Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

How long does vzdump take?
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

How long does vzdump take?

DrukpaDrukpa Member
edited February 2013 in General

Normally how long does vzdump of a VPS (~30GB) take?

I initiated a vzdump on my openvz VPS one hour ago, and its still running. In the configuration file, I set the bwlimit = 10240 , and the command I ran was

vzdump --suspend VPSID

What would be a proper bwlimit ?

Comments

• Two hours now, and its still running. 10MB/s x 2 hours = 72GB. But that VPS is only 30GB.

• It needs on CPU and IO speed. The slower the server the slower.

• My SSH timed out, and the vzdump quit. Checked the /vz/dump folder, and its not there, only some logs and a tmp file.

Am doing it again now, this time, I have set the bwlimit to 50MB/s. Why the hell does my SSH time out? There was no network interruption at my end or the server's.

• @Jack said: Do it in screen...

Ok, already started the dump. Thanks, next time will surely do it in screen. Didn't know a thing like that existed. :)

• trewqtrewq Administrator, Patron Provider

I run anything that will be running for more than a few minutes in a screen. Just solves so many problems.

• @trewq said: I run anything that will be running for more than a few minutes in a screen. Just solves so many problems.

This. When I'm working on a 3G connection, the first thing I do when I ssh into a server is open a screen.