Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Kloxo and VPN both in LEB
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Kloxo and VPN both in LEB

raihan0888raihan0888 Member
edited December 2011 in General

Is there any way to run kloxo and vpn both?
i already run a wordpress site using kloxo.
But need to setup vpn for personal use.is possible?can you please tell how i install?

Comments

• first check ur vps provider allows vpn or not?
    if yes first enable TUN/TAP

Afterthat fallow the link or google it

webhostingtalk.com/showthread.php?t=1024872

• you could just tunnel though SSH? easiest way.

• +1 on SSH
    Why add more software if the functionality is already there?

• Yes, you can install VPN.

• kylixkylix Member
    edited December 2011

I guess most times people want to install VPN to bypass the restrictions of some WLANs like in hotels etc. Tunneling through SSH is most times not possible due to either port restrictions or because it might get complicated with MS Windows. You could of course put SSH to another port like 80 or 443 but this has the side-effect that you block the ability of running a webserver on that IP as well. OpenVPN can act as a proxy here, you let it listen on port 443 and everything it does not understand (no VPN "handshake") will be redirected to your webserver running on port 444.

• @kylix said: OpenVPN can act as a proxy here, you let it listen on port 443 and everything it does not understand (no VPN "handshake") will be redirected to your webserver running on port 444.

Wow, please tell us how :D

• kylixkylix Member
    edited December 2011

@yomero said: Wow, please tell us how :D

OpenVPN server.conf:
    proto tcp
    port 443
    port-share 444

And then let Apache/Lighty listen on 444.

See man openvpn:

--port-share host port
    When run in TCP server mode, share the OpenVPN port with another application, such as an HTTPS server. If OpenVPN senses a connection to its port which is using a non-OpenVPN protocol, it will proxy the connection to the server at host:port. Currently only designed to work with HTTP/HTTPS, though it would be theoretically possible to extend to other protocols such as ssh.

Thanked by 1yomero
  • WhizzWrWhizzWr Member
    edited December 2011

You could of course put SSH to another port like 80 or 443 but this has the side-effect that you block the ability of running a webserver on that IP as well. OpenVPN can act as a proxy here, you let it listen on port 443 and everything it does not understand (no VPN "handshake") will be redirected to your webserver running on port 444.

+1 I'm running the exact configuration mentioned above and everything works like a charm.

• So, SSL sites will work as always, and you will have OpenVPN in the same port, 443 right? Sounds cool.

And why not in the 80?

• kylixkylix Member
    edited December 2011

@yomero said: And why not in the 80?

Because OpenVPN uses SSL for its encryption and thus it is very unlikely to be filterable from normal HTTPS. If you would be running SSL over 80 everybody could filter that.

• Ok, but it works the same if I proxify the 80 and redirect to lets say... 82 right? I like it!

• @yomero said: Ok, but it works the same if I proxify the 80 and redirect to lets say... 82 right? I like it!

It should. I'm still hoping OpenVPN starts enhancing this proxy-mode to support more protocols. Something like DNS, SIP et al would be nice.

• you can have ssh and ssl web server reachable on same port easily with sslh

sslh lets one accept both HTTPS and SSH connections on the same port. It makes it possible
    to connect to an SSH server on port 443 (e.g. from inside a corporate firewall) 
    while still serving HTTPS on that port.
    Homepage: http://www.rutschle.net/tech/sslh.shtml

vpn is great however if you don't want to give ssh access to your server.
    Additionally be careful with ssh based socks proxy, some browser will make dns queries not through the specified proxy, but directly (this is at least the case for chromium with the option called "Predict network actions to improve page load performance" which is enabled by default)

Thanked by 1WhizzWr
  • Ok, sslh sounds nice. But it is written in Perl and depends on apache and a lot more. On a small VPS it's nearly unusable. And I'm speaking of 64MB RAM. So basically what I want to do is: using Port 443 for Openvpn, ssh and webserver. Is there a possibility to do that?

• It's not written in perl, but in c and I have it running on leb boxes. On debian it only recommends Apache, it doesn't depend on it. Just try it before complaining.

• japonjapon Member
    edited December 2011

Ok, so then there exist two sshl-scripts, one in C and one in Perl for the same purpose.

• I use Kloxo + SSH Tunels, Way faster and easier to set up.