Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Cloudshards Sydney Shitty Experience.
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Cloudshards Sydney Shitty Experience.

ATHKATHK Member

Hello all!

Back in August last year I decided to give Cloudshards a go, talking to @concerto49 for a VPS with specific specs, (link still valid https://www.cloudshards.com/cart.php?a=confproduct&i=0)

Sydney OpenVZ VPS - OpenVZ 256MB OZ
1 CPU
256MB / 256MB VSwap
8GB RAID10 HDD Space
175GB Bandwidth @ 1gigabit
99.9% Uptime SLA
1 IPv4 Address
8 IPv6 Addresses
TUN/TAP
Instant Setup

So where to start, I was hosting a closed recursive DNS server, straight away upon installing the OS I noticed a huge amount of random traffic hitting the server, unusual so I left it for a few weeks in hopes it would settle down, alas it didn't so I opened a ticket (#461677) fair enough. Odd that it started happening straight away, I didn't take them up on the IP change..

At this point I learnt that Cloudshards was single homed, they denied this, however it was proven by BGP records (hopefully I'm getting this right, I didn't actually do this part). My speeds offshore were dismal, this was suppose to a 1 gbit line, I ticketed in again.. To hopefully get a fix, I supplied all documentation they wanted, we took it further, fine, great I'm getting somewhere! But then, BAM! Paul logs into my server, without warning, without permission .. what a sad sad day (who know what this guy did to my box) (#550835)

A month down the track, I left everything as is, the DNS server was resolving my queries (the DC is about an hour away so it's nice and zippy .. for me) I gave up on the networking issues to be honest, it wasn't worth my time. Out of no where the server just goes offline, solus offline .. great (#556608)

A few months more 15/02/2016, server again goes offline.. I'm trying to keep my cool (#647269) It is getting frustrating, extremely frustrating. Considering I could've just got a server with RansomIT and been fine..

Four days later, this is where it gets fun, I was using my TS server talking to a friend, BAM server out again ... Now we both sat there waiting for it to return, it took awhile we ended up using Steam Voice Chat in the meantime (which outperformed this hunk of junk) (#357187) .. I just got fucking lied too!

Nine days later (fuck me) (#588204)

Month later, Asking for a refund and cancellation.. (#370180)

Totally gave up at this point, decided to send it a request to cancel the server at the end of the billing period (Yearly) and turned off the VPS. Their TOS said 30 days (I read this wrong missing the dedicated part infront) so I thought I needed to cancel earlier I didn't, but I did it anyway.

Now back to present day, my server has been cancelled, I cannot access solus .. good god how can you fuck up this bad bro. (#727840) Sad face :(

All in all I don't think I expected too much from these guys, the network issues where annoying, considering it was being used to backup to and fro, had a DNS resolver and a TS server used by 5 people...

I have still yet to receive a response to my ticket and I probably won't get one, I'm now in the process of reporting to the ACCC as their refund policy isn't in line with Australian Consumer Laws.

**When you can cancel a service ** https://www.accc.gov.au/consumers/consumer-rights-guarantees/cancelling-a-service

Thanked by 10xdragon

Comments

• Here's the direct link since the one you posted is only the cart confirmation: https://www.cloudshards.com/cart.php?a=add&pid=210

The network speeds are okay to me, while not stellar, it is usable.

However, I see the downtime you're getting is affecting your service -- mind posting a screenshot of UptimeRobot?

• ATHKATHK Member

Will upload in a second, considering I can push more out of my LES with RansomIT ID say it's a total fail..

• ATHKATHK Member

UptimeRobot

Ignore anything in RED, the TS server was sitting on LES for awhile before purchasing this new VPS with Cloudshards, the whole point was it apparently had a faster network, more BW and more hdd space. I was expecting to have an influx at some point. ( Red is where I've moved from server to server).

• raindog308raindog308 Administrator, Veteran

@ATHK I am by no means endorsing CloudShards (never used them) or saying that's good support. However, I'm not sure how much of a case you'll have.

Their TOS says "For each applicable plan with an uptime SLA, we guarantee a monthly average uptime of at least 99.9% (Shared/Reseller Hosting offers 99.99%) for your service with us". Your WHMCS link says an uptime SLA of 99.9%.

However, their terms say 15% account credit if they don't hit that and if you report within one week. You agreed to that - it's a bit vague because "average" isn't defined, but nonetheless there's an effective remedy you agreed to. Of course, $30 / 12 = $2.50/mo times 15% = 37.5 cents. Maybe they'd round up to 38 cents just to be nice.

https://www.cloudshards.com/terms.php

The SLA math (they promise 99.9%) is interesting...taking the minutes from your post and only considering the time period between red as you said:

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1g8YT0LIQzaaonu91_9Bl048MX9EUQT7QjRVof9AxMbI/edit?usp=sharing

So, looking at only the three full months:

• average uptime is 99.82% for the three months
    • for two of the three months, they're at >99.9% uptime
    • for the other month, 99.5%. That's all due to a single 3-hour outage, which seems a big outlier. Did that really happen or was that you working on the box? If you take that out, they're > 99.9% for all months, meeting the SLA.
    • if not, OK, one month out of three they are close but don't meet it, you get a credit.

Again, not defending CloudShards or saying I'd ever buy from them, but I could see some kind of arbitrator applying that logic. Not that you'd have one for a $30 dispute, of course...

I'd flee just because of the slow support.

• ATHKATHK Member

That's fine, totally fine. Remember UpTimeRobot is in intervals of 5 minutes, meaning the average outage your could add a few minutes to either the start and possibly the end of the total time. That said I get where you're coming from.

Uptime wasn't the only issue here, the network is horrible and they seem to just place the blame on their OS images or the end user (me), which in most cases is probably true for the latter.. I know what I'm doing and that's the difference here.

At the end of the day, I was not supplied what was advertised and I've asked for a refund which is reasonable and part of the law, I gave them over 6 months for the issue to be fixed and nothing has been done.

• shovenoseshovenose Member, Host Rep

You're kind of being a pretentious dick throughout all of the support tickets. Treat them like the human beings they are and maybe they will be more inclined to help you. Also, you definitely should have done their suggestion (reinstall VPS) to attempt to resolve issues, since as per their responses you were the only customer on that node experiencing issues, unless they made that up, but I kind of doubt it.

• ATHKATHK Member

shovenose said: You're kind of being a pretentious dick throughout all of the support tickets.

You try dealing with them for nearly a year without any resolution. I do agree, I gave up, I got the shits and that obviously came out in the tickets.

• raindog308raindog308 Administrator, Veteran

ATHK said: That's fine, totally fine. Remember UpTimeRobot is in intervals of 5 minutes, meaning the average outage your could add a few minutes to either the start and possibly the end of the total time.

99.9% only allows 43.8 mins of downtime a month, and another way to look at the data is that it wouldn't take much more downtime to push them over the line, particularly if some of those 0s should be rounded to 5s, etc.

Honestly, I know that if I had a VPS that was down even 30 mins a month when I wanted to use it, I'd be gone, and that's >99.9%.

• ATHKATHK Member

raindog308 said: Honestly, I know that if I had a VPS that was down even 30 mins a month when I wanted to use it, I'd be gone, and that's >99.9%.

True, and I used this box pretty much 24/7 it was my primary DNS server..

They've responded to my ticket and graciously recreated the VPS, speeds seem quite nice now

Speedtest (IPv4 only)
    ---------------------
    Your public IPv4 is 103.60.240.8

Location                Provider        Speed
    CDN                     Cachefly        78.1MB/s

Atlanta, GA, US         Coloat          9.42MB/s
    Dallas, TX, US          Softlayer       12.0MB/s
    Seattle, WA, US         Softlayer       11.7MB/s
    San Jose, CA, US        Softlayer       14.5MB/s
    Washington, DC, US      Softlayer       9.03MB/s

Tokyo, Japan            Linode          3.11MB/s
    Singapore               Softlayer       15.2MB/s

Rotterdam, Netherlands  id3.net         3.95MB/s
    Haarlem, Netherlands    Leaseweb        11.8MB/s

Disk Speed
    ----------
    I/O (1st run)   : 235 MB/s
    I/O (2nd run)   : 385 MB/s
    I/O (3rd run)   : 416 MB/s
    Average I/O     : 345.333 MB/s

Service has been re-provisioned. Please consider using something more reliable than Uptimerobot to monitor uptime.

We ourselves use Pingdom internally and have found it to be a lot more accurate than Uptimerobot (which seems to report on MANY false positives).

I've seen the reverse results with Pingdom. But I'll hold them to that and set it up now.

The constant downtime was the issue, although small, running a DNS server you can't afford any outages be they small or large.. So lets see if that's changed.

• shovenoseshovenose Member, Host Rep

Try Statuscake. It's excellent!

• ATHKATHK Member

@shovenose said:
    Try Statuscake. It's excellent!

Will add that as well as NixStats, thanks.

• trewqtrewq Administrator, Patron Provider

@raindog308 He has a case. Not offering a refund for services not rendered is against consumer law.

Consumer protection in Australia is no joke, an investigation will be started by the ACCC for this. The investigation will most likely just be a letter sent to Query Foundry and then a refund being issued.

• They've had a bunch of network outages this year that has also impacted Dediserve clients at the Sydney location.

The last month has been better though it seems.

• pbgbenpbgben Member, Host Rep

There are plans to lay a new transan cable so that will help with bandwidth prices.

• agoldenbergagoldenberg Member, Host Rep

@ATHK careful! They might report you to fraud record for absolutely no reason other than this review.. lol!

• ATHKATHK Member

Just an update on this. The re-provisioned server they gave me .. is now offline, i can't access SolusVM with the new details they sent me either.

• I have very good experience dealing with Alex Barakov when he was with LiquidHost