Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

As a provider do you get regular DDOS attacks?
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

As a provider do you get regular DDOS attacks?

edited February 2013 in General

Hi,
Well this should be an interesting discussion.

As a service provider are you often faced with DDOS attacks, even with no real explanation behind it?

We rolled out our latest advertising posts and suddenly last night (Typically while I was asleep) we was faced with a number of attacks and had resulted in Nullroutes from our provider (We didn't get much room to even investigate/stop it)
Somewhat lucky, it was only our main website/support which was hit and none of our clients was affected by it.

So does anybody else face these issues for no apparent reason? Kids playing with the "tools" or is it someone getting there knickers in the twist about our offers and worrying about competing with them? :P

Is certainly annoying to wake up to at the weekend lol

Comments

• jarjar Patron Provider, Top Host, Veteran
    edited February 2013

No. Most of the time you've angered someome along the way, or someone else did from your IP range/domain. Of course there's always the possibility of it being completely random, impersonal, or even a mistaken IP.

Usually though, one needs a motivation for their target. It doesn't have to be a good reason. I see that you had a company and up and sold the domain. Perhaps you've angered someone somewhere along the way that is keeping tabs on you?

So far everyone I've angered has given me a legal case against them (DDOS, residential IP, etc) that encourages them to simply leave me alone, because I'm not afraid of opening the filing cabinet and making the phone calls. I'm sure that'll change of course.

• @cia @fbi daily ddos attack?

• mnpeepmnpeep Member
    edited February 2013

For Game Servers, DDoS attacks happen weekly, or even more/less often.

Most come because some kid got mad on a server, and they just use scripts from HF in order to DDoS you. Quite sad actually.

• @mnpeep said: For Game Servers, DDoS attacks happen weekly, or even more/less often.

Most come because some kid got mad on a server, and they just use scripts from HF in order to DDoS you. Quite sad actually.

"We" are mainly hosting Minecraft and they became a daily prick. It is the reason we still got a few servers (with Hetzner) outside our owned hardware.

• AlexBarakovAlexBarakov Patron Provider, Veteran

Our main websites are attacked on weekly basis, especially when some kind of Ad is posted. Last time we had LEB post a month and half ago, the main website was flooded for over 48 hours. Lukily my filtering cluster infront of it works like a charm :)

• Hetzner offers DDoS protection?

• @black said: Hetzner offers DDoS protection?

No >:D