with HVH and they're telling me what I'm saying is unclear. It's an issue with Hibernia sucking.

I suppose anything is possible, I can't speak to Dacentec's network. I just tested our side and it looks good:

Thanked by 1dedicados
  • @jbiloh said:
    I suppose anything is possible, I can't speak to Dacentec's network. I just tested our side and it looks good:

Stop cheating and using Chicago - we all know it's the best!

• linuxthefishlinuxthefish Member
    edited April 2016

I can download it to my CC Chicago box if you want? 80 MB/s to Buffalo.

@linuxthefish said:
    I can download it to my CC Chicago box if you want? 80 MB/s to Buffalo.

Nice! :)

It's getting files to Buffalo from Dacentec that's the issue. Buffalo is slow as molasses downloading from almost every one of my other servers.