Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Why do I need to buy an EV SSL Cert
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Why do I need to buy an EV SSL Cert

sydsyd Member

I was recommended by few of my friends to buy EV SSL for my consultancy business website just to make an impression.

I would like to open a discussion here to know why do we need an EV SSL instead of standard one.

What are your thoughts ?

If you would recommend the same then from where I should buy it ?

Thanks

Comments

• Extended Validation SSL Certificates (EV SSL) activate both the padlock and the green address bar in all major browsers. EV SSL Certificates provide the strongest encryption level available and enable the organization behind a website to present its own verified identity to website visitors. EV SSL Certificates offer a stronger guarantee that the owner of the website passed a thorough, and globally standardized.

• @serverpick said:
    Extended Validation SSL Certificates (EV SSL) activate both the padlock and the green address bar in all major browsers. EV SSL Certificates provide the strongest encryption level available and enable the organization behind a website to present its own verified identity to website visitors. EV SSL Certificates offer a stronger guarantee that the owner of the website passed a thorough, and globally standardized.

Congratulations! You passed grade 3, you learned how to copy and paste. No. He's asking for YOUR thoughts, obviously he knows what a EV SSL is.

On topic, it depends on the company. I would rather trust the reputation of the company than just a cert. In other words, if the company has solid products, I would trust them even with $5 positivessl.

FYI, IgniteServers even got an EV SSL, but they soon deadpooled afterwards.

Thanked by 4K4Y5 sayem314 Amitz Pwner
  • k0nslk0nsl Member
    edited April 2016

LOL, I was just about done typing essentially what you already wrote to him.

I hate copy and pasta, and even more when no source is provided. That's really dirty.

[Edit: this is the source he copied from.]

@TheOnlyDK said:
    Congratulations! You passed grade 3, you learned how to copy and paste. No. He's asking for YOUR thoughts, obviously he knows what a EV SSL is.

Thanked by 1TheOnlyDK
  • I don't recommend buying one honestly the impression might be good but half the people who visit your site won't even know what an EV SSL is typically if their browser lets them access your website their fine with that. However it is good to have an SSL in general if users are purchasing anything from your website but to waste $100-$200 on an EV SSL really not worth it if you have the funds for it go for it but its not a necessity. Id trust a website with a good reputation over an EV SSL any day.

Thanked by 1vpsGOD
  • Although it does verify your company, it does not necessarily mean a company is good.

In my eyes, EV SSL = DV SSL.

Thanked by 1century1stop
  • K4Y5K4Y5 Member

Meh, its not really required.

Instead, try to focus on the quality of your consultancy services which will probably help get more clients, as opposed to swapping a cheaper 'green lock' with an expensive 'green bar' with the name of your site on it.

• I think most websites don't need it, but it is essential to some websites such as paypal, government or anything that involves important personal information, money etc.

• nepsneps Member

@syd

I asked the same question a few months ago when contemplating whether or not to go EV SSL for several sites. It all boiled down to: do you feel the EV SSL result in increased net income equal to or greater than the cost of the cert? I tested it with one site first. At first it was hard to say, but over time with more data, the answer was a resounding yes. Even if a cert results in an measly $50/month of additonal net income, you still recoup the cost of the cert and the green bar can't hurt.

Of course, pinpointing which sales you owe to EV SSL can be tricky. In my case I had before and after data to compare; when I saw the data from the sites I installed EV certs on, I went and bought them for several of my other sites. I don't regret it.

Thanked by 1deadbeef
  • ZappieZappie Member, Host Rep, LIR

Its cool and impressive and all, but at the end of the day makes no technical difference and those who know what it is know its pointless to put 'extra' trust in your site while those who dont know what the difference between normal and EV certs are... well they dont know the difference to begin with.

tl;dr Having an EV cert will defiantly increase your e-penis.

• oneilonlineoneilonline Member, Host Rep

Hey common now, it looks cool! LOL

Doesn't make much difference, like previously said, banks, gov, and likewise make more sense to use it so we can sleep better at night.

• Mostly because the big green bar looks really sexy in Chrome, haha.

It adds no practical security, but it adds perceived security.

• LocalnodeLocalnode Member
    edited April 2016

You don't need one, but it does make a good impression.
    Basically, you go the extra step, and the following criteria needs to be met:

Legal Existence

No Scammers

Trade Name

Operational Existence

Physical Address and Phone Number

Domain Ownership

Contact Authority

Comodo does EV SSL's for $99/yr.

I found it worth it. YMMV though.

• AmitzAmitz Member

TheOnlyDK said: Congratulations! You passed grade 3, you learned how to copy and paste. No. He's asking for YOUR thoughts, obviously he knows what a EV SSL is.

That is the same guy who loves to copy & paste tutorials, website themes and everything he comes across. And he is too stupid to understand that he is not welcome here, therefore he registers again and again and again... :-/

Thanked by 2TheOnlyDK Dylan
  • KamAKamA Member, Host Rep

@Amitz said:
    That is the same guy who loves to copy & paste tutorials, website themes and everything he comes across. And he is too stupid to understand that he is not welcome here, therefore he registers again and again and again... :-/

Seems he likes to make announcements in gibberish too: https://i.kamranali.uk/bd6dc39b9b684c3166b7.png

Thanked by 1doghouch
  • You buy it because the SSL sales guys tell you to! An EV SSL is only really useful to prove a company owns a website, like with https://www.paypal.me.

Thanked by 1gestiondbi
  • Whilst it certainly isn't necessary by any stretch of the imagination, it does carry several advantages. Having had ours for some time now, it helps establish trust and appears to have given a boost in order rates. For a lack of better words, it shows you went that extra step.

Either way, with how cheap they've gotten - it's not a huge deal to get it done.

• @MightWeb said:
    Whilst it certainly isn't necessary by any stretch of the imagination, it does carry several advantages. Having had ours for some time now, it helps establish trust and appears to have given a boost in order rates. For a lack of better words, it shows you went that extra step.

Either way, with how cheap they've gotten - it's not a huge deal to get it done.

Remember that this is LET - we're all "cheapos" :)

Thanked by 1MightWeb
  • mehargagsmehargags Member
    edited April 2016

It does make a big difference if you are in that line of business where TRUST and EXISTENCE of the company is really required. I have 3 clients working for the FEDs and I even though the website doesn't do an e-commerce of payment processing, the green bar itself shows a level of confidence when "skeptical" eyes are looking at your credibility.

So if your business asks for credibility and reliability... and you can afford it, definitely go for it. It also will surely make a difference in the SEO sooner or later!

• ScionScion Member

From a technical perspective the basic SSL certificate and the fancy one are no different from one another. One makes the address bar green and the other doesn't. You almost certainly do want to have some kind of SSL certificate so that traffic between your visitors and your website is encrypted, but in most cases the green address bar is not worth the extra cash.

The main way the certificates actually do differ is that the more expensive ones will include more information about your organization and will require more extensive checks to prove that you are who you say you are. The cheap ones just ask for your domain name and cursory proof that you own it. For the more expensive ones they'll actually do some research on your company and who you are. If you think your customers will take the time to actually read your certificate carefully, you may want to invest in a more expensive one.

This is a classic case of "know your audience." If you think your audience will be impressed and influenced by the green bar then the EV cert will be worthwhile. If your audience is technical, I'd say focus on getting your site a good grade on SSLLabs with a cheaper certificate instead. The actual encryption is the same strength either way.

Thanked by 1Ole_Juul
  • Are these EV SSL posts running off a cron job somewhere?

This has been discussed ad nauseam here and in most forums.

• Especially for ecommerce business, EV SSL remains the best as per business owner's perspective. You can read here, how?

But if talking about customer's perspective, they only see green padlock on the webpage on which they are entering their confidential information. It is also true that many customers already very well known about ev ssl certificate.

EV ssl certificate price is remains higher compared to single domain ssl because of higher level of authentication.

So as per my view, I will give 50% vote to ev ssl certificate and 50% vote to domain validation ssl certificate.

• @neps said:

A guy that actually tests! Awesome.

What niches (broad) are your sites in? Did you notice some niches responding better than others to the test?

• nepsneps Member

deadbeef said: What niches (broad) are your sites in? Did you notice some niches responding better than others to the test?

My top 3 niches are consumer electronics; 3D printed items and models; and jewelry and apparel. In my data, the higher the average transaction amount of the site, the bigger of an effect the EV cert had. In my case the sites selling consumer electronics benefited the most.