Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Scalewhy - Trouble paying the bill with debit card
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Scalewhy - Trouble paying the bill with debit card

ManiacManiac Member
edited April 2016 in General

I'm starting this thread to describe issues I had with Scaleway and to ask for your advice.
I've been Scaleway customer for quite some time. Last month I had an urgent need to try something on a KVM VPS and since they have released their new x86_64 servers I decided to spin up a machine just for two hours. Total bill for my usage is 0,04€. Now the most important part. My bank requires an SMS verification on every transaction I make online using my card. I can't switch it off, I can't do anything about it. Scaleway's system does not let me perform that verification and only tells me that my card was rejected and says to contact the support. I did. They seem to be clueless about it.
Did anyone have had similar situation with them? I can't figure out what to do since the support themselves is of no help.
Thanks!

Comments

• Maybe getting some virtual card? Or any other account from other bank? Or borrow a card from someone else? =P

• I was in same situation and now i using entropay for my payment, worth the reload fee for me

• @yomero said:
    Maybe getting some virtual card? Or any other account from other bank? Or borrow a card from someone else? =P

I don't feel like bending over backwards to pay a 0,04€ bill. It's on them to fix it.

• jarjar Patron Provider, Top Host, Veteran
    edited April 2016

@Maniac said:
    I don't feel like bending over backwards to pay a 0,04€ bill. It's on them to fix it.

You're the one with the unusual debit card. On the other side of the fence, they're probably not going to bend over backwards for your 4 pennies.

So it sounds like you probably won't be a customer anymore.

Glad we solved that. Now what's for breakfast...

Thanked by 1deadbeef
  • jarland said: You're the one with the unusual debit card.

3-D verification is quite common nowadays, I'm not sure if you knew.

jarland said: So it sounds like you probably won't be a customer anymore.

You got it. I'm not going to use their services anymore.

• jarjar Patron Provider, Top Host, Veteran

No it's really not that common yet. It's not unheard of, but no where near the point of being "common." Nor is support for it. Stripe doesn't support it yet either.

https://support.stripe.com/questions/does-stripe-support-3d-secure-verified-by-visa-mastercard-securecode

Thanked by 1deadbeef
  • WebProjectWebProject Host Rep, Veteran
    edited April 2016

It sound the issue with your card not provider. Could you tell us why your issue should became issue for the provider?
    If your card is declined in shop it doesn't mean that store is responsible about this transaction and should provide the goods for free!

• Suggest avoid companies who provide payments only by Credit Card

• Having a plain old reloadable card is a good policy. Works everyehere and you don't even care about security since you're not going to have any substancial amount that won't let you sleep at night.

• TsuyoTsuyo Member

I've also got a credit card that has MasterCard SecureCode implemented. The amount of payment portals who are enforcing it are in a minority, and I assume that the amount of card holders who have it enabled are also in a minority. ScaleWay is the first host for me where I've seen it being enforced. The difference is that my own bank has it implemented in the same way as logging in with multi-factor authentication (debit/credit card + token + PIN + challenge) when logging in for e-banking or iDEAL payments. I didn't run into any of the issues that you've mentioned.

• WebProject said: It sound the issue with your card not provider. Could you tell us why your issue should became issue for the provider? If your card is declined in shop it doesn't mean that store is responsible about this transaction and should provide the goods for free!

I guess my card is just too secure and I can't disable that. My bank enforces me to perform Securecode verification on every single transaction. Scaleway should give me a way to do this and they aren't. I've had similar issues with Online.net, although I could just re-add a card with them and I could pay the bill with the Securecode verification.

• You should join our Organization we don't care about our customers, just expanding our mafia empire is what we do best.

• mafiadon said: You should join our Organization we don't care about our customers, just expanding our mafia empire is what we do best.

If you let me do the Securecode verification on bill payments then I'll be happy to become your customer.